Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:21:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire project  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
A Song of Ice and Fire project
« on: August 12, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »
So far the Mountain's Men are mostly done.  I still have to do the standard and their movement tray.

They are pretty nice figures, it seems like there is a lot of stuff in the box to help you play the game, pretty much everything you need for the unit. 

I'm going to try to finish the standard and the Mountain himself today.  He is a monstrous model, on horseback he is about as big as the giants, which doesn't seem quite right.

These guys were nice to paint.  I tried to do them in muted tones as they were underlings and not noble warriors.  The Mountain himself will be in brighter yellows and blues and I'll probably give his armour more of a shine. 

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire project
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »
Good start to the project! I like your basing too!

Absolutely not your fault but it's kind of disappointing how few poses you get with the Mountain's Men, given how irregular ol' Greg Cleg's lads are supposed to be! The muted tones work well for that effect though! Could even sub them in for Brave Companions in a pinch! Looking forward to seeing the Mountain!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
v.effective pallet choice - as HappyChappy said, the limited number of poses isn’t a strong point of some of the box sets, but the colours work well

:)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »
Great job with the colors! Love their ruggedness.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:59:04 PM »
Thanks guys!  I thought they would work well with the muted colours.  I have the King's Guard to paint too and they will definitely be done with much brighter colours. 

Here is the Mountain his own self.

I'm not a huge fan of painting rider and horse together and tend not to buy cavalry with riders cast on their mounts.  This guy came that way so not much I could do about it.  I might muddy up the edges of the cloth but haven't done it yet. 

I also finished the standard bearer for his men and did their movement tray as well.  I think the standard nicely ties the unit to their boss without unduly giving too much colour to the unit.

It would have been nice to have a few more poses in the unit.  Even 4 in a 12 man unit would allow you to put a different pose in every row.  The standard guy is based on a pose where they already have 4 of them in the set which means there is one pose with only 3 copies in the set.  Had they given him the standard it would have increased the diversity a little more too.

Overall they are very nice figures though and were fun to paint. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 02:41:44 AM »
They look pretty cool. How are they scale wise? 28mm,  heroic 28mm or 32mm?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:23:47 PM »
They are very heroic 28 mm, probably heroic 32 mm.  They are almost as tall as a primaris space marine. 

The tops of the helmets on the White Cloaks comes to about the top of the head on a primaris space marine.  They won't mix in well with Old Glory stuff, unless you use the Old Glory stuff to represent an army of Dwarfs raised by Tyrion. 

Here are some more.  Speaking of height here are some giants.  I like the second one much better than the first:

And as I was mentioning white cloaks, here are the actual white cloaks.  Jeoffrey comes with the set but he isn't done yet.  Hopefully he will be finished today along with their movement tray and the whole unit will be finished. 

I don't know that anything really stands out about these guys but they are sculpted well and are exactly what you want them to be.  For people that want well sculpted plastic figures that aren't over the top like GW's can be, these are a pretty good fantasy range. 

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
Oh neat! It's nice that they gave each of the 7 Kingsguard their own sculpt, I can place Jaime Lannister and Barristan Selmy there, but not so sure on the others (I mean, not that Meryn Trant or Mandon Moore are the most visually distinct people in-universe!)

Also I really like how clear the yellow on The Mountain has turned out, it's really difficult to get a clear even yellow I find!

Keep up the good work! 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Thank you!

Yeah they give you Ser Arys Oakheart, Ser Boros Blount and Ser Preston Greenfield in addition to those you mentioned.

I was wondering if I should muddy up the yellow on the Mountain's barding at all, like around the bottom.  I guess I'll think on it.  If I do I'll probably muddy the cloaks on the King's Guard too.

Speaking of, the unit is all finished with the Brat included this time.

Here they are with Jaime and Selmy in front.

Here is a close up of the King.

And from the side:

I'm not sure where you are supposed to position the flags in relation to the guys.  I've put them around the edges to make the guys form  around Joffrey as much as possible.  I suppose they could go in the back too just to fill in the holes in the movement tray.  Not sure how it works in-game. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
This is the last of the stuff I have for now.  It is the second box of Stark Heroes.

It seems like this would have been better to leave out Arya and Syrio and have included Hodor and Bran.  I guess they are in Stark Heroes box 1.

The figures are very well sculpted.  They are a pretty decent price for 7 individual character models too.

I didn't get a good pictures of Ryckon in there but he looks a bit like a hobbit, if that is any help. 

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
Thanks for posting! Agreed that Syrio seems a bit of an odd choice to include (but the fencing pair pose with Arya is pretty adorable!)

Is the chap with the bow Jojen Reed? I can tell Meera by the frog-spear!

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
Yes it is.  I've only read the first book and watched the show, but it seems like it would make sense to put the starks left in Winterfell who fled North together.  So put Hodor and Bran in instead of Arya and Syrio.  And then put a Starks in King's Landing set in where you have Eddard, Arya, Syrio, Sansa, the guy that was Eddard's right hand and maybe two other Northmen who were there.

Then a third Stark set that had the characters that were on campaign with Rob, like his mom, him, that girl he married, even Theon and some others. 

But then I don't know how the game works.  It seems, from what little I've read, that Hodor and Bran grant some advantage to troops, which seems odd. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »
It has been a while but I got to a few more GoT figures.  This time a box of Tully knights and the Targeryans. 

The Tully knight figures are nice.  They make pretty generic looking fantasy heavy cavalry guys.

I like the figs.  There isn't anything that stands out about them but after doing so much GW stuff lately it is pretty nice to have some guys that are just knights.

Kal Drogo is a different story.  Festooned with heads, the Kal would fit right in with GW's chaos range.  I like the figure, it is dynamic, well sculpted and captures the spirit of the character, at least as far as I understand it.

Then there is poor Ser Jor and the object of his affection and frustration, Danerys. 

Plus a merchant Prince from one of the cities. 

Again all well sculpted figures that could well be used in any fantasy game that you wanted to play.  Ser Jorah is particularly well done, showing him riding in minimal armour.

All around good show.  I can only think this game would have been huge had it come out a couple of years before it did. 

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »
Good work on what are certainly some of the more “restrained” sculpts (ie the least GW-like) in the CMON game.

:)

Like you said, the Tully's are almost “just” knights albeit with fish shields and helms, but the Bolton cavalry for example appear to have gone full GW-chaos knight... I much prefer the former to the latter.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:12:10 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 10:04:24 PM »
Nice work, and welcome back!

And wow, that Illyrio figure is *huge*!