Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dawnbringer does the Witcher in 28mm  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Dawnbringer

• Assistant
Dawnbringer does the Witcher in 28mm
« on: August 21, 2019, 01:32:41 AM »
So, after several years away from the hobby, I'm about to get back into it. However I've also just moved continents so I've had to leave my mountains on unbuilt/painted minis behind in storage. Most of my stuff was for LotR in 28mm; GW along with other compatible manufacturers (Perry, Fireforge, GB, etc). Not wanting to duplicate anything I already had I've decided to start a new project based on the Witcher games. The general scheme is to set it in period of the Northern wars and use Perry HYW for the Kingdoms of Temeria and Redania. I accept that the WotR would perhaps be a better fit, but I've got piles of those in bins across the ocean, whereas I've yet to buy any of the 'new' HYW stuff.

While the project was spawned with the concept of the Perry's HYW, I've kept my eyes out for other manufactures to use for other powers. As my order from Northstar arrived before my Perry order, this first post will cover what I've got on the go for Skellige so far.

First is the an Craites

These, along with the rest of the metal characters/command for Skellige have come from Footsore. On the left is Cerys (Lady Guinevere), who is unchanged. The middle is Crach (Harald Hardrada of the Varangian Guard), he's had a hand swap for a more impressive axe, and I've used a plastic shield so it matches the rest. I'm not 100% sold on the axe though and may swap for something else if it catches my fancy. Finally on the right is Hjalmar (Magnus Grimface - Berserker 4), I've removed the spear that is sticking through him, given him a hand swap with a Perry metal knight and also given him shield.

Next are the Tuirseachs

On the left is Svanrige and the right is King Bran. Both are from the Brian Boru pack

Then we have a few generic command options and a particular Druid.

On the left is a skald, perhaps Draig Bon-Dhu. I've given him an axe in keeping with the general theme. Next is Ermion/Mousesack, I've removed the severed head from his left hand as Ermion doesn't seem the type... Both him and the skald come from the Early Saxon Characters pack. Then there is a standard standard and captain pairing, both from the Late Saxon/Anglo Danish Lord pack.

Lastly we have 24 warriors assembled using the Fireforge Scandinavian plastics.

These sometimes require some tricky posturing/limb realignment (via scalpel and glue) so they don't end up in a daft body position. Even then the results can be mixed. I went with Fireforge as I wanted the scale armour that can feature heavily on the warriors in the Witcher 3 (at least in the concept art), but I'm slightly wishing I had gone with the new Victrix Vikings. I only got two boxes worth of the Fireforge so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully my paint order from Wayland arrives soon, and then there may actually be some colour appearing. I also need to work on a photo box, so that I can get a more straight on angle going when I take pictures. Next post will be some Redanian and Temerian command and some soldiers that will work for either of their armies.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Dawnbringer does the Witcher in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 02:11:21 AM »
Great stuff!
Doing a similar thing,albeit for Joe Abercrombie's Circle of the World novels.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »
Cool, I'm excited to see how this progresses.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
Watching with interest. I’m doing something similar but focusing on Redania. Loving the choice of minis.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:29:59 PM »
Welcome back!  Looks like you are off to an excellent start. I am looking forward to updates,

-Michael