Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:22:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 104473 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update pg 49)
« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2021, 02:31:18 PM »
And the latest update.. more terrain.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/09/14/terrain-so-much-terrain/

Feedback very welcome!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #721 on: September 14, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »
Brilliant progress as ever. Those Chevaux de Frise look great - the flaw isn’t particularly obvious (certainly not in the pictures). I had a similar problem with 60 odd trees by Woodland Scenics. They come flat and you bend them to shape - then you notice the mould lines you thought you’d done and spend ages going over each one.

The spider victim dioramas and associated webbing is really nice. If you ever want/need to go big on webbing for scenery there is a GreenstuffWorld solution which you spray through an airbrush. It can look very believable. I believe you also need the solvent or single use airbrushes  lol.

The new resin terrain and buildings look amazing. I’m quite envious. Your tables are looking prettier and prettier with every report. Keep up the good work.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #722 on: September 15, 2021, 07:25:06 AM »
Thanks mate!

I would like to do better spider webs but at this stage I do not really want to get into airbrushing… paint, webs or otherwise. In the future however these pieces will be easy to retrofit with better webs.

It is taking me much longer to get things done than I expected, especially when some of the free time is spent gaming rather than crafting.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #723 on: September 15, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »
Good stuff, yet again!

I think the webbing looks good. Can't get too wrapped around what they look like in photos or from 2" away. That is an entirely different level of detail that I believe should be left to the diorama makers of the world. Everything there is more than acceptable for a quality tabletop.

I'm still waiting for you to put a dent in all those resin buildings. Every time I check your blog there seems to be more. Are you sure they aren't breeding? lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #724 on: September 15, 2021, 07:54:40 PM »
I like the webs you’ve done, clear yet will survive gaming. Airbrushing is almost another hobby (I have one but it doesn’t really interest me) and I like using brushes to try and achieve the look I want.

BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #725 on: September 16, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
Thanks for the kind words folks.

It is always hard to decide wha to paint next, so much is clamoring for my attention.

I would love to get into airbrushing, especially for vehicles, terrain and larger creatures but I just do not see that happening any time soon unfortunately. I really like the smooth finish of airbrushing over large surfaces and for blending colors in a more natural manner, as commonly seen on creatures in nature.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #726 on: September 16, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »
Airbrushing is just one of those things that scream "more mess than I care to deal with." I rarely spray anything for the same reason, though really large terrain sets tend to be the exception.

Plus the cost and I am not sure how to cram one more piece of hobby equipment into my house. 3-d printers are taking up a lot of room and they seem far more interesting than airbrushes at the moment. Of course, printing means you have to also paint, so maybe I need to rethink that as a way to get through my growing piles of unpainted bits! lol

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #727 on: September 16, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
Hi mate
If you think an airbrush is more mess than you can handle, then you probably have the wrong airbrush  ;)
I can fully strip down and clean mine in about five minutes, which is not much longer than it takes to clean my brushes and palette after a painting session.  For paint, then Tamiya diluted and ready to go makes things quicker and simpler.  As to the extra space needed, well, you’re on your own there….can’t help you I’m afraid….. lol

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #728 on: September 18, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
Nice -- Show us some of your work "in action" with the missus in a game!  :D
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #729 on: September 18, 2021, 02:42:52 PM »
We are currently breaking one of my cardinal rules, “do not use unpainted minis” in our current Frostgrave games. I am loathe to do full battle reports of games with some of the minis being unpainted. However, I will get caught up enough at some point to start doing proper battle reports with nice photos of our games at some point.

Online BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #730 on: September 18, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
We are currently breaking one of my cardinal rules, “do not use unpainted minis” in our current Frostgrave games. I am loathe to do full battle reports of games with some of the minis being unpainted. However, I will get caught up enough at some point to start doing proper battle reports with nice photos of our games at some point.
I would never play anything with that rule... ☹️

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #731 on: September 21, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
This week’s update… lots to talk about for the curious…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/09/21/translucents-and-more/

Frostgrave continues to enchant Mrs. GG and me. There just is never enough free time!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #732 on: September 21, 2021, 09:00:54 PM »
That is a downright fun table, Rick!

I think that really looks the business.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #733 on: September 21, 2021, 11:00:49 PM »
That is a great looking table.

BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #734 on: September 22, 2021, 04:17:52 AM »
Thanks folks. The elevation added to some tension to the game. Mrs. GG would have beaten me to the treasure at the top of the square tower if her apprentice had not had a critical spell failure while casting leap on one of her soldiers. It was also an interesting tactical choice for me to decide whether my thief should simply climb the nearest side or run around to the front to go through the door and up the stairs.

We really should have had more line of sight blockers and small detail pieces but I was in a rush setting the table up.