Forum > Pulp

Wacky Max 1968 (Vulture Squadron Hangar)

(1/8) > >>

Cat:
I managed to hold off for a couple of years in not buying into Maximillian 1934.  I was valiantly trying a whisper campaign of suggesting to other gaming buddies that they ought to gear up for it (and not add yet another project to my bench).  Then this spring CMON released their new Wacky Races board game with lovely 1/72-ish miniatures and I could resist no longer.

Conversion work has begun on the vehicles.  Starting with the classic toon vehicles as base models, I'm going for an upgunned Wacky Max 1968 look, not the full-blown post-apoc image of the [outstanding] Wacky Raceland comic. 

Also appearing will be kitbashed Tom Slick crossover vehicles.  And even more kitbashing fun for special event card appearances by Vulture Squadron; when the pigeon of omen appears, mayhem will erupt in the skies and woe betide those caught below when they try to stop that pigeon.  Having a pigeon fly over your car is more dangerous than you might think.

First off the workbench are two versions of the Buzz Wagon for Rufus Roughcut and Sawtooth.  A standard 1/4 ton model, and an extended 3/4 ton version with room for several of Sawtooth's cousins to wield a harpoon gun.

YPU:
I've already seen these on the facebook, lovely stuff! Going to be a wacky race of the best sorts! I think you will find Max'34 does great for the kind of game you want.

Cat:
I'm working on finishing up the Buggy class vehicles first to start running small games as work proceeds on the grand fleet for big convention games.  The theme for TotalCon next February here in Massachusetts is Saturday Morning Cartoons!
=^,^=

Next off the bench are Penelope Pitstop in the Compact Pussycat, and her twin sister Pandora Pitstop in the [unattested] Compact Ground Rattler.  Pandora, who has sibling issues, appears in the new Wacky Races (2017) series playing on Boomerang.  She also gets a bunny companion to help with the rear firing machine gun, one of the more wayward of the Flopsy Bunnies who ran away to join the Wacky Races.

1968 vintage cartoons are quite a sexist lot, so I'm stretching to bring in as many female characters as I can.  Tom Slick is a good help here: Gertie Growler, Marigold, and Sepulchra will all get to join the races this time.

Rounding out the Wacky Races' Buggy class are the Slag Brothers in the Boulder Mobile.  The Boulder Mobile Sport Coupe is the standard buggy size.  They also get an optional extended Sport Phaeton in the Jalopy class.  The Slag Brothers really wanted a flame thrower; but trying one out, they discovered that a front-firing flamethrower on a race car is not at all a good idea.  Once their hair grew back, they started work on banging out the Phaeton.  Shotguns are also useful for banging each other on the head of course.

The Boulder Mobile Sport Phaeton is still in progress.  The remnants of the middle tires will be removed after the two halves are pinned and glued together.  Both of versions will get tire upgrades.

Cat:
Also on the workbench right now are the initial rough cuttings to make Tom Slick's Thunderbolt Grease Slapper and Zilly's flying machine.

When all the cutting down and bashing is done, the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper conversion will be the first of the Buggy class vehicles from Tom Slick.

Many of the planned Tom Slick vehicles will be very cut-down bashings of old Citgo promotional plastic Classic Cars.  Vulture Squadron will be relatively easy work from 1/72 WW1 planes.

Ballardian:
Great idea, can't wait to see how Vulture Squadron will turn out :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version