Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The King - new Netflix film  (Read 12934 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
The King - new Netflix film
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
Apparently based on Henry IV parts I&2 and Henry V .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: The King - new Netflix film
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:09:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to that.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:57:51 AM »
Oooooh.....nice

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:25:40 AM »
looks good
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
Yeah...oooh indeed!

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 05:53:22 PM »
Looks pretty promising.

Maybe a bit heavy on the colour filter at times; I wouldn't mind "olden days" films to be a bit more vibrant every now and then.
~Ad finem temporum~

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Interesting.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
That does look good

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:04:26 PM »
It seems to be in the same style as the Outlaw King. Which could use some improvements but i enjoyed it very much and welcomed it as a step to the right direction.
I have to say that i have my doubts about the cast. Especially the twilight guy....

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »
Looks pretty promising.

Maybe a bit heavy on the colour filter at times; I wouldn't mind "olden days" films to be a bit more vibrant every now and then.

One of the reasons to watch Helen Mirren as Elizabeth Tudor (apart from her own unmatched acting) is that the show recognises the pre-Victorian world was not a uniformly muddy mass of grey and brown. Someone remembered that rich people spend money on their clothes (not Mirren - she's a nudist), or looked at a few renaissance paintings.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:53 AM »
It seems to be in the same style as the Outlaw King. Which could use some improvements but i enjoyed it very much and welcomed it as a step to the right direction.
I have to say that i have my doubts about the cast. Especially the twilight guy....

Actually, it seems they intend to follow a traditional take on the story, using Shakespeare's Henriad cycle as main source of inspiration. Oddly, I prefer that approach. At least, we are certain that Shakespeare knew how to write a play and made it interesting. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:52 AM »
With the HYW being an almost lifelong obsession; I'm reserving judgement.

It's definitely based on Henry IV and Henry V by the Bard. I do hope that it has some twists and turns that are not already anticipated by Shakespeare.

From the brief bit's I've seen on the trailer they appear to have got the look of the thing more or less correct but I might live to regret making that observation!:)

I'm looking forward to seeing it, it hits Netflix UK on November 27, 2019.

Kind Regards

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
Actually, it seems they intend to follow a traditional take on the story, using Shakespeare's Henriad cycle as main source of inspiration. Oddly, I prefer that approach. At least, we are certain that Shakespeare knew how to write a play and made it interesting.

oh I totally agree on that. I was commenting mainly on the visuals. Outlaw King has its weaknesses as a movie but i see it as a step forward regarding the historical accuracy. This looks to be in the same vein. Bright colors, people dont look like they were rolling in mud. Black Adder haircuts  lol. If i see  a carriage without solid wood wheels i will cheer  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »
oh I totally agree on that. I was commenting mainly on the visuals. Outlaw King has its weaknesses as a movie but i see it as a step forward regarding the historical accuracy. This looks to be in the same vein. Bright colors, people dont look like they were rolling in mud. Black Adder haircuts  lol. If i see  a carriage without solid wood wheels i will cheer  lol

Can't be any worse than The Hollow Crown which had Henry V running 'round in a Greek Hoplite's cuirass!!  lol lol lol.

(I thought Tom Hiddleston's Henry was quite poor as well, but that's going OT ;) )

Kind Regards

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
Can't be any worse than The Hollow Crown which had Henry V running 'round in a Greek Hoplite's cuirass!!  lol lol lol.

(I thought Tom Hiddleston's Henry was quite poor as well, but that's going OT ;) )

Kind Regards

Or the black french princess and if i remember there were some literally black knights in the series  lol. Although to be fair that was more like an extravagant stage play adaptation, not a period drama per se. At least thats the way i tried to explain it  lol