Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Soviet Force for Battlegroup NORTHAG  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Soviet Force for Battlegroup NORTHAG
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks Gunbird - and on the tip on shipping - I’ve put BG books into my cart before only to see the shipping was just bonkers.

Too bad about the lack of other forces in the book; even if there were West Germans I could probably approximate Canadian forces, with the notable exception of the Lynx recce vehicle (could also probably figure out a reasonable best guess).

Books will be softcover so are limited in the page count, there is only so much you can put in. Just wait till it has been released and see if it is something for you, and if it sells as expected there will be more books, for the other nations/sections.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »

You can only fit so much in a single book... as otherwise it gets too big and costs alot to ship, see your previous note on shipping costs.

It's a direct effect of those costs that PSC elected to go with a lower page count softback books for Northag, so production and shipping would be lower than the larger hardback Battlegroup books.

NORTHAG is the rules and two lists, same format as the Battlegroup rulebook. The second book - CENTAG - will be a book of NATO and WARPAC lists. The actual lists wont be confirmed for a while but the aim is to fit in as many as possible.

So I'm afraid smaller books, is PSCs way forward on this, in order to try and reduce costs in response to customer comments on weight and postage costs... so we have to put up with less in each book as a result.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 07:41:51 PM »
Not intending to tread on anyones toes whatsoever....

While you wait for the offical release, have a look at Richards Chamber's Cold War Hot Hot Hot blog here .

He's done a huge amount of research and run a dedicated subforum on the BattleGroup Wargame Rules forum, here , which includes the Canadian 4CMBG Battlegroup

Should be just what your looking for!

And bloody hell Mr Brand- 10mm! that is a cracking lot of Soviet Liberators of the Oppresed Masses
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:06:11 PM by Flinty »

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
Good links, I'm now seriously considering painting my Land Rover 110 in Berlin Brigade colours...

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »
Just to be clear though, Richard's excellent work is for his own free fan mod of Battlegroup based on early work of a playtest set myself and Warwick came up with.

Northag now, is a different game as we didn't feel the current WW2 system worked as we wanted it too for Cold War.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Just to be clear though, Richard's excellent work is for his own free fan mod of Battlegroup based on early work of a playtest set myself and Warwick came up with.

Apologies - should have made that clearer.

Northag now, is a different game as we didn't feel the current WW2 system worked as we wanted it too for Cold War.

Excellent news! I shall continue to clutch money in my sweaty palm with anticipation.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
Not intending to tread on anyones toes whatsoever....

While you wait for the offical release, have a look at Richards Chamber's Cold War Hot Hot Hot blog here .

He's done a huge amount of research and run a dedicated subforum on the BattleGroup Wargame Rules forum, here , which includes the Canadian 4CMBG Battlegroup

Should be just what your looking for!

And bloody hell Mr Brand- 10mm! that is a cracking lot of Soviet Liberators of the Oppresed Masses

Thanks for that; there’s some good info, but definitely lots of places he could make changes. The broad mixing of eras is one issue, for me, but to each their own. Some errors as well, but minor really.

Cheers.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 04:52:12 AM »
Bump, to get to the top of 1billion Vietnam threads and Hue out of proportion to anything else.  lol

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:43 AM »
Agreed - bump!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
Piers,

how much will be the time lag between Northag and Centag? I know there will be economics involved and also gauging players' support, but it looks you could have the two volumes released at the same time.  I am worried that some people will not shill their pennies for Northag until Centag is out because their forces are not included.

Said that, frankly with a Northag title one should have expected also West Germans, Dutch, Belgian, Danish, and US on the NATO side, and NVA and Polish on the evil communist side... the title is nice but a misnomer. Call it Battle Group: Cold War (I would go for BG: Red Hammer...) because it looks it is basically rules with just 2 organizations... and let's be frank... with a fully deployed NORTHAG III Corps alone would have outnumbered BAOR...

Best,
Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
...because that's how PSC want to release it...

...based on customer feedback that wanted slimmer softback books that cost less to post.

So what was to be one hardback book... is now two softbacks, that are cheaper to sell and cheaper to post.

Clearly some want the opposite so proving the point that no decision will ever please everyone...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
...because that's how PSC want to release it...

...based on customer feedback that wanted slimmer softback books that cost less to post.

So what was to be one hardback book... is now two softbacks, that are cheaper to sell and cheaper to post.

Clearly some want the opposite so proving the point that no decision will ever please everyone...

I’m ok with two soft backs - as long as they’re close together, and of course include a solid 4CMBG list.

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »
Releases are all down to PSC now for Battlegroup  and Northag... we just write 'em.  :D

Offline eptingmike

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 12:36:05 AM »
Hello all,
I am very intrigued by this upcoming ruleset and would like to get a head start.  Unfortunately I am not very well versed in the equipment used in the timeframe covered other than generic designations i.e. t-72, m-1, etc.  Would anyone be able to chime in and give a more accurate designation for the armored vehicles used by the forces at the time?  I don't want to go and pick up stuff that is too early or too recent. 
Thanks!
mike

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2019, 01:15:49 AM »
Hello all,
I am very intrigued by this upcoming ruleset and would like to get a head start.  Unfortunately I am not very well versed in the equipment used in the timeframe covered other than generic designations i.e. t-72, m-1, etc.  Would anyone be able to chime in and give a more accurate designation for the armored vehicles used by the forces at the time?  I don't want to go and pick up stuff that is too early or too recent. 
Thanks!
mike

If you pick, say, mid 1980s as your time frame, let me know. I have multiple pictorial PDFs of the former Armoured Acorn website which shows motor rifle divisions, armoured divisions, support - literally everything you would want at 1:1 scale. I downloaded the entire website before Barry sadly took it down. The amount of material is staggering.