Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone notice a decline in service generally  (Read 2353 times)

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
Anyone notice a decline in service generally
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi
My last two purchases have both hit problems ,mainly in communication but also fulfillment of orders.
I wont mention names but was wondering if this sort of problem is becoming more common.
A very well known manufacturer regularly posts replies to any comment.I had 4 orders;2 were fulfilled well I was wrong and short of figures which were then sent.1 never arrived. No reply to emails Poor and means will not purchase again as had similar experience a few years ago with same range.
Other manufacturer was going to send models 10th of month as was away in far east.No models ,no replies to emails.
Maybe a bad trader board is needed!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Anyone notice a decline in service generally
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »
I thought we had a thread for seller feedback?  Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

I've had generally good service, but I almost never arrange a purchase with anyone on a board/forum/facebook.  It's almost always through eBay, official websites, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
Yep generally amazing gzg aventine fighting 15s empress all spring to mind as being exceptional.

Just really annoyed that a trader can answer to any positive comments on here within minutes to get his thread to the top of the board yet cant answer requests for postage details.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Could be. I can say that I have not been impressed with a number of things lately.
Maybe just a slump?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »
I find some of these topics pretty hard to address without getting into politics too deeply.

I think it is hugely important to remember the general typical make up of a wargaming 'company' and the climate they are operating in.

So, as a general rule the industry is considered a cottage industry - a turn of phrase that means;
a business or manufacturing activity carried on in people's homes.

That suggests that the companies in question are typically small, with only one or two people behind them and a turnover that doesn't support more staff or a more commercial premises to operate from.

With this knowledge any sort of illness, bereavement, holiday or hiccup can, and does, impact on the day to day running of the business. Add to that some of the folks that run them do not do so full time and have a main job they earn a living from.

Then you need to consider the impact of the economic climate. Rise in costs passed onto the customers means that their pool of customers is impacted and no doubt shrinks. Rising costs of shipping equally do the same. In the UK austerity has been ongoing for over a decade seeing an overall decrease in wages when rising cost of living and inflation rates have outstripped pay rises.

This has really put not just this industry but many self employed businesses and small companies under pressure. A pressure that has in many cases impacted upon the mental and physical health of people working in them.

So yes, response times may not be as great as they once were, but there may be many good reasons for this, and have always been a hazard in this industry.

I'm loathe to criticise until I know more, especially as a tour around any number of prominent UK wargaming shows will quickly introduce you to the wonderful people behind the businesses, and how many are humble, down to earth and supportive folks.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:15:14 PM »
Yep generally amazing gzg aventine fighting 15s empress all spring to mind as being exceptional.

Just really annoyed that a trader can answer to any positive comments on here within minutes to get his thread to the top of the board yet cant answer requests for postage details.

Completely agree with you, selectively answering posts to keep your business at the top of a board whilst not answering customer emails or addressing their issues isn’t good customer service (cottage industry or not).

Maybe you should post your issues on the thread, at least they’d get some attention and raise awareness for other potential customers?

Online Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:42 PM »
Could be a symptom of the general state of Affairs: Brexit, Trump, neo-nazis, etc. Getting everybody down. Plus, if you are a one man company you can only do one thing at a time and you do have to allow for breaks and "downtime" otherwise the burnout just makes things worse.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
After a long stretch of no purchases, I made several orders with number of different companies over the past month.  My experience with all orders I made has been completely satisfactory, and the companies ranged from a major retailer to a couple of one-man part-time businesses.  So, I'd say that there is no overall or general decline in service, but that you've had the misfortune to get two bad experiences in a row.

There are definitely companies out there with poor communications, and while there can be all sorts of reasons for poor communications, none of the excuses are particularly comforting for those of us who have sent our hard earned money to someone who simply sits on it and doesn't deliver the promised goods. 

While it doesn't help you now, there are a few things to be done before future purchases to help reduce the risk of disappointment:
1. Check reviews on line and particularly on a forum like LAF.  If the vendor has a poor track record in delivering product, you'll probably find complaints.
2.  Reach out to the company before placing your order.  A message like, "I am planning a purchase from you, can you provide some information please" is a good test.  If they respond quickly and professionally to your query, then you're likelier to have a pleasant experience than if your message is ignored or snarked.  One of the orders I mentioned above was to a company that hadn't updated their website in a long time; I still got a quick response, so I sent my money and got my new toys within a week.

so, I'd say no overall decline in quality of service out there, but it's worth doing some research before placing orders.

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the interest and comments
I would emphasise that most people involved in the hobby are tremendous and work hard to keep up standards.
I wouldn't criticise openly any person as I may just be unlucky and I find that negative comments on here can just be abusive as in the criticism of Butlers models here by a regular contributor.
Constructive criticism is different
My response is not to buy again and soon I will ne selling the figures I already have and not complete the project I started.
The other problem was resolved just after I posted here
Coincidence?  I dont think so just a one man band maybe struggling which is different from a large manufacturer consistently failing
Thanks for the engagemenwargaming reflects society...Good and bad.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
The problem with a Bad Trader board is that now LAF is owned by a 'trader', ie me, it could go down really, really badly.  lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »
The problem with a Bad Trader board is that now LAF is owned by a 'trader', ie me, it could go down really, really badly.  lol

lol

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
I have to say that luckily I cannot remember the last time I had bad service from a trader. I mainly buy from traders that I have used for several years, but that is more because I am a creature of habit than any other reason.

But my personal point of view is perhaps, rather than just critique and get upset at the people who supply us with the toy soldiers (and accessories) that we enjoy playing with so much, should we not consider our actions first. Maybe it is not a decline in service but a fact that we, as customers, have become a lot more demanding??

For example, with the advent of modern communication technology we can send instant messages and get annoyed when they are not answered in a timely manner (but that is our own perception of timely). We then send a more irrate email or post on public boards such as these, claiming that the world is going to the dogs and bemoaning the decline in civilised, toy soldier playing, society. I for one am not blamless, I have sent irrate emails in the past to sales people, but recent events have made me more circumspect about one's actions and the differing ways that other people's preconceptions change their perceptions of them. 

"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
Hi
I can see your problem nick and agree that a bad trader board would open it all up to individual rants from some of the more angry members
Your service is excellent btw
As to instant replies being required I am awaiting a reply for 4 months after 2 emails.
I ordered some items from China on Sunday
Arrived today!

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
there are bad traders, indeed, but there is a pathetic universal postal service ...
sometimes UK to France in 3 days
sometimes UK to France in 4 weeks
and ( but less common ) sometimes "lost somewhere" ...

( and it's not better from France to UK or elsewhere )

never had problems with most of the traders , for the others
i always use Paypal , and never wait 4 months for a reply ... ( except for Kickstarters  ;) )
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
My 2 cents (or tuppence or centimes or whatever) - it's a public service to let folk intending to part with hard earned cash know that company X will fail to deliver your complete and correct order after 9 months and repeated email.

And Northstar, along with all the wargames companies I have dealt with, bar two, has been consistently excellent.

So I say - name and shame. As long as it is a factual statement of your experience, and not a string of abuse, then it's fair game, in the same way as eBay or Amazon feedback.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---