Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Separating the designer from the game?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Separating the designer from the game?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Deflect deflect...
Okay Boris Johnson... ;)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »
Asking for clarification in this case invites an explicit discussion of politics, which this forum is not in favour of. So no one was burying their head in the sand as far as I can see - think you might have jumped to some hasty conclusions there, Condy  :)
Asking for clarification doesn't necessarily lead to a discussion of politics, unless someone escalates it. I don't know any of the mentioned games, but I am curious if someone's dislike over the quality, lead to an obsession over something imagined, based on something the designer said elsewhere. In the case of  Conan #7, aside from the fact that most of Marvel's current production is half-bothered and derivative, the poster's issues were determined to be incoherent and imagined, based on biases.

Not jumping to hasty conclusions...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
Back to your initial question - I find it very interesting and was subject to your dilemma myself too.
I liked a game for its concept and the miniatures and would have loved to buy and play it, but I would have felt shame and guilt to throw any money in the direction of the makers.
I found my way to work around that by buying it second hand (feeling innocent of having supported them).
Isn't this still supporting them albeit in a a roundabout way? It's only a step away from boycotting Games Workshop and buying a shrink-wrapped slightly scuffed box or book from an independent retailer - almost like money laundering! Why not holy water and meditation and/or prayers to  excise the negative karma?   

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 04:34:27 PM »
Isn't this still supporting them albeit in a a roundabout way? It's only a step away from boycotting Games Workshop and buying a shrink-wrapped slightly scuffed box or book from an independent retailer - almost like money laundering!

I don't think so. Somebody else put his money on them (and I' not talking about a retailer, but some private person). If that one sells on, I am happy and both of us are satisfied with a proper deal.
I just wanted to be of any help with my opinion. You weren't the one who asked, were you?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 04:49:51 PM »
Too much needle in this thread. It was always likely to go this way.
Please also be careful about calling out and disliking 'the views' of named third parties. Lead Adventure isn't here to provide a platform for publicly condemning the views of other people unconnected with this place, particularly when someone is reporting what they believe to be the views of a third party.
Before flames break out in full, we'll pause there until the board moderator gets a chance to take a look and decide if this is a discussion we want to have here.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 05:57:35 PM »
I'd let it run for a bit, but I agree with Captain Blood's previous post in that nothing good will come from this except trash-talking third parties, which is not likely to make them change their ways.

I'll leave this thread locked. If you have a concrete, viable customer issue or personal issue to resolve, I'd suggest taking it up directly with the "guilty party", so to speak.

If it is of valid interest to the community, such as obviously (and preferrably provable) fraudulent behaviour or unreliability, a thread might be warranted if kept civil and on focus.

If it is just personal disagreement with someones particular interests, actions etc., I don't see anything you can viably do except "you pays your money, and you takes your choice". I wouldn't want personal vendettas or campaigns exercised here.