Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 64706 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
heh, he's brilliant.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
I did a little bit of work on the gobbos last night.

I added magnets to my foot-Warlord and his weapons so I can swap between heavy weapon and hand weapon.

I also sculpted the bottom of the Dire Bat riding Warlord's feet.

Lastly, I put the finishing touches on two more models that I will use when I play the Old Feud scenario from the Book of Battles.  In this scenario, each player selects a character from a list of six archetypes (i.e. The Brute, The Counselor, The Traitor, The Soldier, The Princess, and The Mystic).  Each character has different stats, abilities, and equipment.  Each player's goal is to eliminate his opponent's character and to protect their own character.  The "First Player" selects a character first and his opponent selects a character from the five remaining options.  Each character provides different advantages and disadvantages, but I suspect that most players would agree that The Brute and The Soldier are the strongest choices. 

The model with the big axe is from the Shieldwolf Miniatures forest goblin Kickstarter.  Compared to Shieldwolf's plastic forest goblins, this model is huge, which makes it ideal to serve as The Brute.  The model's arms come from the Avatars of War Dwarf Rangers kit.  The axe blade comes from the Frostgrave plastic Gnoll kit.  The axe haft is a spear shaft from forest goblin kit.

The model holding the severed head is Shieldwolf Miniatures' Goblin Hero B.   This model will serve as The Soldier.  To make the model look a bit more like a forest goblin, I removed the spikes from the shoulder and knee pads.  I also removed the axe from its right hand and clipped the sickle shaped blade from the top of the weapon held in his right hand.  You can't see it from this angle, but I added a pouch, a sheathed knife, and some feathers to rear of the model.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2020, 03:28:30 PM »
I ordered two sets of these little critters from Mortal Arrow Miniatures (the goblin is present for purposes of size comparison).  I'm going to use the small ones to decorate some of my forest goblins' bases and the warband's Sacred Ground terrain.  I may use the larger ones and groups of the smaller ones to make Swarm levies for Lords of the Wild version of the warband.

The legs on the little ones lie flat, but it's not difficult to bend them so that look more like proper crouching spiders.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2020, 10:51:27 PM »
Another great project!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »
I won a bits auction that has some of the Arachnarok Howdah bits... since some say imitation is a form of compliment, I am trying to replicate your genius to make a spidery catapult for giant spider worshippering tribesmen in Mirkwood.

Since you have been so generous already sharing how you did the spider legs from that GW spider rider piece I feel a bit guilty asking but any advice on the catapult?

Thanks for the inspiration!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2020, 12:21:55 AM »
Since you have been so generous already sharing how you did the spider legs from that GW spider rider piece I feel a bit guilty asking but any advice on the catapult?

I'd be happy to, but without WIP shots of the assembly, the best I can do are the images below.

I began by putting together the tower assembly.  Fortunately, the front and rear tower sections and the small platform were designed to fit together so putting together the tower assembly that will form the foundation of the catapult is quite easy.

Prior to gluing the Front and Rear tower sections together, I recommend that you remove from the vertical pieces identified in the image below.  The catapult requires two long vertical arms at the front half of the tower assembly to hold the catapult arm crosspiece, so you will use one of the vertical pieces removed from the rear tower section to create Long Arm #2.  The long arms are 'load bearing' pieces, so if you aren't using plastic glue, I recommend that you pin and glue Long Arm #2 into place.

You may also want to trim the ends of the platform pieces identified in the image below.

Once you have Long Arm #2 in place, you will attach to the long arms two short lengths of pieces that you previously removed, to form the the Y-shaped forks that the crosspiece will rest on.  Alternatively, you can use short lengths of plastic or metal rods for this, and cover the rods in greenstuff to make them match the limbs and branches that make up various pieces of catapult.

When I built my catapult, the ends of my Y-shaped forks were too short, so I had to use greenstuff to extend them.  This is why these portions of my catapult look like they are made entirely of greeenstuff. 

