Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Von Knyphausen at Trenton  (Read 762 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Von Knyphausen at Trenton
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Here we have my first attempts at snow basing. This is a group shot of the von Knyphausen Fusiliers. All in all, not bad for a first attempt. I'm pretty happy with the end result.These three were the very first attempts. I was/am unhappy with these, but they blend in OK. I'll leave them like this until I can think of a way to improve them. There not bad, just not up to my standards.I learned a lot between my first attempt and this, my second try. These look a heck of a lot better and I am in a lot better place when it come to using the snow paste than I was on my first try. I know the ways mix it and the different ways to apply it.Finally, another group shot. The next time I do this, they will be better.Are people still interested in a "how to?" on this? I learned some valuable tips just by trial and error. I'm not going to bother for one or two people, but if enough request it, I'll write it up proper with photos.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Von Knyphausen at Trenton
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
Nicely painted, I understand you are happier with your artillery bases.
On a table full of snow, they wouldn't look at all bad, though.
I think the bases in the third pic look more natural and the command bases as well.
Please, count me in for the "how to"! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:54:03 AM »
I went back over the 3 stands that I was unhappy with and improved them. I am happy with them now. The bases were too white. I wanted to break them up with mud, grass and earth more. Here's what I did:

I ended up going back over some snow sections with my regular ground mixture, making it dark again. While the ground mix as still wet, I sprinkled some 6 mm static grass onto it. Brush this upward using a soft brush if you have too. You wan this grass sticking straight up.

Once that dried, I drybrushed the grass a dark brown.

I went back in with the snow paste in and around the grass and while that was wet, I sprinkled some WS Soft Flake Snow on top of it.
Where there were low depressions in the ground, I put a few drops of WS Realistic Water and let it settle. Then a very light mist of Soft Flake Snow on the Realistic Water

So, here are the finished snow bases. Comments?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 08:09:37 AM »
You did a good job, all the bases have a uniform texture now.
It will be great to see them how they look on a snowed table

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »
Thanks, Din. They look much better now.