Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17580 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project (pg3 Citi Def)
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2019, 06:43:54 AM »
Carlos Esquerra Block
Boris Johnson Block
Mylie Cyrus Block
Timmy Mallet Block

Nice work on the Citi-Def mate! 8)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
The colour scheme got me thinking%

Louis Walsh Block
Michael Flatley Block
Granny Smith Block

The concept for this is very clever.

lol

Carlos Esquerra Block
Boris Johnson Block
Mylie Cyrus Block
Timmy Mallet Block

Nice work on the Citi-Def mate! 8)

All good suggestions...presumably Miley Cyrus Block would have a bit wrecking ball...?

Looking at that photo of the Citi-def it looks like I used a roller rather than a brush....think I need smaller brushes, or maybe just smaller photos  ;D

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »
The citi-def uniforms are pretty similar to the ones shown when Carol Monroe and Vince St Clair had a block war. Then again I'm surprised you're not just calling it Akula towers.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »
Damn, that idea with the tiny cars and buildings is quite genious!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project (pg4 Justice Dept. H-Wagon)
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
I’ve been looking for a suitable model for an H-Wagon, the sort capable of carrying an expedition of Judges, complete with Lawmasters to say the Cursed Earth, rather than the much smaller variety used for crowd control, ie this sort of thing....

....anyway, after a bit of a search I came up with the following....

Clearly based upon a Thunderbird 2 model....not the design from the original TV series....did it change for a reboot?....anyway it was a remote controlled model, so I had to remove the large wheels, motor etc it came with, and then plug the gaps.

As you can see I also removed the top fin, and extended the side fins to give it more of the look of the H-wagon (although I confess I did like the top fin, and I would have kept it if I was looking for a drop ship). Final job was adding an eagle shield made out of green stuff.

:)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg4 Justice Dept. H-Wagon)
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
That works really well.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »
Well spotted, it's a very good fit.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
Seem like a good fit :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Nice!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
That is a cracking find with tidy conversion work and  finished off with a perfectly fitting paint job.
Top job!
 8) 8)

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »
That's a fantastic repurposing. I wouldn't have thought you could alter the iconic look so easily with a few alterations and different paint scheme. Great work!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 08:58:31 AM »
Thanks everyone, glad you like the H-wagon.

:D

I’ve been thinking for the last fortnight about the actual blocks...I didn’t want to just build something with lots of corners, and at the same time I want them to have gameable interiors.

As Andym has cornered the second-hand hoover market  ;) I started to look for alternatives, preferably either cylindrical or cone shaped....I even looked at slicing up some traffic cones, but the process of making the material more paint friendly put me off. 

Next on my list was looking at waste bins....right shape, but would still take quite a bit of work to get how I wanted. It was when I started looking at plate separators (the sort of thing you get if you ever order room service in a hotel to keep your food warm) that I discovered the following by accident.

Acrylic Cupcake stands!

They do come in all shapes and sizes, but I managed to find some that look perfect for what I have in mind.

They come in various levels of tiers - 7 tiers is the tallest I’ve seen so far, and the diameter of the widest circles fits in with my base boards.

These particular cake stands are ideal for what I have in mind, because the level supports allow easy access to the interior.

My plan is to add some board to the bases to add some texture, and I will strengthen the upright supports at the same time. They should be fine weight-wise - I only intend on having vehicles at the plaza level (ie the top of my baseboards), so it will only be figures in the building interior.

The interiors will be easily accessible as the 10cm separation between levels is actually what I had in mind. The interiors will resemble a floor plan but with the walls slightly raised up, so it’s immediately obvious what they are.

The stands can theoretically be broken down for transport/storage, but I’m going to build them as a unit to give greater rigidity, and attach some strips along the exterior, running from the base right to the top, which will allow me to put the Block names on the exterior.

Anyway...that is enough for now - I ordered them at the weekend, so hopefully will turn up v.shortly, and then the fun begins.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg4 H-Wagon & Mega Block idea)
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
That is a cracking idea.
 8)

Securely fixing the various levels together would be the key thing for me as the main thing that would worry me would be clumsy oafs (like me!) knocking the buggers during a game and causing a domino rally effect.
I am sure that you have thought of that, though.....
 ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
That is a cracking idea.
 8)

Securely fixing the various levels together would be the key thing for me as the main thing that would worry me would be clumsy oafs (like me!) knocking the buggers during a game and causing a domino rally effect.
I am sure that you have thought of that, though.....
 ;)

Thanks mate....and even better they are very good value as well....even the tallest ones are only £10-15 post free...compare that to a MDF kit on a similar scale.

By the looks of it, they are made with slots to attach the supports to the base (to avoid clumsy oafs like you wiping out the cupcakes at a wedding), but adding flooring, and then strengthening the support uprights should prevent any domino effect.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:31:48 AM by AKULA »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Cracking update mate! :-* Thunder-Judge 2 looks great and that’s an inspired idea for the blocks. I had toyed with the idea of using plastic bins for Stars Wars Legion Bespin table.