Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick & dirty Landesknechts with (gulps..) Contrast Paints!  (Read 2898 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Quick & dirty Landesknechts with (gulps..) Contrast Paints!
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
You know those painting projects that seem never to die? They just drag on and on, staring at you and each time you start trying to move them along the sheer quantity of painting ends up crushing your will to continue?

Well, for me that was a big winged-Keil of Landsnechts in 28mm, bought for FoGR in a series of bring and buy used-figure bags – and then supplemented by a pack of Old Glory arquebusiers. The large and motley collection of different manufacturers had been based, undercoated and half-done … but, whilst at an event in Bristol I got chatting to the man from BIG about the hype around the new Games Workshop contrast paints.. and suddenly realised that the Landesknecht project might be a good way to test these supposedly magic high speed paints, on a colourful army that otherwise simply may never end up being finished.

so… here they are… 4 pots of paint (and a jar of ink for comparison) later !

In enabling me to get this significant lump of figures (120-odd!) done quickly the GW contrast paints certainly lived up to their reputation for speed-painting. Perhaps they aren't as good as using real paints and a lot of time, but to 'splash and dash' to get stuff on table in an acceptable manner they did the job

The real benefit was the speed of application - far quicker than normal paint. I usually use an Army Painter varnish finish but these guys didn't really need it - indeed, with the pre-shaded way the Contrast paints work adding an Army Painter-style top layer may well have left they just a bit too dirty looking

Will they win any awards? No. Could I have painted them better given more time? Yes. Would I have painted them at all given how long it was taking to get them finished? Probably not. And, at the end of the day, that's the key advantage I see in these paints.

There are stacks more photos and details of the paints and stuff on by website here:  link

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Quick & dirty Landesknechts with (gulps..) Contrast Paints!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
Congratulation with completing your landsknecht project. You are absolutely right. As a project they just drag on.

I think they look great and will definitely try it out. Any chance you could give some more detail about color choice and work process?

Cheers
Erik

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
Cheers!

The link at the end of the previous post goes to my site where the exact paints and other stuff is covered in more detail, but it was basically a 1/3 "properly" painted, white car spray undercoated set of figures onto which I slopped the contents of 4 pots of red, green, blue (nominally a green, but more turquoise in reality) and yellow GW contrast paints onto the 'unpainted' bits of the figures, as well as a bit of coverage for other areas in Windsor & Newton violet ink. 

The choice of paints was driven entirely by those the shop at Bristol Independent Gaming had left in stock when I was there - so sadly almost no science to it at all !

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »
Awesome - well done.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
I'd say that's pretty much a perfect use for these paints. Very nice!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
great use of the paints - results are excellent. More than good enough to my eye.

have the brightness that those paints impart too - figures will pop (so to speak) on the T/top I think -  more so than many a conventionally painted figure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:46:28 AM by Bloggard »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »
I think that worked quite well, actually.  Well done!

-Michael

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
They’ve come out really well! Nice and popping.

You reckon the contrast paints could be good as a first base, then layering up detail using the old fashioned paints from there, or is that not really suitable for them?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »
They’ve come out really well! Nice and popping.

You reckon the contrast paints could be good as a first base, then layering up detail using the old fashioned paints from there, or is that not really suitable for them?

I use that technique with my WSS Spaniards and it works pretty well. Dunno how it would work with Landsknechtes, but I don't see why not it shouldn't work too with them.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
I use that technique with my WSS Spaniards and it works pretty well. Dunno how it would work with Landsknechtes, but I don't see why not it shouldn't work too with them.

Cheers! I admit I’m a novice with info about contrast paints, but maybe worth a test or two

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
Cheers! I admit I’m a novice with info about contrast paints, but maybe worth a test or two

Word of advice: use the Contrast medium, to better control the flow and intensity.

I've found useful browns, skintones, reds and yellows. Blues and greens not so much.

I couldn't find any image of my WSS, but here it is one of my Crimean Russians, using contrast paints, inks and a final light with normal (Vallejo) paints. Basecoated in white, by the way. From start to finish, it took half an hour, but now I've cut down the time to 15-20 minutes.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:10:37 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline jtipp68

• Student
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
I have a big pile of Foundry Landsknechts that I'm working through with contrast paints.  I did highlight these with regular paints.  I love the contrast paints.  They go on very quickly and easily and I found that since I'm working straight out of the bottle there's far less waste than my normal paints. 

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
Even as a WIP they look very good. The yellows contrasting nicely with the rest of the miniatures.