Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Making a river  (Read 1577 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Making a river
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
I have wanted to build a nice river for years and I finally decided to take the jump.  I had the parts custom cut by Warbases and I cannot say enough about their services.  I made a mistake in ordering and now have twelve feet of river.  I am not complaining as I will use it.  Each section is 12 X 6 inches.  The bends are at 45 degree angles.  Here is the blank parts glued together. 

The banks were filled and sanded. 

Basing material was added.

It was painted

First layer of resin was poured.

Waves were added with two part epoxy resin.

I have sixteen more to go then touch ups, vegetation and felt on the bottoms. 
Hope you like.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Making a river
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »
Great colour. I am going tlo make some streams soon so I will be keeping an eye on this project.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:35:09 AM »
Final effect looks really good - are you using some sort of resin or Woodland Scenics Water Effects, maybe?

A minor critique, if I may: if you could better feather the shallows into the the main flow and the darker center you'll heighten the effect quite a lot.  Depends on the paint but if acrylics it can be a challenge but can be done by thinning the paint just a bit so you can blend a bit before it dries.  And, not a critique but a hope, when you apply the vegetation and/or the banks, want to see the gap between water and land go away.  Then it will really pop! 

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »
Final effect looks really good - are you using some sort of resin or Woodland Scenics Water Effects, maybe?

A minor critique, if I may: if you could better feather the shallows into the the main flow and the darker center you'll heighten the effect quite a lot.  Depends on the paint but if acrylics it can be a challenge but can be done by thinning the paint just a bit so you can blend a bit before it dries.  And, not a critique but a hope, when you apply the vegetation and/or the banks, want to see the gap between water and land go away.  Then it will really pop!
First thanks for the comps.  I am using resin with a couple of drops of ink for the water.  For the color, that is the third repaint and I finally threw my hands up.  I have never been good at either feathering/blending paint or painting flat surfaces.  I plan to have vegetation overhanging the bank and some growing out of the water. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:52:41 AM by snitcythedog »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
that's a super job - particularly like the expoxy 'waves' / movement.

wish I had the skill and patience to do stuff like this!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
Finished the water surface and vegetation on all the bends.  After everything has a day or so to set up I will felt the bottom and they will be called done.  If all of the stars align this weekend and my wife contains her honeydo list I will have half of the river sections poured.  Hope you like.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 12:59:36 AM »
Hey, I recognize that river.  It's in Italy and renowned worldwide. It is Pizza River!    lol lol o_o lol :D ;) :) lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 01:09:22 AM »
It’s also an excellent educational resource for children. If you have 8 pieces of river and you subtract two, how many river pieces do you have left?  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
It’s also an excellent educational resource for children. If you have 8 pieces of river and you subtract two, how many river pieces do you have left?  :)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
This has turned into a bit of a goat rope.  So far I have only managed to finish up five of the twelve sections.  Needless to say real life got in the way of getting these done.  Here are a couple of the sections pretty much finished. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 06:20:15 PM »
Those strait sections look good - and might avoid future food references  lol.  And don't forget to count your corner pieces, that means at least 11 pieces finished so far.  Find the silver lining.