Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 64631 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2020, 12:54:51 AM »
That is brilliant! You don't see enough flying carpets on the battlefield!
Although does he need an assistant to lug the carpet around when the Sourceror is on foot? ;D

That really is brilliant.  Excellent job on the carpet.

Being magic I am sure it just follows the Sorcerer around at a safe distance...
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
amazing attention to detail. A master craftsman.

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »
loving your stuff,
specially bedouins army!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »
loving your stuff,
specially bedouins army!
Thanks, if you want to see more of my painted Berber Tuaregs check out my Moors thread in the Medieval Adventures forum.  The painted models begin on page 4.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=119599.0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:16:10 PM by Koyote »

Offline Shieldwolf Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
Can we see the finished army in an overall picture? Have you had time to get to that or, even better, painted them?
Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top?! :D

Thank you!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2021, 10:08:12 PM »
I tend to bounce around a bit from painting project to painting project. In mid-2020 I changed gears from SAGA historical and fantasy to post-apocalypse: LINKY

In October 2020 I decided to set down my brush for a while to focus on a writing and game design project.  That kept me busy until a month or so ago, when I lost interest in most everything hobby or gaming related. 

Not doing anything hobby or gaming-related has been very bad for my mental health, so it's time to pull myself up by my boot straps and get back to it.

The only question is do I ease myself back into painting with a smallish project like my Necromunda Cawdor gang or dive headlong into a big project like my SAGA AoM goblins or undead?

Can we see the finished army in an overall picture? Have you had time to get to that or, even better, painted them?
Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top?! :D

Thank you!

This morning I did a Google-image search for "shieldwolf forest goblins" and aside from the photos posted by Shieldwolf for the Kickstarter and their webstore, I found very few images of painted Shieldwolf forest goblins.  This is a shame considering how fun and characterful these models are. It's an army that I've waited decades for someone to do right, and I think Shieldwolf has done just that. 

And while the plastic forest goblin kit is great, the quality of Shieldwolf's white resin character models is less so.  In a couple of instances, the resin casts were downright awful.  Also, as I posted earlier, the scaling between the goblin plastics and goblin resin models is off by quite a bit.

In the past Fireforge had the same problem.  They made some great plastic kits, but then supplemented some of their lines with absolute garbage soft resin models.  BTW, if you are thinking about buying Fireforges' resin Medieval Russians or Armies of Islam, don't.  I bought a half dozen of these kits and all were poorly cast, malformed, and peppered with air bubbles. Absolute garbage!

In Fireforge's defense, I did not have this same experience with Fireforge's newer resin models, such as the resin models that were part of their Forgotten Worlds Kickstarter and their King Richard model.  These resin casts were all quite good.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:29:27 PM by Koyote »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2021, 02:32:49 AM »
Go for the smaller Necromunda project.  Ease your way back in.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
I was just thinking yesterday about how I hadn't seen any hobby updates from you in a good while!

A small project is probably a good idea to start, but what do you want to work on the most? What strikes your fancy?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2021, 08:36:19 AM »
I was wondering where you have been mate! Glad to hear you are ok. In these challenging times “radio silence” can be caused by a number of different things, some worse than others.

As for your question, I would say ease your way back in with the Necromunda gang. Hit your groove then tuck into your forest goblins.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I think I will start out slow(ish) by picking up where I left off with my AOM desert warband.  This will let me start small with a single unit, but that single unit will contribute a much larger existing project that is already two-thirds complete.

The orignal plan was to use them as Lords of the Wild, but since my forest goblins make a more obvious LotW warband, I'll use my Moors as the foundation for a Great Kingdoms warband.

Warlord -beast (flight)
Paladin -winged mount
3 Biped Creatures
1 Scourge
8 Warriors -no equipment
8 Warriors -no equipment
8 Warriors -mounted
12 Levy -bows
12 Levy -crossbows

I have already painted 16 Moor warriors (no equipment), 8 Moor warriors (mounted), and 12 Moor Levy (bows), so with the exception of one more unit of 12 Levy (crossbows) which I can use in Age of Crusades as well, all that I have left to paint for my Great Kingdoms warband are the fun units, like characters and beasties.

I'm not a fan of the domains of Energy and Light, so I think I'll skip the sorcerer and spend the points elsewhere.  In my Great Kingdoms warband, my painted wizard on a magic carpet will be used as Paladin on a Winged Mount.  The model doesn't have the fierce expression or menacing expression as you'd expect on the face of a monster slaying hero, so I am going to dub him Ali the 'Pensive Paladin'.

The first new unit I'm going to tackle is this unit of Biped Creatures.  Two of these big guys are my favorite GW Ogre models, the Araby Maneater. The third is a converted Avatars of War Ogre Khan.   After that I will tackle the remaining 3 units.

Warlord on Flying Beast

Levy with Crossbows

And finally, I just ordered this beauty.  It's Atlantis Miniatures' Sphinx.  I will use it as a Scourge. 

One of the problems you can get into with flying creatures is that if you are too aggressive with them they can get stuck out on their own, without support.  With 3 flying units, the flyers in my warband can be used to support one another.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:56:33 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »
Looks like a scary quick force. Love the flying carpet wizard.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
Ali the Pensive Paladin looks amazing!

Glad to see you getting back into the swing of things.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »
I'm not a fan of the domains of Energy and Light, so I think I'll skip the sorcerer and spend the points elsewhere. 

Light is a handy domain if you are running a bunch of Creatures since you can use Laying on Hands to remove fatigue
Energy also helps boost the Creatures as you can use Elemental Barrier to gice the Creatures cover.

I agree that for the most part a Spellcaster in the Great Kingdoms is rather a special case scenario but I have had success specifically using them to keep Creatures and Minsters on the table.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2021, 05:28:38 PM »
Light is a handy domain if you are running a bunch of Creatures since you can use Laying on Hands to remove fatigue
Energy also helps boost the Creatures as you can use Elemental Barrier to gice the Creatures cover.

I agree that for the most part a Spellcaster in the Great Kingdoms is rather a special case scenario but I have had success specifically using them to keep Creatures and Minsters on the table.
Thanks for the tips.  I hadn't thought of that.