Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warcry stuff so far.  (Read 11368 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Warcry stuff so far.
« on: August 04, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »
I got started on the Iron golems first as these seemed like the most interesting models and seemed like they would work for some post-apoc stuff I might have cooking too.

I went with more of a nurgle/ decayed look to them.  I want to also use them as marauder-level troops in my nurgle army and I thought the look would be cool.  If these guys came all this way from the Iron whatever mountains in Chamon they might have had their equipment get a little worn down on the way.

My favourite so far is the one with the chain-whip/flail thing.

There isn't a lot of flexibility with the kit.  You have a choice to make the signifier into a guy with a hammer and without the signum but other than that it is just the three models that I haven't painted yet that have options.

I haven't based the dwarf of the Ogor yet but they are painted.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warcry stuff so far.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 01:59:27 AM »
Nice work.  I'll still be looking to snag some of these minis (not the game though).  The chain whip stuff would have to be replaced though.  Hate things like that which don't make it past two games! :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:48:26 AM »
Wow, I love the skin tones on those. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:15:28 AM »
I am digging the grimy look.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
great rust effect.

curious about this game - they seem to have produced a very good self-contained set, what with the terrain and 'boards' etc, and while generally I can't abide the 'blood-god' chaos stuff (which they seem to be turning up to 11, albeit with a slight degree of irony), the figures have a lot more character than normal.

just that the game couldn't be less narrative-orientated if it tried a guess ...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:08:51 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Lovely paint jobs, especially the armor effects.

great rust effect.

curious about this game - they seem to have produced a very good self-contained set, what with the terrain and 'boards' etc, and while generally I can't abide the 'blood-god' chaos stuff (which they seem to be turning up to 11, albeit with a slight degree of irony), the figures have a lot more character than normal.

just that the game couldn't be less narrative-orientated if it tried a guess ...

I'm thoroughly disappointed in the gameplay I've seen so far, but it's early days yet.  The mechanics seem borderline brainless and the campaign system isn't worthy of the name, and the game as a whole isn't worthy of the figures.  Was hoping for fantasy Necromunda, getting dumbed down Kill Team instead.  Interesting to note that they're all statted out as cheap garbage troops for Age of Sigmar (something we've seen before with Shadespire, etc.) and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw further cross-game utility with Shadespire figs statted for Warcry and vice-versa down the road.  Also appears to me that they're sneaking proxies for hero types in AoS into both games, which would make sense if the rumors about them retiring all the remaining failcast and metal heroes from Warhammer are true.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:43:40 PM »

I'm thoroughly disappointed in the gameplay I've seen so far, but it's early days yet.  The mechanics seem borderline brainless and the campaign system isn't worthy of the name, and the game as a whole isn't worthy of the figures.  Was hoping for fantasy Necromunda, getting dumbed down Kill Team instead.

guess that's what I was concerned about ... was hoping myself that they'd finally woken up to the fact that an updated Mordheim-type game would be well received ... but doesn't look like this is it, then?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 03:37:50 AM »
Oh, not at all.  It's nothing akin to Mordheim (other than terrain and some models you might be able to use).  It's a super thin rule set.  It's more about shifting $50 boxes of models than providing a long and deep gameplay experience.  GW has wised up to that process lately.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
ok, that's a shame, although it saves me from trying to find the dosh to waste on it, so maybe not so bad!

look forward to more painted figs from the OP, tho' - like the 'warbands' in terms of figures.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »
The gameplay seems more gimmicky than good.  The initiative thing with the abilities is sort of neat but in the end it just ends up being a skirmish game.  The way you set up the encounter makes combat happen fast, which was what was intended. 

After playing a game at the Warhammer Cafe a few weeks ago I was hoping that the quick gameplay for the actual combat would be buffed by having a campaign system that was a little more intense so that the games would happen quickly and you could focus on your growth and get a whole campaign with many games in during the course of a day.

The campaign system, just from reading the rules, seems weaker than the combat part of the game itself.

Now I haven't actually played it yet and that could really alter my perception of the campaign.  I've been WAY wrong about rules before just from reading them.  When I first read Dropzone Commander I thought that was no different from any other sci-fi game I'd played but when you actually used the rules in combination with the stats for the troops it became a completely different thing indeed.

So I'll reserve judgement.  So far though it looks like it might be a great game to introduce people to wargaming as it is simple, quick and has great looking figures.

I don't regret dropping the money on it, though.  The base set has enough terrain and cool figs to make it worth the cost just for that. 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 04:37:36 PM »
Yeah, the box itself is a decent value if you have a use for the figs.  The warband minis themselves are fine and really not too expensive (cheaper, for ex, than most Malifaux stuff and similar quality), you get a slew of two different types of Chaos beasties, and the terrain is quite impressive and could easily be modded for other settings.  Even the warband boxes aren't awful - $50 for 8 or 9 figs is okay in today's market - and they could be repurposed for RPGs, other skirmish games, or as neat proxies for stuff in an AoS army.  The Beast crew would make nice unit champs or alternate crewmen for chaos chariots, for ex.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
Got my box today and it's excellent stuff, great value for money. Models, terrain. Probably will get me a second one, to expand the warbands, get more terrain and some conversion material. Really like your take on the Iron Golems, btw.
Leadhead

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
Got my box today and it's excellent stuff, great value for money. Models, terrain. Probably will get me a second one, to expand the warbands, get more terrain and some conversion material. Really like your take on the Iron Golems, btw.

hmmm, now I'm getting tempted again ...  :? ;D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Really nice, can you explain your painting technic ?

I have some devout warriors for chronopia (chaos/demonic warriors), I would be happy to use a similar technic.

thanks

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Sure.  I sprayed them black.  Then did the metal with a dry brush.  I then painted the skin Ionrach skin and then put agrax earthshade over the whole thing.  After that was dry I painted the areas I wanted to be brass black and then went over them with brass.  The skin I highlighted with pallid witch flesh and then edge highlighted it with white. 

The brass had reikland fleshshade put over it and then I made the verdigris using caribbean blue and hunter green from delta ceramcoat, mixed with white and a little iyanden yellow.  I then lightly dry bushed that over the brass.  For the rush I used vallejo rust powder. 

Here are the last of the them and the abhumans based.

I really like how they did the bolas on this guy.  Having him whirling them like that adds so much to the dynamism of the figure.