Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sikh Wars- Battle of Bhudowal re-fight  (Read 1386 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Sikh Wars- Battle of Bhudowal re-fight
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
The Battle of Bhudowal took place in the First Anglo-Sikh War and involved a British column marching across the front of Sikh entrenchments.  There was some fighting and the British lost their baggage train but mostly the soldiers on both sides didn't engage.  At two points it looked as though a general engagement would take place but both Generals held back. 

I thought it would be be fun to play the game as happened at Bhudowal, then with the British going on the offensive and finally with the Sikhs making a serious attempt to destroy the British column.

The first game is here and it proved to be an interesting one.  The rules used were Piquet Field of Battle.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sikh Wars- Battle of Bhudowal re-fight
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Nice I always thought this would be an interesting battle.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
Thanks Roger.  I have now played it twice and it becomes increasingly clear that Sir Harry Smith was right to keep marching  In the second game Sir Harry attacked and accomplished very little.  I'll post the AAR here shortly.

I think I'll do Mudki next.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 12:38:46 AM »
I'm guessing the first go round was a solo affair from the way the battle report reads.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  (as if you wouldn't  ;))

I acquired a recent Osprey on the conflict but more for scenario fodder than a desire to game the period.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »
It was indeed, I wanted to see how the rules Field of Battle would handle the Anglo Sikh War and I wanted to take notes. 

Also, as the intention was to do only what the Generals did on the day it saved me from saying to my opponent No, you cannot do that.  Ranjodh Singh didn't do that, the sort of thing which would have spoiled the fun.

I originally got into the Sikh Wars simply because I really liked the Steve Shaw 15mm figures from Feudal Castings.  I really didn't know much about it and  now it's a major gaming interest.  That's mostly down to the recent scholarship of Amarpal Singh Sidhu whose two books on the first and second wars really opened up the period to me.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
Great arent they, I read the first one a year ago and finished the second one just a few weeks ago. It really opened my eyes as most of the literature I had read previousley dealt solely with the British perspective and the major engagements as they perceived them. Almost completely ignoring the thousands of irregular Inidan troops fighting for the British particularly in the second war, with the first two battles having no British troops a all.

Very inspirational stuff.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
They really are and because of them we have much more interesting engagements to try out on the table top.  Essential reading for anyone doing the period in my opinion.