Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689301
  • Total Topics: 118271
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some infinity models I painted  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some infinity models I painted
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
gaming standard ... ouch  lol

could you find another term that makes the likes of me feel a bit less naff?

When someone paints to your standard, finding well-heeled repeat customers and getting a 'name' is everything I guess.
But good to hear you're able to sell casually on Ebay for what I hope is reasonable money (if not you're doing both yourself and other painters a disservice remember). Most folk on ebay (uk) from what I've seen want to pick painted figs up for less than the price of them new in a box.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:11:20 AM by Bloggard »

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 02:33:52 AM »
gaming standard ... ouch  lol

could you find another term that makes the likes of me feel a bit less naff?

When someone paints to your standard, finding well-heeled repeat customers and getting a 'name' is everything I guess.
But good to hear you're able to sell casually on Ebay for what I hope is reasonable money (if not you're doing both yourself and other painters a disservice remember). Most folk on ebay (uk) from what I've seen want to pick painted figs up for less than the price of them new in a box.

Well I'm not making a lot of money, though that's more due to lack of work. The upshot is that I have a pretty easy life which to me is worth a lot more than a bigger bank balance.  :P

Right now I'm going through a transition period were I'm focusing on improving my painting and not thinking about what grade the result is or charge rate. Instead I am exploring in what I can achieve in around 3 hours with the goal of making the models have as much impact and visual interest as possible. I'm still working out what steps contribute to the end result and what can be dropped, but so far the results are promising. 

As for the name,  they are still gaming pieces as that's the frame of reference I'm using to decide how to paint them. So, how about "(NEW IMPROVED) High-Impact Gaming Standard"? And maybe "Collectors Standard" for the better quality?

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 02:31:29 AM »
Really top notch stuff! :-* :-* :-*

I can't find working links to your ebay page though buddy!

Neither can I!  :? I suck at business. Turns out you can search for a username on ebay too so just look up opponenttheory. US only mind you.

Here are some more infinity models, this time painted as a commission.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 06:10:40 AM »
Fantastic! :o I don't know if its an age thing(mine obviously! ;)) but I'm getting a serious Tron vibe off of those two guys with the robotic pandas!

I think I've said it before, you are one of my favourite painters on here! Inspiational!

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
Fantastic! :o I don't know if its an age thing(mine obviously! ;)) but I'm getting a serious Tron vibe off of those two guys with the robotic pandas!

I think I've said it before, you are one of my favourite painters on here! Inspiational!

Thanks Andy, I appreciate your comments. And yes I'm trying to be a little more creative with these infinity models and test ideas for adding more visual interest.

Here are the last of the infinity models before I start on more superheroes:

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
Nice work.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 07:19:09 PM »
So I've not been posting much of late and since I paint for a living you could guess what that means. If it wasn't for that harry potter commission I'd probably be packing boxes for amazon. Since earning something is better than nothing I've been painting infinity models to sell on ebay for a bit less than I'd like. So far it's going okay as I've earned more money than I would have and also picked up a new client. Another benefit is that from all of the practice my quality/time ratio has bumped up. These are all technically what I call my gaming standard.

RKSrlQamlL27g22X2A/JSA+102.JPG?format=1000w[/img]

]

More photos on my website:

Which figure is the giant lion guy - 2nd from left above? I searched the infinity shop, but couldn't find it.  Thanks