Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:54:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 65768 times)

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2021, 07:44:36 PM »
Here's the second Biped Creature.

As I mentioned above, I'm going to hold off on the third Biped Creature until my Westfalia Saracen Ogre arrives.  In the meantime, it's time to get to work on my Static Warmachine.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »
Love that vivid blue!

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2021, 02:25:00 AM »
I’ve got good news and bad news.  

The good news is that my order from Westfalia Miniatures arrived lightning quick -six days from my order date.  Also, the quality of the miniature is excellent.  I will certainly be buying from Westfalia again.

The bad news is that the model is not suitable for my planned purpose. As you can see, in comparison to the GW and Avatars of War ogres, the Westfalia ogre looks like the runt of the Araby ogre litter. Such a shame. I really do like this mini.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »
'Half-Ogre' maybe? 

I had held off making my order of the same model waiting to see how he scaled up with your stuff.  Shame, really.  I'd still have to use him somewhere.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2021, 12:44:04 AM »
Static War Machine

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2021, 06:43:15 AM »
Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
Excellent work on the war machine.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm not too happy with how the wood grain turned out. It's too dark and too thick.

After I posted the photo, glazed all the wood parts with a thin glaze of Army Painter's Soft Tone.  That darkened the highlights so the contrast between the wood grain and the surrounding wood isn't so stark.  I'm still not thrilled with the final product, but it is what it is.

My Atlantis Miniatures' Sphinx arrived the same day as the Westfalia ogre runt.  I am very please with the quality of the cast and the sharpness of the details.  I only hope that my painting skills can do this model justice.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
Here's my third Biped Creature.  The big, gold sword clearly identifies him as the leader of my Araby Ogres.

If you look closely, you will see a big brown blob of paint on the sword's cross-guard.  I didn't notice it until after I had cropped and resized the photo.  I have no idea where it came from.  I suspect that my 7 year old may be the culprit.  I have since repainted that portion of the cross-guard, but I'm too lazy to get out my lights and reshoot the model, so I'm posting the photo as-is, blob and all.  :)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »
I have no idea where it came from.  I suspect that my 7 year old may be the culprit.

I think he may be responbsible for some odd paint splashes on some of my mins as well  ;D

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
That atlantic spinx is epic, very much looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2021, 11:21:29 PM »
Wow. Ogre looks like a mad djinn.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »
Wow. Ogre looks like a mad djinn.

Or this guy...

Although, if you are younger than 40, you may not recognize this Bugs Bunny reference.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »
  :o :o :o

It’s fantastic to see you reviving this thread.

Fingers crossed you will get back to your Rus/Rus Princes

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2021, 11:40:01 PM »
I've spent the last couple weeks taking stock of the models I've already painted for this warband and fixing some of its aspects that aren't working for me. 

I started by slightly darkening the shade of blue on their robes and headscarves and adding a bit more shading to the recesses.  I also changed the color of their skin tone.  I really wanted the models to have a very dark skin tone, more Sub-Saharan (like the Sub-Saharan troops of the Almoravid armies than reinforced the Taifa states in the 11th century) than Saharan, but my painting skills just aren't up the task.  My very dark skin tones look okay under good light, but under regular lighting conditions (or the gloom of the Adepticon tournament hall) the facial details get lost quite easily.  Instead, I repainted the flesh of almost all my models using Mournfang Brown (instead of Rhinox Brown) as the base, so my Moors skin tones now look like my Tribal Hunters mercenaries (pictured below).

I finally got around to adding greenstuff scarves to my kitbashed crossbowmen.  The scarves cover the defects in the Gripping Beast plastic Arab heads and gives them that desert nomad feel.  Remember, my warband is an contingent of tough, desert dwelling Berbers/Tuaregs, not effete city-dwellers in their silks and Persian slippers. 

I've added rocks and bones to their bases, so all that's left to do now is to glue texture to their bases and they are ready for paint.

Another choice that I regret is the use of the fully veiled Gripping Beast plastic Arab head on my AoM warlord mounted on the giant eagle.  The fully veiled was a boring choice, so I dug around for bits boxes for a more interesting head.   The model now sports a head from an Artizan Design's Andalusian Noble Cavalry miniature, but it's blank expression is making me have second thoughts... 

Lastly, I updated my Spinx's base, by replacing some of the rocks with some scattered bricks, adding a few more bones to the base, and putting an arrow shaft into the skelly.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:47:22 AM by Koyote »