Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: YPU's 6mm gundam madness  (Read 10135 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
YPU's 6mm gundam madness
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
Macross martin is entirely to blame for this. After trying to hold of for a couple of months I am now in possession of a dozen or so gashapon 1/400 gundam models. These will see use in MSG skirmish and a variety of 6mm wargames in the future I'm sure. Maybe even battletech alpha strike if I can get away with it. AT 1/400 they are a bit on the small side for 6mm which is generally 1/300 but I think they are just right, any larger would start to look silly I think.

In anticipation of the models I ordered from japan I started 3d printing some gundam universe vehicles,

From left to right bloodhound hover truck by martin, Wappa VTOL bike by me, Fanfan VTOL hovercraft by me, generic 6mm vehicle by Mbergman and type 61 tank by Martin.

The fanfan was something I had in the works for a while intended for 1/144 scale but works just fine in 1/300.

The wappa was a moment of inspiration, probably the first 6mm scaled human figure I've done in CAD and actually feel happy about.

But on to the main event, the mobile suits. First of the federation side:

LtR Mass production guncannon, gundam Alex, GM cold district type, GM space command and another cold district.

And on the Zeon side:

Back row: hygogg, gelgoog mariner, gouf flight type, zaku II.
Front row: zaku I, char's gelgoog, Gouf custom, zaku II.

Most of these will see some conversion done to them, and definitely get paint. The char's gelgoog will become just a regular gelgoog and all beam sabres will be replaced by something a bit less bendy. The zaku I is already in progress to be converted into a zaku sniper, quite fun converting robots at this scale I must say!

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: YPU's 6mm gundam madness
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:14:14 PM »
Awesome!  I have been playing with some rules to try and use models like these, so I am excited to see some minis!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
If you start looking into rules for these the "Mekton" RPG game works brilliantly as a skirmish wargame. Original edition better than the second for Gundam crossover.
We converted several of the old 1/200 Mekton figures into Gundams.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:47:56 PM »
If you start looking into rules for these the "Mekton" RPG game works brilliantly as a skirmish wargame. Original edition better than the second for Gundam crossover.
We converted several of the old 1/200 Mekton figures into Gundams.

Oh I'm quite aware of mekton, though Zeta is my poison of choice.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »
I got the vinyl 1/400 figures in and I must say I'm quite pleased with them! Besides some bendy weapons (easily replaced by 3d printed ones for me at least) they are very well detailed, and at 2-4 dollars per 4cm tall model not a bad price point I think.

Most models I'm still fixing up a bit or converting, but I couldn't help trying out my intended colour scheme for the Zeon side. This was the cheapest model in the lot so the one I would feel least miffed about screwing up.

Let's start with the before shot:

Char aznables MS-14S Gelgoog Commander Type, the first non-aquatic zeon mobile suit equipped with beam weapons. In typical Zeon enthusiasm, this also means a double-sided beam naginata. Note that before the gelgoog only aquatic zeon suits could handle beam weaponry, as they required copious water cooling to handle the reactors needed for the output required.

I wasn't impressed with the beam weapon, and the back-mounted shield is rather small compared to what its usually shown as, so I 3d printed a new one and swapped the weaponry around a bit.

I got a couple of sheets of cheap decals from china, and I think they look rather good on here. My only concern is that I might have been better of using the loads of GW gothic numbers I have, and saving this more militaristic style for the side of the federation.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
Zaku. Zaku. Zaku.

:D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »
Zaku. Zaku. Zaku.

:D

To quote ramba ral "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!"

But yeah I have a pair of zaku II's in the work, and heavily converting a zaku I into a sniper type.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »
Ok ok I give in, Zaku it is.

The MS-06 Zaku II, one of the most recognizable mobile suits, maybe only after the rx78 gundam itself. They formed the backbone of the Zeon forces both on earth and in space. Their external piping for the fluid impulse drives is as iconic as the mono eye sensor.

Presented here with the equally iconic ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun and Heat hawk combat axe.

As you can see the gun hand and head are still posable.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:43:12 PM by YPU »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 01:33:44 PM »
 :-*

Nice GunPla.   How (if at all) are you thinking of mounting these for flying?

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 01:38:47 PM »
I understand all the individual words you used, but have no idea what you are on about... (anthropomorphised robots being a rather well documented and entirely logical hatred of mine)... However I wanted to compliment you on the general modelling and colouring in... the two tone panels in particular is surprisingly effective.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
Nice GunPla.   How (if at all) are you thinking of mounting these for flying?

Thanks! I'm not sure if it counts as Gunpla if it's vinyl figures? For bases I just discovered I have plastic tubing that matches the pegs on the display stands, so I can do hex bases that they solidly connect to and still be able to remove them should I have reason to. Where possible I intend to base them standing, but for the models specifically in flying poses they already come with a separate flying stand, I've just drilled the bases and put a brass tube that fits the stand.

Which is a nice way to tease the next model I guess?

I understand all the individual words you used, but have no idea what you are on about... (anthropomorphised robots being a rather well documented and entirely logical hatred of mine)... However I wanted to compliment you on the general modelling and colouring in... the two tone panels in particular is surprisingly effective.

With 40 years of geeks doing their thing, most gundam robots have a better documented fictional production history than real world vehicles.  lol Thanks for the compliment! The 2 tone countershading is literally one coat of paint over gray primer, with some details picked out and a dirty wash. I might add more weathering and chipping later on, I do love some serious dirt on silly robots. But in terms of time/results its working rather nicely for a silly side project.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »
These are very interesting. I have a group that is wanting to play a giant robot role playing game. Where might I find these Gundams at besides eBay?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
These are very interesting. I have a group that is wanting to play a giant robot role playing game. Where might I find these Gundams at besides eBay?

In this scale? Honestly not that many options. They are/were sold as blind boxes where you get a random model, or you buy a store box which should get you one of each with some doubles. Due to this distribution of rarity the more common ones can be gotten quite cheaply from Ebay. (I got mine from Hiro Japan Store, great service so far) Of course for not that much more you can get the full size 1/144 scale model kits. Many of them go for less than 10 bucks, and if you stick to the more recent releases they are some of the best engineered plastic kits to boot.

I am also quite curious what game you were thinking about, I'm always looking for new systems in the giant robot genre, both rpg and wargame.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
I like the two-tone gray camo. Different from the standard color schemes we've seen a million times, but still plausible and based on real world military equipment. Good stuff.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »
Zaku. Zaku. Zaku.