Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:03:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 65559 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2021, 12:49:30 AM »
All the units look amazing.  I like the idea of the veiled  warlord. 

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
I’ve added some reinforcements to my growing goblin horde.

The model on the right is my warband’s new sorcerer. It’s an Avatars of War Forest Goblin Shaman 3D print.  It’s a huge improvement over my original Shieldwolf mini shaman.

I've also made some good progress on my Chasm marker.

I've designed it to fit my goblin's theme.  Rather than causing the earth to open up beneath the goblins' enemies, the goblins conjure or release a nest of giant spiders. 

You can't see it in the photos, but in each large trunk section there are holes from which spiders are crawling out.  I can imagine hundreds of giant spider spiders pouring out of the knotholes and from beneath the trunks, spreading out and skittering over everything and everyone nearby.

The marker measures 6 inches by one inch.  I built it from bits from the GW's Arachnarok Spider kit, GW's Citadel Woods kit, and Green Stuff World's resin mushrooms.  I still need to add foliage and texture to the base.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:16:51 PM by Koyote »

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »
Ooh, nice

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »
That's great, what a neat idea for re-flavoring that spell.

If you wanted more variety for the little spiders, you might take a look at Mortal Arrow's "arachling" set:

https://www.mortalarrow.com/product/bag-of-arachlings/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2021, 05:54:13 PM »
That's great, what a neat idea for re-flavoring that spell.

If you wanted more variety for the little spiders, you might take a look at Mortal Arrow's "arachling" set:

The one metal spider pictured in the photos is from the Mortal Arrow arachling kit.  It's rounded legs didn't match the other spiders, so I carved off the bump on the top of each leg, cut tiny notches into the top of each leg to make them look more segmented, and then carefully shaved each leg down.

I've also added Mortal Arrow spiders to the bases of some of the larger models in my warband. It's a fun kit.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:57:29 PM by Koyote »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #215 on: August 31, 2021, 06:13:54 PM »
I've also added Mortal Arrow spiders to the bases of some of the larger models in my warband. It's a fun kit.

Indeed.  Fond of their little beetles, too.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »
Great to see your work on this again mate! Much as spiders creep me out, still great to see your imagination realized.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2021, 06:47:49 PM »
I've added some ferns to my Chasm marker.

The Masters of the Underearth battle board has 3 advanced SAGA abilities that are assigned to a specific unit and remain in effect until the end of the player's turn.  I've created a marker for each of these abilities, to help me and my opponent remember which ability affects which unit.  Each marker is built on a 32mm base.  Bases large enough for a small diorama and to stand out from my infantry models, but not so large that it takes up too much space on the table.

From left to right: Traps, Tenacity, and Cave Dwellers.

Since spiders are already an important part of this warband's themes, I reasoned that massive web would serve nicely as a physical representation of the Traps ability.  The web is another bit from GW's Arachnarok Spider kit.

Tenacity means possessing a strength of will.  Synonyms for this word include determination, persistence, steadfastness, grit, and also courage.  This SAGA ability gives extra defense dice, with the trade off of suffering a penalty to the unit's attack dice.  Coming up with physical representation for this thing that happens in one's mind was a bit tricky.  However, when I boiled it down to the question, what can make one both brave but less skillful, the answer became obvious -alcohol/drugs.  This fella is drinking down some "liquid courage".

The ability’s name, “Cave Dweller”, doesn’t give one much to work with, so I had to look beyond the title for inspiration. Like Tenacity, this is a defensive ability, but instead of providing extra defense dice, it provides a unit solid cover.   The answer came to me when I was digging around in one of my bits boxes, and happened upon sigil stone with a peculiar carving on its surface. The stone is small enough to fit on a 32mm base, but large enough to hide a goblin.

A goblin warrior crouching down and taking cover behind a huge stone seems like a fitting physical representation of this ability.  Plus the stone has this great carvings on it, that kind of looks like a primitive goblin holding up a sword and spears.  Perfect!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:47:30 AM by Koyote »

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2021, 09:15:31 PM »
Koyote, the flavour and attention to detail in these markers is absolutely superb. Between you and Ogrob, I've had to go and check out SAGA: Age of Magic now!

Top notch work and I'm hoping I can find a few players near me who might be interested in trying it out. Really thematic, flavoursome work.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2021, 03:46:16 PM »
Great ideas for the markers and nicely executed.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
Extremely cool.

Makes me want to investigate Saga AoM.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
Thanks everyone. 

I agree with Knight-Captain Tyr, Ogrob is a rock star.  His enthusiasm for the hobby is only matched by his excellent conversions, sculpting, and painting.

If you haven't tried out SAGA, you definitely should. 

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2021, 09:15:11 PM »
I agree with Knight-Captain Tyr, Ogrob is a rock star.  His enthusiasm for the hobby is only matched by his excellent conversions, sculpting, and painting.

:P

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »
I built the models pictured below to serve as Destruction Teams for my Masters of the Underearth list. 

I used them a couple of games, but I wasn't impressed.  It's is shame that Destruction Teams aren't more effective, because they really are some fun models.

My plan is to play my goblins in the Adepticon 2022 Age of Magic tournament.  The  tournament rules have not been published yet, so I searched the Adepticon archive and found the rules from the cancelled Adepticon AoM 2020 tournament.  The 2020 rules instruct each player to bring 3 objective markers.  Players may bring themed objective markers to gain extra points for their appearance score. 

Problem solved!

My shaman war drummers may not have a future as destruction teams, but with the addition of a 3rd model, I can use the models as themed objective markers.

Below is what I've come up with for my 3rd themed objective marker.  The statue is a ceramic tiki statue bead that I bought from a seller on Etsy.  I purchased a half dozen of these to decorate my goblins' Sacred Ground terrain.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:04:11 PM by Koyote »

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2021, 06:49:36 PM »
A thematic little trio! And it's always a task to find uses for our creations even when things change. Custom objective markers always adds a lot of character to any army.