Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686440
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming/Modelling Gift Vouchers  (Read 1432 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Wargaming/Modelling Gift Vouchers
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
I appreciate many wargaming companies offer gift vouchers for their products. I just wondered if there were vouchers that were more transferable between companies?

The main reason I ask is I have a birthday coming and I am unsure what I want and like many butterfly wargamers I am prone to change my mind  :).

It would be great to be able to get vouchers I could use across the many companies and suppliers across the hobby such as NorthStar, Perry Miniatures, Gripping Beast, Foundry, Warlord etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:22:42 AM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Wargaming/Modelling Gift Vouchers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
Okay,

let's say we are manufacturers. Customer X buys a 50£ with me.  I have my own management expenses and I have to pay taxes on my income. Then Customer X wants to spend the 50 quids with your company.  So I have to give you the money from my own account, after I have already absorbed it.  Then you will have to pay all taxes, absorb your own expenses and so on... I also have the impression that if it is done routinely it will involve plenty of absurd paperwork with HMCRS (or it is HMRCS?).

great for the customers, not so great for the companies involved. And I am quite sure people will be happy to act as money lender for other companies...

On the other hand some companies like North Star already carry a wide selection of products...

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:15:32 PM »
I appreciate there would be some administrative issues but it seems to work across other industries. Maybe it is not so viable for smaller companies.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
depends also on the relations between industries. I got amazon UK vouchers from Vodafone UK. I assume Vodafone had made a contract with Amazon. And in some case the voucher are managed by 3rd parties.  Usually they are not multi-buys, but specific deals. And what happens if you want spend 25£ with Warlord, 10 with perry, and 15 with Gripping Beast?

Be more focused who knows, maybe it is a subliminal suggestion...  lol  <looks at the spread of messy projects never completed...>

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:45:13 PM »
Gift vouchers do seem to work in a number of industries - I assume that enough of them aren’t spent, or the voucher company can earn enough interest on the capital that they make some money.

Personally I would much rather have cash (or a cheque). Gift vouchers always seem a pain in trying to match the shops that accept them with things that you want.

With shop specific ones, I always want to get them spent asap as they are worthless if the shop goes into administration.

This thread has reminded me that I got cheques from my family for my birthday last month - and I haven’t converted them into gamin goodies yet! Time to go shopping ;-) 

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »

Be more focused who knows, maybe it is a subliminal suggestion...  lol  <looks at the spread of messy projects never completed...>

There are somethings I actually want but my wife refuses to buy me wargaming toys. She has bought me paints and a paint station in the past but that is as far as she has gone. I thought maybe nondescript vouchers might be okay if there were such things. Vouchers from someone like Northstar is a good idea but they don't do them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:19:13 AM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
Have you tried cash?  It has the advantage of being able to be used absolutely everywhere (unless your cash is Zimbabwe Dollars, Argentine Pesos or North Korean Won) and doesn't have an expiry date.

I've never seen the point of gift vouchers...
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »
Cash is a bit impersonal and if you don't know what you want for while, it can easily get spent on day to day stuff. Perhaps if I put it in a tin only use at shows etc. that could work.

Perhaps I will try refusing to come up with an other non-hobby ideas, folding my arms and sticking my bottom lip out  lol

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Uhm...

have you ever thought maybe your wife is telling you something... like finish a project before starting a new one... or worse...  lol

Okay I can sympatize, my family stopped to spend time to find gifts for me more or less a decade ago...

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
I use a Travel Card, with link to MasterCard, to put a percentage of my wages on each month. This is then my cash for shows, online purchases, etc.

There are pre-paid credit and debit cards available from most banks which can offer the same facilities, and, if people have the relevant log in information, they can put funds on the card for you.
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »
Pre-paid credit/debit cards are the way to go and IIRC, could be personalized, IIRC. They're like gift cards, but unlike gift cards, one's not limited to a specific store, are re-loadbale and accepted widely, especially if a Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Whenever purchasing a gift voucher/card, read the fine print: some depreciate in value if not used in a certain period. 

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies chaps.I will give it some thought.