Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Back to the Blocks  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Back to the Blocks
« on: September 06, 2023, 02:12:32 AM »
Hello folks, been a while (I promise I have more Doctor Who stuff coming, but work is getting in the way), I have something old cooking up that I figure you fine fiends may be both interested in and able to help with.

My friend and club mate Andy has come into possession of a lot of classic GW Judge Dredd minis at great cost to himself and his marital harmony  lol

I've agreed to help him get them painted up next year, so look out for that, but we also want to get some games going in Mega City One and/or some adjacent 2000ADish areas. After some consideration, we're going with the Mongoose version of the rules with a few modifications to smooth out the rough parts. I'll be writing up some of our games and how we alter the rules as we go and cross-posting them here for anyone curious. And just to head anyone off, we're not using the Warlord rules because we tried them and found them to be really disappointing, honestly.

As we're getting going though, I'm wondering if anyone out there on LAF happens to know of or have a Gang Roster for the game? Writing out everything by hand is getting to be a bit of a drag, so even something printable would be great.  :D

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Back to the Blocks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 06:03:33 AM »
Have you seen the old Warhammer based JD rules in one of the Citadel Journals/ Compendium…had many a great game with them back in the day.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:07 AM »
We did briefly consider it, but us both already having the Mongoose book was a major factor.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 05:07:08 AM »
Those old citadel JD sculpts captured the comic book feel really well they are still very nice sculpts.  Please share pics of his/ your progress. 

That's a mighty haul good luck with the post-purchase recovery :)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 11:10:27 PM »
Well, the starts aligned and I finally got my game in. Seriously, I was sick for a month and work has been really busy when I'm well enough to get off the couch.

I'm writing it up in detail for my blog, but the small changes to the rules we made seem to work well, so now we'll try out some different gang combinations and maybe even consider a campaign down the track.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:50:09 AM by Hat Guy »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 09:51:17 AM »
Game written up and on the blog;

https://leadcapes.blogspot.com/2023/10/drokk-law-part-i.html

Hope you enjoy the read.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 11:54:33 AM »
I’m incredibly envious Hat Guy! If you continue to struggle with the newer rulesets or get frustrated with having to house rule I can add support to Roo’s post directing you towards the old GW version - it is much better than anything anyone tried later.

Andre
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 12:21:09 AM »
Finally got another two games in, Renegade Robots Vs Judges (robot victory) and Renegade Robots Vs Street Gang (Draw).

The changes are working well now that we're used to how powerful cover is and arming gangs accordingly. Turn limits still need to be worked out, as your typical GW 5-6 is probably a little too few, but the games can drag on a little long. Next up we'll try some fatties and maybe some mutants, but the gangs we have are working well so far.

Painting my robots is on the task list too.  lol

Offline Rommel

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 07:32:38 AM »
Hello,
You may send me the box! lol lol lol