Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How easy is it to paint over metallic spray primers?  (Read 612 times)

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
How easy is it to paint over metallic spray primers?
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
Both Army Painter and GW (that I know of) do spray primers in metallic colours, e.g. plate metal, gun metal and gold.

Normally I would expect it to be difficult to paint over a metallic colour and get good coverage, whether acrylic or enamel.

How easy is it to paint over these matallic primers with ordinary colours? Such as flesh, red, blue etc?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: How easy is it to paint over metallic spray primers?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:37:26 AM »
Cannot answer your question but I'm hard put to imagine a use for a metallic primer on miniatures.  A ship of some kind, like a war ship?  Maybe?  For me, metallic effects are something done at the very end of the painting process, perhaps even after seal coating.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:10:09 AM »
Not difficult. I've done it. You could always do a test by spraying a piece of sprue or something.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
I regularly use a silver spray paint as a combined primer/basecoat, and it works just fine.

Granted; I only do this because the model in question needs to be largely metallic, but painting over it is no problem at all.

Mostly, I use washes over it, to tint the metal, but for those details that require standard painting, straight paint over it works perfectly fine.

Now; I use a spray can of silver acrylic paint from Hema, a Dutch chain of stores that only sells their own brands, but I reckon it's no different from those sold by Armypainter, Vallejo or GW.

Just go for it; once well dried, the metallic particles in the paint will not come off, so the subsequent layers of paint over it will not have any stray particles in them. In my experience anyway...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!