Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - NEW FAQ from Warlord  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: SPQR - NEW FAQ from Warlord
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »
once someone told to me... 'stupid people are ingenious'  lol

The rules say... 'a phalanx makes shooting attacks as normal but only against targets in its front facing' (pg. 22)

yes they can make ranged attacks... but no one bothered to check who is allowed to make ranged attacks, namely people equipped with ranged weapons: sling, bow, javelin, stones.

A pike phalanx cannot make ranged attacks. The rule is in place for Thorakitai who have javelins and can form phalanx, and probably also for Hispapysts that can have similar equipment. Those two units can use the phalanx rules to represent close order formations. Makes sense to me, and no it is not about throwing pikes. I am surprised the TMP chaps did not read the shooting rules (only weapons with range can shoot). But it is TMP after all...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
Had my first game of SPQR last night, so feel I can comment on the game. I enjoyed it. Although it is a rather quick game. We were able to play two games in under 2 hours. My friend Luke had bought some Caesarean Romans. He had one large squad and his hero. His troops were quite expensive, with chain mail, pila.
I had chosen to have very cheap figures. I had slingers, hunting dogs and a large unit of spearman wearing only their birthday suits. I had two heroes, one leader and one Druid. The Druid was very effective.
Slingers were fairly ineffective against armoured troops, but still took out a couple of man before the melee started. The hunting dogs were always wiped out by the Romans, but not before they had taken some of them with them. However, the large unit of spearmen with the Druid was very effective. I ended up winning both games.
So, my final thoughts. We were both new to the game, but the rules are very simple and we were able to pick them up very quickly. The rules perhaps do not have great depth in tactics, you basically have to either try to get your troops into contact, or to stay away and shoot. As Luke only had one unit he was definitely at a disadvantage. The dice of fate allows you to choose whether to go first or second, so that can be quite crucial. So moving your figures so they can charge does not always work if your opponent gets to go first. You can end up with a double go. The other factor to consider is the order your units take their actions. The other things that you need to consider is the equipment you give to your troops and the talents that your heroes have. I feel there is definitely scope for a campaign with troops being introduced to your force and advancement of your hero. It works as a game with historical flavour. Am playing again next week, so will have more thoughts maybe then.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »
I'm not going to comment on SPQR because I don't own it and have not played it. This is obviously fun and easy as one can see from demo games on the net. I won't say that it is unhistorical for the reason that a phalanx would have a range capacity, because it suits the greek word phalanx definition and, as mentioned earlier, concerns such troops as hypaspistai and thureophoroi-thorakitai which were phalanx people and could throw javelins nonetheless. But pike-armed pezetairoi obviously cannot shoot anything other than curses to the enemy.
Now if like me you may appreciate more plausible scenarios than playing druids and dogs bashing legionaries like drunk on magic potion,  then just have a look at Mortal Gods dealing with the same level of play: individual hero(s) plus squad(s) of companions. Here I can assure you that you'll find a strong academic depth blended with the great fun.This is absolutely historical and very cleverly amusing and smooth on the table at the same time. You don't have to read greek history in the text mind you: just play and have fun as with SPQR,  but with plain trust in the pertinence of the simulation. If that is important for you, as it is for me.
 May I remark also that, if it is quite easy to make fun out of late republican Romans fighting Gauls or Britons, as proved by their popularity since the very beginning of WRG Ancient army lists and rules (I started with 5th edition), this is another story for the Classical Greeks! Boring to play with they used to say! Well just have a go with Mortal Gods and you tell me after!
This is for the time being: I'm waiting for Clash of spears and probably will use it for slightly larger forces along with MG and it's many extensions.
And then, for a core detailed simulation of full classical hoplite battles, from early morning breakfast to trophy erection on the battlefield, I'll stick to Hoplomachia, the free masterpiece rules available on the net. So, really, no one can still pretend that it's not possible to enjoy ancient Greek warfare on the tabletop!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
hahaha...

thanks for hoping for CLASH, indeed more and more Greek warfare is needed.. Mortal Gods is fun and hopefully CLASH will help you do bigger skirmishes and pit greeks against western foes like those mean carthaginians invading Sicily !

I thought you post demanding love for greek warfare was fun, else those romans take all the attention :)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »
Awesome gauls/celts Mark !

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 10:57:14 PM »
Mark M Down@
A few questions if I may Mark.
How many points of troops were on the table?
Would smaller units of Romans be better?
Then you could have 2 units.
Any idea of the number of dice on average were rolled?
Thanks for any answers to my questions.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »
Luke, playing Romans had one hero and I think had 16 Legionaries.
I had two heroes, 8 dogs, with 2 handlers, 12 slingers and 18 warriors with spears. That made for 500 denarii per side. Points in the game are measured in denarii.
If I had been choosing to play Romans I may have gone for some cheaper units like archers or auxiliaries and lost 3 or 4 legionaries.
When shooting I rolled one dice per figure. When in melee it was 2 dice per attack. So my 18 warriors rolled 36 dice. That was the biggest number of dice rolled. Our heroes rolled 2 dice each too, except for My Druid that just had the one.
Once rolled, the successes must be re- rolled if you have a parry ability. The Romans had 3 parries per figure. So 10 men have 30 parries. Basically any successes I had had to be re-rolled.
Then saves are rolled against any re-rolled successes. Romans save on a 3,4,5 or 6. So lots of dice rolling.
Hope this helps answer your questions.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
Thought the reference to "shooting" attacks with a phalanx was simply their way of representing the Macedonian formation, incorporating the long reach of their weapons with a ranged attack that can target nearby units to the front, without being in melee where you would be hit back? Don't have the rules, but sounds sensible to me.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Thanks Mark for the reply.
I hope to play a game with friends late next month.
They are painting figures, (I hope).
I have some painted all ready.
I will post what I think of the game when we play.

Offline DegenerateElite

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 02:21:22 AM »
I've had this game on order from Warlord since the end 1st of Aug. and finally got the ship conformation for it.

Longest ship time I've ever had from them, though it might be the Horch heavy car for Bolt Action that held it up, who knows.

Am looking forward to messing around with it, and at the very least, all the bits will work well in Broken Legions and other games.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
Luke, in your experience how "lethal" was combat?

Would one charge be at all likely to wipe out the opposing unit (excluding cases of extreme disparity in units)? Or was it more of a 2-3 rounds of combat, medium-to-slow attrition affair?

Offline DegenerateElite

• Bookworm
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 09:55:31 PM »

Offline CommanderBaker

• Bookworm
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 06:01:41 PM »
Lots of talk on facebook about the changes to melee. seems to be a well liked change so far.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »
the changes from units to single figure contact, made the game less heavy on your wrist... I like it.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2019, 08:10:33 PM »
My final thoughts having played it again. 3 units a side makes the game quite exciting.
The game is quite light in content and those looking for a highly skilled tactical game are in for a disappointment. However, the upside is that the rules are really easy to pick up. We only referred to them on about two occasions. The game is also very quick. We played two games in about two hours. I think the main part of the game is to play a campaign over the evening where the heroes advance and units come back or not. Looking forward to playing more with a campaign in mind. The units are nice and small and so can be assembled quickly and can be changed to gain more variety. The new rule with figures only in base to base contact fighting in melee will make the game more balanced I think. Here are some Romans I painted up for my latest game. Want to try out cavalry next.