Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2020, 04:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 4 Core Space traders)  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Late to the party.... Dropfleet, Full Thrust and Core Space
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
As always feed back, suggestions and advice are welcome. Feel free to discuss anything I mentioned on my blog in this thread since it is more user friendly than leaving comments on the blog.

The minis are not as glossy in person as they look in the photos. My photography skill has improved a bit but not nearly enough to do the minis justice.
Rick, The Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Re: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 4 Core Space traders)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
I've been eyeing Core Space for a while now and your posts are beginning to worry my wallet.

I've got a couple of questions if you have the time :)
I've read that the miniatures supposed to be 28mm, but some say they're closer to 32mm. How big are the miniatures, how tall?

Do you buy your bases from Litko in the states, or have you found an EU supplier?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Looking good, the extra effort shows. The white on the Tirgarde's vest looks a little thick - but that could be just the size of the photo. Many thin (painful at times) layers will solve that.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »
Munindk, just measuring them now... I would say generally 32mm from Sole of the foot to eye level generally. I have had to become really flexible when it comes to scale variations over the last year. I tend to just consider it bonus diversity... especially in my sci-fi project since humanity may be evolving or genetically modified to suit different environments. Or what may look human might in fact be something else entirely.

I found some Litko bases on Amazon.de but they sold out. I found something close to Litko, but they sold out. Very frustrating really because I would prefer not having to import from the States. I found some 2mm thick clear bases on eBay.co.uk but have not ordered any yet and with Brexit looming may find British sourcing in the Future almost as irritating as American sourcing.

But the thinner bases look so much more appealing to me than the more commonly found 3mm ones.

Von Lucky, good spot there mate. Yeah, I got a bit carried away, sometimes less is more. I was using Army Painter Starship Exterior, which is more a very light grey than white and the thickness snuck up on me. It is much easier to work with than any white I have tried so far though, including the Citadel Contrast Apothecary White... which I used on Tirgarde‘s shoes.

Two things I need to do to improve my work. Thinner paint and more high lighting... but both take so much more time and my back log of projects is crazy.

I notice my photos do not really show the work on did. on all their eyes. It would seem I still have some way to go to improve my photography skills.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:14:04 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
Thank you kindly :)

I'm asking because I think the Core Space crews might work for smugglers and the like for Star Wars, where I plan on using Star Wars Legion miniatures for the most part, and they're 35mm ish.

A couple of hundred 25mm and some 40mm and 50mm bases comes to $50 for the bases and $25 for the shipping... add in customs and it gets really silly.

I'll start to look for european 1,5mm thick bases. Maybe Oshiro can make them?

*edit* I found some from Australia on ebay. 9.85 australian dollars for 100 25mm discs 1.5mm thick. Shipping was 5 australian dollars. Comes to around 9.20 euros and its so cheap that its below the customs limit! I'll let you know if they're worth it when they arrive :) */edit*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:03:58 PM by Munindk »

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
I will be curious to hear if they are proper clear, without a blue or green tinge to them. Otherwise I am considering this supplier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Laser-Cut-2-3-or-5mm-Clear-Acrylic-Circles-Discs-War-Games-Workshop-Bases/122026378459?hash=item1c6956c4db:m:mAj7TipFNpolCXtZcJOux9w

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
I'll let you know when they arrive in 2-6 weeks :)

Meanwhile you can have the link, just bear in mind that I'm not yet recomending them (yet). I need to have the product in hand frist.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acrylic-Disk-Circles-25mm-Diameter-1-5mm-Thick-x-100-pieces-Clear/301870690874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They also have other diameters and thickness' on their shop.

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »
Thanks for the link. The feedback on the item looks good. I could do with some bigger bases for monsters, heavy weapons and robots.... and that is a great price. Just a bit of a wait on delivery... but my backlog is so big that is no stress. I may try them out.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
I got my bases and they're as clear as can be. Got here fast, I ordered on the 23rd of January and the package arrived here today. Less than 2 weeks from Australia to Denmark.

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2020, 11:30:00 PM »
That is pretty quick! I decided to get some 25mm and some 40mm from them yesterday, so it is a relief to hear yours arrived looking good.

Although I have not yet figured out how I am going to base this Troll Forged beastie.... Tau for scale reference... and I need to decide a color scheme. I am thinking an Alien Xenomorph kind of look...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:53:42 PM by Rick W. »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
Having played a game of Core Space now I get it. Awesome game.

Offline Rick W.

• Scientist
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
It is fun. I am glad to hear you enjoy it. And it has so much potential for further development.