Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A favour from a US member?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
A favour from a US member?
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
So I have found 2 classic oldhammer figures on eBay which I would love to complete a set but because they’re using ebay’s Global shipping program, to get them sent to the U.K. is ridiculously expensive.

So...can anyone tell me how much it would be to ship 2 standard human metal miniatures from the US to the U.K.?

If so, I may try and find a US forumite who might be willing to let me have them posted to them and then send them on to me in the UK...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: A favour from a US member?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »
Still, very expensive.

Minimum was around $18-20 USD last time I checked.  It's been a year or two though.  eBay's worldwide shipping program thing is a crock because it's even more expensive and just slower/crappier.

The US does not have subsidized shipping, and we pay the full amount, whereas the US actually picks up the shipping cost of stuff coming in from other countries (to increase commerce).  Whatever it costs the USPS and its affiliates to ship it...we pay it full.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:52:49 PM »
Depending on weight a small packet/envelope with the figures will be at least $14.50 first class mail.  If you still need help contact me at richard@recreationalconflict.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »
That's a little bit better than I'd remembered, though I was probably shipping 1lb.+ items which automatically get categorized as priority shipping.  Recreational Conflict are good dudes.  Give them a shout.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 02:54:17 AM »
Some sellers will agree to "alternative" shipping arrangements...

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »
Some sellers will agree to "alternative" shipping arrangements...

Unfortunately I have asked them both and they have both said they are only willing to ship through eBay's program.

I'm just trying to work out if it is worth getting them both shipped to someone in the US and then getting them to post them on to me...

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
Still Happy to help.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »
US has ridiculous shipping - to anywhere. I can order from anywhere in the EU for cheaper than US, and I live in Canada.

Insanity.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
The USPS does offer subsidized shipping and offers discounts for bulk shippers, like parcel services for Amazon, to compete in the market with UPS and FedEx. Average sellers, such as on eBay and game stores, don't benefit from the market rates, so have to pay standard prices, but this is no different than European countries.

Based on discussions with eBay sellers, around 2015, USPS consolidated its postage tiers, so this is why 1-8 oz costs $13-$15 to ship to Europe, but despite the parochial griping, the postage is still cheaper than ordering from the mainland: y'all want to know what's ridiculous? Excluding eBay's Global Shipping Program, beloved by some here, two or three 28mm shipped from the UK is £3.50-£5.00, but almost double that from France, worse from Germany and forget about Switzerland. TBF, eBay does offer low rates for shipping from mainland Europe, compared offsite sellers and their flat rate options: for instance, three figures from Forge of Doom is ~15€, in contrast a blister pack of 6-8 miniatures from Foundry is £6 and postage is cheaper for French graphic novels from Amazon UK than Amazon France.