Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 104399 times)

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (New battle report pg 45)
« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »
What a lovely table You had!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #676 on: July 09, 2021, 12:32:18 PM »
Thanks! Mrs. GG deserves any credit. I felt it was a bit sparse but Mrs. GG had to work with what we have on hand. We will feel much better when our Wildlands and Icy Wilds Kickstarter pledges arrive.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #677 on: July 09, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
I concur with BZ, the setup is quite good-looking.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #678 on: July 09, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »
Thanks! Mrs. GG deserves any credit. I felt it was a bit sparse but Mrs. GG had to work with what we have on hand. We will feel much better when our Wildlands and Icy Wilds Kickstarter pledges arrive.
I dont feel that its sparse. Its playable, what is very important!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #679 on: July 09, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »
Rick,

Reading about the pack animals. I like your idea about the capture the flag aspect. A few questions though, as I don't suppose I understand what purpose they serve.
1) Is this purchased just to allow for hauling loot?
2) Could you completely break a scenario by only capturing a pack animal which would be better than the victory conditions earned?
3) Could a pack animal require a handler, which may be dragged about by a spooked animal? This could then at least lend an element of tactical consideration. Leave the mule with a character you don't need in battle? A strong character who can best a mule in an opposed "test of wills" roll?

Otherwise, I think the table looked good. It didn't strike me as sparse, and I'm not entirely sure if that matters in a game that leans heavily on getting face to face. It isn't like you need cover from opposing troops comprised of archers. You have a little of that (or could), but melee battles don't need to be set up with so much density as I think that would only serve to create choke points rather than tactical options. If you have to funnel troops into small gaps then that would be more like cave fighting than the woods.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #680 on: July 10, 2021, 04:34:13 AM »
The pack horse in Battle Companies really seems to be just a tool to work around the limited carry space of the individual models. In the rules the characters can not carry both a torch and a rope, only one or the other, for example. And could carry neither if they were wearing a “concealing” cloak or poisoned weapons. Strictly by the book, I think items could be carried on the packhorse and the first turn characters could equip themselves as needed for the scenario but then that disrupts first turn deployment options. We currently house rule that items can be stored on the pack horse and dished out prior to deployment on the first turn but the book keeping of how having additional equipment only temporarily in regards to the models’ points value is a headache and easily forgotten.

Yes, I think there is the risk of breaking scenarios if the packhorse has too much value.

Making the choice of who to make the handler something tactical is a good idea.

You make some good points about the table. I have a bad habit of craving overly dense tables, I suppose because of modern combat line of sight considerations. I need to get over that, especially if we are going to play Sharp Practice in the future.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #681 on: July 10, 2021, 04:36:42 PM »
Late to the conversation, but that is a great looking table. Not too sparse, but certainly allows for great combats to take place. Just off to read your blog.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #682 on: July 10, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
The table would probably suit a different scenario better. Aftermath, the scenario we played does not drive players to make the most of the elevation and rough terrain.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #683 on: July 12, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »
Well, you could make the pack mule a minor goal rather than major. Perhaps reaching the mule would simply eliminate the ability to carry the additional items until the group can again reach a town. If killing the mule is too dark, then maybe the "capture" entitles the opposing team to as many items as they can carry (could be zero?) and/or an influence point? I assume the capture wouldn't be too dear at that point but could be enticing enough to give it a go if the opportunity arises?

Or, maybe just assume that mules are lashed to a tree just out of sight and ignore the complication if it doesn't add some enjoyment to the game. I can see the reason behind their existence, but I'm not sure that it sounds like they have any functional value as written.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #684 on: July 13, 2021, 07:02:16 AM »
Yeah, Mrs. GG and I discussed the pros and cons of just running it off board but that got me thinking about other things off board, such as wounded characters… and that got me thinking it would be cool to have the wounded with the pack animal.

And some scenarios have the defenders in camp on the board but their wounded are kept off board.

Mrs. GG is unsure if my ideas on this will break the game but I think there is a cool narrative element to this. Both Thorin’s Company and the Fellowship of the Ring had pack animals with minor plot points associated with them. It seems in keeping with the tone of Tolkien to have pack animals a part of the game and actually on the table. And I think they look cool, although I only have a few painted up right now.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (New terrain pg 46)
« Reply #685 on: July 14, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
I managed to finish some more terrain this past week.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/07/14/continuing-the-world-building/

Not as glamorous as minis…

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #686 on: July 14, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
I think the mix of trees looks good together. I assume that some of the more tropical trees will fit with your Pirate games quite nicely. Don't forget to check out aquarium plants too. There is a ton of decent fodder there so long as you resign yourself to painting them up and not just using them as they are. A little greenstuff work also helps smooth some of the rough edges. I figure you can either pay more and skip some of the leg work or pay less and plan to put some effort in. I prefer doing more work myself with the idea that anything I accomplish is truly unique. Since you seem to modify and touch up everything you put your hands on, I assume that you have a little bit of that desire to make it your own as well.

As for print lines, I've been goofing around with some ways to smooth that over without resorting to solvents or heat. For some ruined buildings I've been stippling liberally with a PVA/spackle/sand mix that I think has worked pretty brilliantly. It doesn't dry very thick, but it does blur the print lines. I will also say that really bad print lines are the result of crappy printing. I assume that some companies have monetized the ability to speed print in low quality, and thus the very obvious print lines. I've generally been impressed with the quality of printed items on my home printer when I'm not in a rush and I can allow for fine detail and long print times.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #687 on: July 14, 2021, 04:01:45 PM »
I have used aquarium plants in previous terrain builds. I found them hard work to get to look good but I think that was largely down to what I got as I have seen better plants on EBay for just a bit more money.

Brilliant idea on the sand!  Should have thought of that. I have used a similar technique on column tops but never considered it to help blend print lines.

One of the 3d printed Hagglethorn Hollow design ideas I really like is the ruins. Even Mrs. GG who normally does not like Ruins likes the Hagglethoen Hollow ruins on that Kickstarter.

We are wondering if the road design on that Kickstarter might work for us as well.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »
My latest blog update…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/07/20/going-over-old-ground-and-new/

Redoing some things, doing some new things and thinking about Frostgrave…

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
Some random reactons to Your blog:
- Didnt get the transparent Reaper miniatures sticky after varnishing? I made the same drybrushing technic on ghosts, varnished them (Vallejo brush on gloss varnish), and they got sticky... And Im pretty angry about that (no more bones!)! I know that the Reaper plastic is sensible for spary cans, but bursh varnish too???
- The frosty setting in Frostgrave is just an art direction. If You remove all the snow-, frost-, ice- words from the book, You lose nothing essential. We also play Frostgrave in a grass/forest setting, because those terrain pieces are more versatile. And frostgrave has tons of supplements too...
- Advice for Xgrave-engine games? Dont get upset about bad rolls!  :)
- I have to watch Loki...
- I didnt knew about the Van Helsing series. It reminds me a bit of the amazing Vampirehunter D anime (post-apocalyptic world with vampires). I will have a look in it, thanks for the hint!
- Sweet Tooth is magical! My wife (as Yours) doesnt like post-apocalyptic movies, but she watched this series stunned, as the whole family! Its one of the best series since years! Cant wait for the next season...