Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warcry stuff so far.  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warcry stuff so far.
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
Looks good.  I almost got this box solely for the figures and the bonus terrain. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
I've only played about a half dozen games so far, and none of them used all of the terrain. 

That being said there is probably no reason why you couldn't just make up a battlefield yourself before the game starts with your opponent like every other game.  I doubt that we will long use the terrain cards, although we will probably continue to use the deployment cards. 

The terrain doesn't matter so much, at least in terms of giving one side an advantage, when you don't know where you will be starting. 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »
The terrain doesn't matter so much, at least in terms of giving one side an advantage, when you don't know where you will be starting.

Depends on the warband in play.  Elevated terrain (especially custom stuff, which I agree with you, should get used rather than slavishly adhering to the cards) can imbalance things really badly if one side has a lot of flyers (eg Nighthaunts, who are literally all flyers because SCARY GHOSTS, BOO) while the other is slow and/or lacking in ranged options.   Something to keep in mind when setting up a custom table.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 03:21:55 PM »
Played my first 2 Warcry games last night and have to say I like it. It's quick, deadly and unforgiving but at the same time it feels that every decision matters in the game.  It's not got that RPG lite style mass of skills abilities for each model but the forces are different and play so. I like the table size as it means that turn 1 you may get into fighting.

I like the fact that the combination of terrain, goals and tricks mean that games are not just kill all the opponents, which is what most skirmish games seem to build down too - unless you play more of the pulp games.

Yes it's GW so the figs and terrain are lovely (if you like those kind of looks) and everything may not be perfectly balanced for every game but I can live with that.

The force building and campaign is fairly basic but usable and if you are into the narrative elements I can see people (or maybe GW) adding a too that. I can also see it being a simple and effective tournament game.

It's not the perfect game but it's a fun die rolling one IMO and has some replayablity.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 03:23:57 PM by mellis1644 »
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 12:03:18 AM »
I basically agree with everything you said, and would add that I like how simple the campaign system is, especially after playing 3 Season long Necromunda campaigns.  Not that Necromunda is bad, it is actually great fun, but this is a nice simplification and a nice break. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2019, 06:22:50 PM »
Finally got a couple of each type of the wee beasties done. 

The archaeopteryx-looking ones have grown on me.  I'm not sure I like them as individual models yet, they were my absolute least favourite figs in the box, but they are savage enough.  They look, minus all the spikes, like things that could exist and will make a nice addition to my Beastmen army for AoS.  Sort of like they brought their chickens to war.

The Furies I've always liked and it is nice that they have finally made really good looking generic flying chaos daemon things. Especially since they are in plastic.  It is always nice having that one unit that you can add to a force to make it a little bit tougher for a game and having one that I can equally add to my Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Beastmen and Slaanesh armies is like getting 5 for the price of 1.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
Nice work on both Pictors.

The first ones are fugly minis...they seem very thrown together like a random jumble of animal bits...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
They do, until you look at them for a while.  The neck frill thing still seems a little odd, but then I was thinking they probably look like dinosaurs with the feathers and the reptilian parts. 

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
Very nice work (the red on the feather tips are a nice touch). I agree, they've grown on me.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »
Great work on the beasties.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
really like the beast 'angry' chickens myself.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:41:59 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2019, 01:38:37 AM »
Thanks guys.  Here are some more of them and I've finished all of the Furies too.  So two more angry chickens to go and the whole starter box is done.

A flock of the angry chickens goes squawking through the ruins of the Varanspire.  The Eight Points is lousy with these things and the worst part about them isn't the droppings. 

And that isn't the only flock that threatens the denizens of Archaon's Realm.

I'm not sure why I couldn't get the flash to not go on these guys when it took the pictures of the poultry gang just fine.  They would probably look better without the flash.  I'll try to get some pictures of them in natural light at some point. 

We also had a player that can't make our campaign kick off this Saturday so he and I got a few games in ahead of time at my place.

