Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:20:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17573 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg7 start of a highway)
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »
Great stuff; the roads will work, but the exits would be interestingly suicidal affairs. Which would fit the setting perfectly I suppose :D

The tiny roads down below really come into their own with the road sections and other blocks near to them. The few shots you have shown of them next to each other are pretty awesome already! 8)

As for guardrails; I just had a great idea for them yesterday. I'm in the process of building a 4x6 Gaslands table, and I want a stretch of highway on it too. Broken down of course; it will have  the beginning of an overpass, which is partly collapsed, as a part of the track, and I want guardrails for at least part of the road/ramp.

The scale is roughly 1/64, so I was checking out HO scale guardrails. A bit small, but I figured it could work. But the commercially available stuff is both ridiculously expensive and really noticeably too small.

So I stumbled across a model railroad site where guys were using strips of corrugated cardboard cut lengthwise as guardrails. And it looked pretty convincing. Scouring around for corrugated material with a suitable size/spacing, I ended up buying a sheet of corrugated aluminum, where the width of a single curve is 3mm. And that works out only a little exaggerated in my desired 'scale'.

I went for aluminum as it is both light, sturdy and easy to work with. As the guardrails will be a fixed feature, and that part of the table will be relatively flat, I didn't want to risk using card or plasticard, as those might prove too vulnerable to survive handling and storage.

Brass was also available, but might be too hard to comfortably work with (I would have to cut each individual rail section with a small saw, instead of scoring and breaking the stuff). Advantage would have been that I would have been able to weld the material to the rail's many posts, if were to make those brass as well. As it is, I'm probably going for either brass tubing or plastic H-beams, with the rails 'riveted' to the posts with small nails, which will also be a realistic finish!

And yes; I could have gone for removable terrain (and I still might), but at least they will be able to survive the rigors of (road) combat lol

The sheet was ordered yesterday in the UK, so it will take its time to arrive, but I will show some results once I get to work with it.

In the mean time; please keep chugging away on this magnificent board; it's very inspirational! :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
Oh bollocks.
I thought I'd cured myself of the urge to do something Dredd related(when I knocked up a Dredd bike for AndyM ((and the tv series died a death) Now your projects just ruining all pretenses . I've just found myself musing over if its possible to build vehicles and law master's out of cereal card. ;D

lol

Go on start a thread and do it!

The tiny roads down below really come into their own with the road sections and other blocks near to them. The few shots you have shown of them next to each other are pretty awesome already! 8)

Thanks, I’ll persist with them...hopefully the end result will look ok.

Will be interesting to see what your guardrails look like, have a few thoughts of my own, but not decided yet.
 :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »
Oh man - this thread has rocketed ahead. Keep up the good work and I agree with Daeothar on the tiny roads.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »
As always, I have my beady eyes on your masterful projects!  lol

Love how quickly you realise them. Always a fun ride!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 Pat Wagon)
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
Probably the least exciting update so far....

Today I stuck some bits of MDF together  ;D

Well done, must weight a ton. Foamed PVC might have made more sense, it's what all us cool kids are using now. :p

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 Pat Wagon)
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 06:14:50 PM »
Oh man - this thread has rocketed ahead. Keep up the good work and I agree with Daeothar on the tiny roads.

Thanks mate ...I suspect more little roads and tiny cars in my future

As always, I have my beady eyes on your masterful projects!  lol

Love how quickly you realise them. Always a fun ride!

Cheers...it’s funny, I thought I was taking ages with this build  lol

Well done, must weight a ton. Foamed PVC might have made more sense, it's what all us cool kids are using now. :p

Not really...the road sections are only 1’ x 2’ so pretty light and I like the chunkiness of the 12mm mdf for the road. Gives them a bit of robustness, and will make sense when I get around to adding some side barriers (eventually).

Using plenty of foamed PVC on the tower blocks where I don’t need the chunkiness.

Hope to post another update at the weekend - what spare time I’ve had this week has been in rebasing existing minis to fit with the project, to give me a large supporting cast as a starting point.

:)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg8 more progress on the bases)
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
Bit more progress this weekend, last week was a right off due to work encroaching on my spare time...

After a couple of different trial-pieces, I’ve opted for a curved off ramp built into the plaza boards. It is still just representative.... god knows how long it would have to be for the speed vehicles go at in MC-1, but it will look a little less harsh on the eye that the original off ramp. Once it’s painted, i’ll add some road studs to the main highway sections, to hopefully increase the visuals.

The long bits of mdf are just to show the positioning for pedways connecting the upper levels of the blocks.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:45:27 PM by AKULA »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg8 more progress on the bases
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »
Lovin' it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »
Looking great mate. That'll be fun to play on. 8) 8)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2019, 05:39:07 PM »
Really starting to see where you are going with this, looks great :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
It's really taking shape.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
Yup, incredibly slow, get a move on!  lol

Looking great so far Akula.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
These are worth a butcher's akky https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978361943/future-vehicles?ref=profile_created in in for strontium dog

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »
That is really taking shape into something awesome!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2019, 07:50:04 PM »
Looks awful. Really disappointing. I'll send a skip round for you to put it in.

Those cake stands look good, how are you going to 'clad' them?