Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 65913 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
Okay, I've change my mind (again) on the direction of my AoM desert warband.  I've heard a lot of good things about the Great Kingdoms warband, but the board looks kinda boring.  Plus, due to local Covid outbreaks and my work, family, and painting schedule, I doubt that will have any time to play-test Great Kingdoms prior to Adepticon.  So now it's back to Plan A, play them as Lords of the Wild (which I already have experience with).

To ready my AoM desert warband for Adepticon, I need to paint a unit of 12 levy, a scourge, and a warlord on a flying beast.  Since I'm a chicken when it comes to painting big models, I think I'll tackle the easy models first, the levy. 

Lords of the Wild levy come in two varieties, swarms and levy armed with javelins.  I need more missile troops in my list, so I opted for the javelin-men.  The minis I'm using are Perry Miniatures' plastic Sudanese Tribesmen.  They will represent the tribe's young men who haven't yet earned the right to wear a 'warrior blue' tunics.  They go into battle without the traditional face scarves (the Lithim) so that their acts of valor can be witnessed and properly attributed to them.

Last night I added rocks and bones to the bases and used GS to fill gaps and fix some of the defects in the models.  Tonight I will add texture and primer.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:03:16 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2022, 09:26:34 PM »
Very nice. It has been said before but the Sudanese is such a versatile kit. I used some for my Lords of the Wild levy too, just stock some bearded heads on them, painted them white skinned and called them wildmen from the deep woods.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
Very nice. It has been said before but the Sudanese is such a versatile kit. I used some for my Lords of the Wild levy too, just stock some bearded heads on them, painted them white skinned and called them wildmen from the deep woods.

I would echo that. Both that they look very nice and that the Perry Sudanese are a really versatile kit.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »
I missed the latest updates here - this post is gold!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2022, 08:50:21 AM »
Such converting genius.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2022, 05:54:00 PM »
Six down, six to go.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2022, 10:41:29 PM »
Nice, really like the skintones.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2022, 09:18:56 AM »
Oh aye, they look brilliant. Quite inspirational in fact! Photo saved so I can reference it when I get around to painting mine.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »
Last night while waiting for the inks to dry on my next batch of levy, I did a bit of work on my warlord.

Previously, I replaced the warlord's original head, which was fully veiled plastic Gripping Beast head, with a helmeted head because I want the model face unveiled.  The conversion wasn't my best work. The new head, which I posed poorly, has a short beard and hipster mustache that is curled at its ends

I reposed the head so it’s looking down the spear shaft, snipped off the curled up ends of the mustache, and used greenstuff to fill out his beard.  His face doesn't have the fierce expression I'd prefer, but I prefer a stoic warlord to a bored, daydreaming hipster warlord.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 02:32:37 AM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2022, 08:17:29 PM »
Yup, better, much more natural pose.

Offline The Golem

• Bookworm
  • Muddy fellow
    • My hobby blog (in french)
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2022, 09:55:42 PM »
This thread is very inspiring! Keep it up! :-*

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2022, 05:29:58 AM »
I really like the pose and the sculpt.

Only thing that keeps jumping out at me with that is the length of the spear...I keep thinking about how could someone actually use the spear there to actually hit something as it looks to short to do more than stab at something the mount is already shredding there or would come crashing down on you due to reach above.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2022, 07:27:10 AM »
Definitely worth the effort, it really shows the impact of a well posed sculpt.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »
spectacular  :-*

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2022, 06:21:11 PM »
The Age of Magic warband that I'm going to bring to Adepticon includes a mounted Sorcerer, however, the model that I want to use for this is mounted on a base that is a bit too small.  SAGA requires mounted models to be on bases no smaller than 20mm x 40mm and no larger than 50mm x 50mm.  The sorcerer's current base is a 32mm round. 

To avoid any confusion or hassle at the tournament, I started work on a 40mm round. However, once I put the sorcerer on the larger base, I noticed how small the carpet looks in proportion to the sorcerer.  This Brother Vinni sculpt is one of my favorites, but it looks like the sorcerer is flying about on a magic doormat or a magic bath towel, not a magic carpet.

One of my favorite online pastimes is seeking out new miniature manufactures and buying fun or useful minis to stock my bitz boxes.  Last year I stumbled upon Effincool Miniatures, which sells an odd assortment of fantasy and sci-fi minis. Effincool also has a pervy miniature line called Court of the Sultan.  In addition to all the gratuitous boobs and schlongs, this line includes furniture and scenery bits, including an ornate rug.  The ornate rug is a wonderful mini, not only because it’s cast in white metal, allowing one to bend it to mimic the motion of a magic carpet, but it has the decorative pattern carved into it surface, so you don't have to hand paint your own design.

To my eye, the ornate rug looks a bit too large, but when compared to the flying doormat, it's a big improvement.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 07:05:42 PM by Koyote »