Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689639
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars- Up and Coming Vignette- Page 20- UPDATED- 05-04-2023  (Read 40414 times)

Offline Malatesta

• Bookworm
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros- Page 15 UPDATE 19-02-2022
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
First rate as always. Quite inspirational.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros- Page 15 UPDATE 19-02-2022
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
Cheers guys, appreciated.  :)

I've got two blocks of 64 pike to paint next so I'm taking a breather and doing six Italian mounted Arquebusiers  lol

The Sword and Buckler are actually merely the front ranks of the pike blocks!  :o Four bases Sword and Buckler then 16 bases of four pike a piece!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2022, 07:58:54 PM »
Sword and Buckler figures are brilliant.   :o

(Incidentally, apart from great painting the photos are really sharp.  What camera are you using?  Anything on your blog detailing camera \ lighting set up?  I couldn't find anything.)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2022, 08:31:02 PM »
Lovely work as usual…and always…irrespective of period!  Go steady chap as we all love your work!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2022, 08:46:36 PM »
Sword and Buckler figures are brilliant.   :o

(Incidentally, apart from great painting the photos are really sharp.  What camera are you using?  Anything on your blog detailing camera \ lighting set up?  I couldn't find anything.)

Thanks mate :)

I'm just using a Panasonic DC FZ82. The lighting is an old OTT Daylight lamp that I've had for over 20 years. There are also two ordinary lamps either side- if you look at the pics close enough you can tell as the left side is warmer then the right. Technically it could be edited  out (or the bulbs changed!) but it would be a lot of faff, the editing that is not the blubs. Ideally I would not use the lamps projecting light from the sides but my painting desk is miles away from the window. I have got space to set up a spot just for the camera but I need to clear some space first.

I'll probably put together a blog post on the photography. It's pretty basic so should be very easy to follow. I should probably think a little more about the quality of the photography but I tend to get carried away once I have (finally0 finished a unit  o_o
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 08:49:02 PM by Atheling »

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »
Great painting and photography as usual Darrell
One problem I find with close ups is that they inevitably reveal tiny bare patches or flaws that I cannot see with the naked eye (even with magnifiers) and so this means that I often have to touch up and photograph again. I never see any such flaws with yours though - is this something you have to do - I suspect the reason it happens to me is that I paint quite quickly but i get the impression you are very methodical and diligent in your approach, the result of winch is the superb quality

I'm interested to know
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2022, 10:55:36 PM »
Just.  So.  Good.  Such great work.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2022, 12:11:03 AM »
Exceptional work.  I really like how you've used the green.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2022, 06:15:53 AM »
Exceptional work.  I really like how you've used the green.

Just.  So.  Good.  Such great work.

Thank you for the very kind words and encouragement guys :)

Great painting and photography as usual Darrell
One problem I find with close ups is that they inevitably reveal tiny bare patches or flaws that I cannot see with the naked eye (even with magnifiers) and so this means that I often have to touch up and photograph again.

Thank you mate :)

Not really. On occasion it has happened but it is quite rare. The last piece I did for my Italian Wars collection the Spanish Cannon really needed touching up as it had a great dollop of the basecoat I use for the bases over the half an arm on one of the mini's. Usually if I detect any mistakes they are minor and I just let them be. A decade ago I might very well have jumped up and sorted them out bit not now, life's too short.

I never see any such flaws with yours though - is this something you have to do - I suspect the reason it happens to me is that I paint quite quickly but i get the impression you are very methodical and diligent in your approach, the result of winch is the superb quality

I think the best way to answer that is to say that I've done quite a few speed painting exercises over the years but only on miniatures that I think would suit that style- and my speed painting might very well be slow for some! Normally, I am indeed quite methodical. I tend to paint one area on a mini then the next rather then putting down all the base colours then highlighting etc. I'm quite lucky in that I can visualise what other colours would be complimentary etc and might be useful on any given model. Part Art School (i.e. real paintings) and partly gleaned in over two decades of painting miniatures.

I have to add, I was alo very lucky in that my first real (attend every week) club was SESWC (Edinburgh Wargames Club) which included members like Brian Phillips and David Imrie. I learned a hell of a lot from both of them in terms of technique and we would spend more time than is probably healthy talking about painting miniatures! I got to see the work of Andrew Taylor "in the flesh" at Claymore most years which was a real eye opener too (his work still astounds me- almost certainly the best in the business).

I'm interested to know

I hope that all makes sense mate?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:53:16 PM by Atheling »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2022, 07:42:13 AM »
Gorgeous painting, what a magnificent army :-*
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »
Great painting on your Rodeleros, i was planning on building and painting a
Spanish army next mainly from TAG, keep up the good work !

Brian

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2022, 03:56:59 PM »
Gorgeous painting, what a magnificent army :-*

Thanks mate :)

Great painting on your Rodeleros, i was planning on building and painting a
Spanish army next mainly from TAG, keep up the good work !

Brian

TAG are oft overlooked, which I find surprising as they are very well sculpted, beautifully cast and spot on for the early-ish parts of the Italian Wars. Of course, their German Maximilian Imperial and French Valois are perfect for the late stages of the series of conflicts and Ceresole 1544.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Italian Wars- Sword and Buckler Single Bases Added- Page 16 UPDATED 22-02-20
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2022, 08:54:16 AM »
Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros- Single Bases Added

Cheers :)

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
Absolutely love the minis, great painwork!

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
More beautiful additions to the collection mate 👌