Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping Paint  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
Since the OP and I are in the US, would someone point out where Biostrip 20 could be found? 

Found a tub on eBay, but it's ~$36 for 1 litre and ~$19 in shipping.

There's this cautionary tale about reacting negatively with some types of resin...

Might be changing my opinion about SImple Green, after finding out the formula was changed a few years ago...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:35:03 PM by Condottiere »

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Spookily enough I stumbled across this comparison video before reading this thread

Should supply some answers for those in the US at any rate
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 03:39:37 AM »
Spookily enough I stumbled across this comparison video before reading this thread

Should supply some answers for those in the US at any rate
The comments confirm the possible issues with resin, so won't risk my Forge World stuff...

Was going to move onto Purple Power, but now intrigued about LA's Totally Awesome. One gallon is cheaper than a gallon of Simple Green and won't damage plastic, though will have to ask about resin.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
Is this the stuff you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Bio+strip+20&ref=nb_sb_noss

Thanks

Offline The Major

• Bookworm
    • The Major Press
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
I tried many of your suggestions.  I found sitting overnight in Easy Off oven cleaner worked very well--no damage to the plastic whatsoever.  My next experiment will be with 91% alcohol which I know many scale modelers use to strip paint from HIPS plastics routinely.  Sadly, I was not able to obtain any biostrip 20 here in the USA.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
OK, I am changing my vote.

I have used Dettol for some time to strip predominantly metal figures.

HOWEVER I have had 2 largish resin models sat in Dettol for a few days and done my usual scrubbing them with a toothbrush and then resoaking. And I am really unimpressed.

The models are ebay purchases so I have no idea what they were painted in... acylics, enamels etc. They were very shiny but no idea if that was a gloss enamel or an added varnish.

The paint has stripped - kind of. But EVERY panel edge or fine detail area is still paint filled. I have spent 2 hours with a fine point scriber scraping out every edge I can and i have improved the situation but not by much.

so - any one got any recommendations? I need something resin friendly, that will chemically release the residual paint to a point where a simple toothbrush scrub will release it. Spending hours on each model to mechanically scrape paint out of recesses is not an option.

Obviosuly it also needs to be something that isn't going to have a problem with the fact that the residual paint is probably already softened by and impregnated with Dettol.

Help!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 01:17:25 AM »
The paint has stripped - kind of. But EVERY panel edge or fine detail area is still paint filled. I have spent 2 hours with a fine point scriber scraping out every edge I can and i have improved the situation but not by much.

so - any one got any recommendations? I need something resin friendly, that will chemically release the residual paint to a point where a simple toothbrush scrub will release it. Spending hours on each model to mechanically scrape paint out of recesses is not an option.

Put it back in the same stuff for a while and see what happens. I bet the varnish was protecting the paint from the paint stripper. Now that you’ve broken through that layer, the stuff can get to the paint underneath.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
Put it back in the same stuff for a while and see what happens. I bet the varnish was protecting the paint from the paint stripper. Now that you’ve broken through that layer, the stuff can get to the paint underneath.

Thanks, but that's not it. The models have been in the dettol three times now and scrubbed in between. All of the flat areas have lifted fine. It's almost as tjough the corners are giving enough mechanical key for the paint to grip in the panel lines and edges. Scrubbing over them with a toothbrush has no effect, i am having to 'dig' it out with a scriber...  and there are a LOT of details, vents, panel lines, wheel arches etc etc...

I'm looking for something that will dissolve the paint away chemically - rather than the dettol which seems to break the bond between paint and model.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:04:24 AM by Brandlin »