Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 592
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heavy Jungle Support  (Read 760 times)

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
Heavy Jungle Support
« on: August 21, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
Over at Britcon, I bought myself a couple of 8th Army 25lbers from Forged in Battle. I will be using them for Allied support in Malaya and there's a few more pictures on my blog (along with a video report of the Other Partizan show that was held last Sunday), check it all out on my blog:

https://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/2019/08/heavy-jungle-support.html

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Heavy Jungle Support
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
If you are doing Malaya 41-42, helmets should me lighter, and the uniform should be in KD rather than Battledress Brown. Malaya was a tropical posting and thus standard KD. Later on they first dyed uniforms in Jungle Green, and then received proper JG. Another issue was that while Malaya is indeed Tropical (I remember a good friend from KL telling me they have two seasons, dry summer, wet summer...) the use of tropical uniform with short trousers and short sleeves was impractical on campaign due to vegetation and insects....
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Good points, but this picture of British infantry in Malaya in 1941 would seem to suggest otherwise

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
I think I have been misunderstood. I said that in the 41-42 8th Army look is correct. My only remark on your crews was that the helmets were too dark... I would have said even the KD, but looking again it can just be the picture.

I was then rambling about the practicality of the tropical uniform.  Colonel Paris was one of the first complaining, and his regiment, then brigade was the one doing most of cross country training, and suffering accordingly. There are comments about the Highlanders being in tatters after exercises... You can even argue that  before him basically the troops had stayed around the cities...

And you see the Army discarding the standard tropical uniform after the first Burma campaign and starting a trend toward more localized uniform culminating with the 1944 JG (that basically reached the Far East at the end of summer 45... but would be there for another campaign in Malaya). Just that.

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
Sorry! I misread your post!