Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The best rules for the Anglo Zulu war?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The best rules for the Anglo Zulu war?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »
http://www.sergeants3.com

Sergeants three sell them.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »
Tim i don't want, as you are a potential beginner with the rules, to overwelm you with feedback..but there is also another US firm..connected with the TSATF..that sell, among other interesting things, some sets of event cards..you can of course play without those purposly designed event/action cards to be used in conjunction  with TSATF but they add a lot of fun......the specific  card desk for Zulu Wars is very nice..it adds some spice to the game..and a sort of hollywood type adventure flavour...which is one of the characteristic of the game and one of the main reasons for his success since the Seventies...that's the site...
http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/345-Card%20Decks.html

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »
Despite being virtually unknown in the UK, TSATF have probably done more to promote colonial gaming than any other ruleset in the last 30 years. Supply from the US publisher is usually fast and reliable, though there may be some short-term disruption following the sad death of the author, Larry Brom.

BUT they are very much a product of their time and many of the mechanisms used are now very dated - I played them a couple of times and felt they lacked true period feel and the interminable matched melee dice rolls put me off after the first few games, as I recall, and there are now better alternatives available IMHO.

Can heartily recommend Patrick and his service at TVAG - well worth a look if you decide to go down the TSATF route.

With the number of figures you want to start with, take a look at 'Death in the Dark Continent' by Chris Peers for starters, which is a great game that has suitable force lists for the AZW. When it's released in Autumn 2016, Osprey's "The Men who would be Kings" would be a great choice (playtest force lists require around 90-100 Zulus and 36-48 British/Imperials).

I currently use an adaptation of the TFL "Sharp Practice" rules, mainly using the amendments to be found on the 'Wyvern Wargamers' website, though I'm hoping a proper colonial supplement will be released once the second edition SP rules are released in Spring 2016.

Where in the UK are you based? Always looking for more colonial buffs in the wilds of South Yorkshire!

Hope this helps

Simon

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 10:27:54 PM »
Ha!
Oldham...

Maybe I'll only need to collect one single side to this conflict?
The Osprey rules sound promising?
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Wrong side of the border but we'll let you off :-)

Call yourself a proper wargamer? Of course you NEED both sides, and while you're at it, you should get the unpainted lead needed for the Sudan, the Boer Wars, North West Frontier AND probably German South West Africa, just for good measure.

I go to the Barnsley club (meets on a Saturday afternoon) where there's several of us getting back into colonial gaming. I'm looking forward to the release of the Osprey rules (there's a thread here about a demo game at the recent Hereward show) which seem to give a fun and fast-moving game with quite a lot of period-feel, but with plenty of scope for tweaking with house-rules for specific campaigns, but I've only participated in a couple of play-test games so far. It's similar to their Lion Rampant medieval rules, if that gives you any clues.

We're running a Sudan game this Saturday, seeing how the rules look and play with 15mm figures, substituting 1 4-man base per single 28mm figure: so a company will have 32-48 figures and a Mahdist 'rub will be 48-64 figures strong: should look suitably dramatic!

Till they are released I'd get painting, individually base the figures for maximum flexibility and use Warbases movement trays as sabot bases to try out 'DITDC' in the meantime.

I

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
I am also aiming for TMWWBK to be released, but in the meantime I have got In Her Majesty's Name, and the supplement Heroes, Villains and Fiends  which conntains rules for Brits, Boers and Zulus, so I can get some gaming going after painting just a couple of handfuls of minis.

I may also get Triumph and Tragedy and/or In the Heart of Africa (Death in the Dark Continent seems under update) for when my forces outgrow IHMN.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Woahorse

• Lurker
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »
The best Zulu gaming system I've played is Zulu Skirmish 2e.  I have tried the Men Who Would Be Kings, Black Powder, and the Sword and the Flame.  All had some good points, but none appealed to me 100%.  In Zulu Skirmish 2e (second edition)  the number of figures in a unit is perfect and the rule set has everything you need to play a small or grand scale game.  The addition of cards for Commanders & Units as well as Command Action events is fantastic!  I strongly recommend Zulu Skirmish 2e!

Author's description:
Zulu, Skirmish 2e is our totally updated second edition rule set for miniature gaming which is all about you as a Zulu impi commander or British battalion commander directing your table top forces in small or grand scale unit actions. Designed for 28mm figures or smaller, the Zulu play area consists of on-board and off-board play. On-board play is for the majority of game play, while we have ensured there is just enough off-board play to capture the unique historical flavor of the Zulu wars.

Army choices include British, Zulu and Boers!  If you are interested in Zulu Skirmish 2e, ask for the Lead Adventure Forum, "LAF" discount when you order on https://texasgames.com/

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 04:24:02 AM »
Wot is a card desko_o
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 05:47:28 AM »
The Sword and The Flame

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 07:22:08 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Woahorse, but please note that this topic is from 2015. I really hope that Tim isn't still looking for a rules set after all these years.

Still, if he somehow is, those do look interesting.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2022, 09:48:09 PM »