The distance between Long Arm #1 and Long Arm #2 is too short to fit the crosspiece of the catapult arm bit, so you will have to cut away the webbing and portion of the crosspiece indicated in the image below.  Once you can fit the crosspiece section of the catapult arm between the two long arms, you will need to create a new crosspiece.  You can do this by drilling a hole through the catapult arm where the previous crosspiece was located. You will then insert our own crosspiece, which you can make from short length of plastic or metal rod. 

When I'm done sculpting, I take the leftover greenstuff and roll it into a ball, cube, or a dowel and let it cure. I then throw these extra bits into a small box.  I find the GS dowels to be particularly useful when I'm converting models.  I used one such dowel as the crosspiece for my catapult.

This profile shot gives you a pretty good look at the tower assembly, long arms, and Y-shaped forks that the crosspiece rests on.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:16:13 AM by Koyote »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2020, 06:00:52 AM »
You are a star! Thank you for such a detailed explanation. That is much more than I was expecting and I really appreciate it. Much as I hate spiders personally, even more son I hate seeing bits like this go to waste when they could instead be used as you have done. You are truly inspirational and I doff my cap to you sir.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2020, 06:58:28 AM »
This thread is far from my genre of games, but I started following cause to its originality!
Seeing your analytical how-to explanation for the catapult, I can't hold myself to congratulate you greatly that you took the time to do it!
You are the kind of friend modeler anyone would like to have, mainly because you share your knowledge generously! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »
Koyote is a real gentleman. I reached out to him through friends of his about another thread (check out his other projects, just amazing) and he was kind enough to get back to me here and answer some questions I had about parts he sourced. Super helpful and his work is an absolute inspiration every time.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2020, 12:32:05 AM »
Thank you for the kinds words.  Always happy to help.  :)

My tiki-mask goblin minis have arrived. 

One idea is to use them as counts-as Shapeshifters for a forest goblin Lords of the Wild warband.  I have a friend who has as dwarven Masters of the Underearth warband, so when I play against him, I intend to use my forest goblins as a LotW warband.  In my desert nomads LotW warband, I use assassins as counts-as Shapeshifters. I can do something similar with my forest goblins.  Instead of assassins, my counts-as Shapeshifters will be fanatics who, by licking the skin of poisonous tree frogs, enter into a nigh unstoppable frenzy when battle is joined. 

These fanatics are recruited into the Cult of the Frog Lickers as adolescents (who are generally too young and dumb to know better). Sadly, because the cult's activities involve two very dangerous pastimes, imbibing poisonous hallucinogens and frenzied hand-to-hand combat, few of the cult's warriors ever make it to adulthood.

I present to you, the Frog Lickers.  The model comes in only one pose, so I left one model in its original pose and re-positioned the arms of the other three.  These little fellas can serve as counts-as Shapeshifters for a LotW warband or as a small unit of foot hearthguard.

I also did a little bit of work on my Bruiser and Soldier.

You can't see it well in the photo, but the severed head now has its tongue lolling out.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:34:14 AM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2020, 06:31:52 AM »
I finally got around to finishing the flying carpet.  If I play my desert nomads as Great Kingdoms, it will 'count-as' my Sorcerer's flying mount.

Painting a proper design on the carpet was something that I dreaded, so I cheated and used a Little Big Men Islamic banner decal.  The banner was narrower than the smooth portion of the carpet, so I painted a red border around the decal. I applied a coat of Vallejo matt varnish to the banner and then used watered down paint to darken the red on the deal to better match the red I used to paint the border.

Small magnets and pins to hold the Sorcerer to both its infantry base and the carpet.

Here's a WIP shot of the flying carpet, showing the location of the magnet and pin. After this photo was taken I replaced the clear plastic rod with a flying stand taken from a Privateer Press Cryx Carrion Thrall model.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:18:51 AM by Koyote »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
That is brilliant! You don't see enough flying carpets on the battlefield!
Although does he need an assistant to lug the carpet around when the Sourceror is on foot? ;D

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Really cool!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
Genius! Loving it.