He is going to use Iron Jaws in the campaign.  I decided to use Untamed Beasts.  I had not seen the cards for the Iron Jaws before today.  They are tough as old boots!  I was wondering how I was going to tackle them given how destructive and difficult to hurt they were. 

I need not have worried.  The scenario for the first game was something that played to the Beasts strong suit and really was not suited to the Orcs particular abilities.  The objective was to claim table quarters with each player getting 1 VP for each table quarter where they had more models than their opponents.

The orcs may be tough, but they sure aren't fast and they are pretty few in number too.  With 9 Untamed Beasts to only 6 Orcs the Beasts jumped to a lead on the first turn and it was impossible for the Orcs to catch up.  Combats were few but the Orcs still managed to knock down the Beast's leader.  At the end of the first game it was 6 Glory Points for the Beasts to 2 Glory points for the Iron Jaws.

The second scenario involved one side having a model carrying a treasure and the other side having to get to that model and kill him by the end of the 3rd turn.  You are supposed to roll off to see who gets to be the defender.  We realized that if the Beasts were the defender the Iron Jaws wouldn't stand a chance.  There is no way they could catch a single model of the defenders choice. 

So we decided to forego the roll off and just made the Iron Jaws the defenders.  This gave them an advantage because of how tough some of their models are. To continue in our sporting vein the Iron Jaw player picked his second toughest model to be the treasure bearer.

This was a much closer game.  The horned lion thing really let the Beasts down with his massive charge using his quad ability.  He had +2 to his S and A and still only managed to do 8 points of damage to an Orc with two rounds of attacks.  Which would have been bad enough but then the leader charged into that Orc and managed no damage despite getting an extra attack and only needing 4+ to wound him.

The Beastmistress almost saved the day with her whip but it left the orc with two wounds left, enough to guard the passage and tie up three models. 

The fighting took place all over the board as some members of the Beasts tried to draw off the Orc reinforcements.

Ultimately though it was the toughness of the Iron Jaws that won through.  The loot carrier only suffered 13 of his 25 wounds and was in good health when the 3rd turn ended.

It really was one of the 'Ard Boyz that saved the day though.  If his stand at the opening had not been so stalwart in the face of overwhelming Untamed Beast attacks it would have let the Beasts through almost unopposed against the loot bearer and, tough as he was, he would not have survived attacks from nearly half the enemy models. 

The Orcs ended the game with a victory, garnering themselves 6 Glory points to the Untamed Beast's 2.  So for the campaign it is tied with 8 Glory Points each.

The games were a lot of fun.  The second one was full of tension and tough decisions, while the first one was not as much.  The cards are a really neat mechanism for making each game very different and of the 10 or so games I've played so far no two have been alike.  With four different things going on, and three of those things (terrain, deployment and mission) being huge factors in how the games play, it is great to not know what you are facing every time you bring your troops to the table.

The fourth card type, the twist cards, do add something. And the results can be absolutely game changing to bordering on completely insignificant.  In one game we played before there was much everywhere and all models subtracted one from their movement.  Had we pulled that card the Orcs would have been absolutely stuck in either of the games we played tonight.

This was the first time I've played against models not from the starter set.   It is a very different game playing against Iron Jaws vs. playing against the Iron Golems.  I'm going to try to get and paint the Unmade before the campaign and demo game we are doing on Saturday so that someone can have a go with them if they want. 

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2019, 05:29:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing your games Pictor :D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
great write-up - and the supplied  board and terrain looking v. good in your pics.

still worrying about my taste, as the angry chickens look great to me (I don't mean in the 'to eat' sense) ...

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »
Thank you.  These two games showed one aspect of Warcry that I hadn't seen in previous games.  It was a focus on the mission in both scenarios that really made the winner able to win.  For example, in both games, the side that inflicted the most heavy losses on the enemy lost the game. 

Not that they weren't focused on the objective, more it was that inflicting damage on the enemy warband wasn't the way to win.

So though the Iron Jaws looked very formidable on their cards, paying attention to the mission allowed me to handily win the first game 9 VP to 3 VP. 

I'll be interested to see how some of the other warbands work, especially the ones imported from AoS.