Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Bellorum  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
Dux Bellorum
« on: December 09, 2019, 07:55:59 AM »
How much are people using these rules? I have a copy and have just started collecting armies for them, I like the look of the rules they seem to have a good period feel to them but I don't see them mentioned much on line any more.

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
Re: Dux Bellorum
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
Ciao Red Sveta,
I have been playing DB for some months and together with my friend we have enjoyed these rules very much.
They are simple to understand and offer a very good feel of the period. The scenarios are very fun and we are even planned to amend the rules for playing other historical periods.
They are very good value also because you don't need to have too many figures for playing.
Cheers
Marco

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Thank you for your response, I do like the look of the rules and I am going to start with a sub Roman army. The only problem is the lack of army lists for forces out side Britain. I am rather interested in Clovis and that period as a whole it seems a shame the rules are not more popular with gamers and have more recourses available. I would be interested in what other periods you are going to use them for.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »
I played a game at a convention a couple of years ago and from that decided to switch my early Roman small battle/big skirmish project to modified DB from modified Lion Rampant (from one Mersey ruleset to another).  Using a base of 3 or 6mm as a century.

Chris

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
The only problem is the lack of army lists for forces out side Britain. I am rather interested in Clovis and that period
The rules contain all the unit types so just write your own list for Clovis' forces. The points are pretty balanced and there aren't really any super units, so allow the Franks to take more cavalry or whatever that suits your idea of their composition. As long as you take the same points on each side you'll be fine. Or the existing lists are flexible enough to allow you to field something approaching your idea of a Frankish force.

They're a fun set of rules that I've not played for s long while but always enjoyed when I did. Some people don't like how skirmishers are modelled in the rules, but Dan has explained his thinking. They're hard to use but are probably a pretty accurate reflection of their usefulness in the period. 
It's also always better as the rules are written to spend your LPs on defence rather than attack. So some sort of rule to limit the amount you can spend (I think we generally went with two, but sometimes just allowed only a single one in our games) makes for a better game.
Generally the games we played went Advance. Ineffective Missile Fire. Clash of Battle Lines. Grind. Grind. Grind. Someone Breaks. General Collapse.
So a pretty accurate depiction of Dark Age warfare in my view. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:29:08 AM by TWD »

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
So far we have mainly played Arthurian armies but we have tried to prepare home grown lists for Middle Imperial Romans.
We have also found many suggestion in this site
http://luddite1811.blogspot.com/2013/03/dux-bellorum-wars-of-roses-unofficial.html
It is referred to WOTR but we found it helps  for many other periods.
If you like we can exchange our list in PM.
Marco

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
We still play regularly at the ELMS club in Leeds. It's absolutely my go to ruleset for the early medieval period.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »
We've played quite a few games - both in period, and recently with Hoplomachia a Greek mod. we have been working on. I think it is a fantastic, elegant game and couldn't recommend it enough.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/search/label/Dux%20Bellorum

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
They are a very good set of rules, played a lot over the years.

As mentioned, helps a lot to limit the LPs that can be spent on Defence. I also believe that  Shieldwall units have the edge over warrior units.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
We've played quite a few games - both in period, and recently with Hoplomachia a Greek mod. we have been working on. I think it is a fantastic, elegant game and couldn't recommend it enough.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/search/label/Dux%20Bellorum

This is a fantastic idea!  I look forward to read more about your progress!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
We've been enjoying these rules too.

As Craig said, above, too many leadership points can ruin a game. We don't allow buying any additional LP. This makes using the ones you have more important and doesn't slow combat down.