Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:19:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix and Warlord size  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Victrix and Warlord size
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »
I felt compelled to replace my plastic WW2 Soviet platoon with the much superior (IMO) Artizan and Crusader metals. Whether or not I would've made the same move if my collection was already into the hundreds, I'm unsure, but I can empathise with the pain!

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
Shabharaz, funnily enough I rather like the Warlord Germans and Britons I have, but the Romans are less to my taste.  The Auxilia are fine, but the Legion are a bit odd in that they have a very cartoon like style.   But then my Auxilia are metal and my Legionaries are plastic and I do find with WWII that the Warlord plastics are more stylised. 

Gibby's picture above is a quite a shocking comparison.  The Victrix figures are in a different league. 

Why do I always discover these things when I am several hundred quid into a project...

Postscript:  I have just been to the Victrix site and am now crying into my cocoa.  I missed a trick there.  Their Romans are superb and their Gallic Warriors are amazing.  Bugger.

Thanks again. 

Rich
In fairness, there must be around a decade between the Warlord Games and Victrix Gauls - not only will that account for some differences in quality, it also means you may perhaps not have been able to purchase the Victrix models yet at the time. Can always add some Victrix ones in, can't have too many "barbarians" surely?

Victrix Greeks mix quite well with Warlord Games Macedonians by the way (own sculpts, not the smaller former-Immortal-Miniatures-Greeks), which is useful in interested in marching rather than standing poses.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Griff Glowen

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
Gibby's picture above is a quite a shocking comparison.  The Victrix figures are in a different league. 

Why do I always discover these things when I am several hundred quid into a project...

Postscript:  I have just been to the Victrix site and am now crying into my cocoa.  I missed a trick there.  Their Romans are superb and their Gallic Warriors are amazing.  Bugger.
I feel your pain.  I was pleasantly surprised to visit this forum for the first time and find my own picture above! (it comes from my mostly-board-game related painting blog https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/8627/griff-glowens-beginners-painting-blog) Here is a painted comparison (I had to use centurion Warlord romans as I haven't painted the basic ones yet). 

My first foray into historicals was buying some second hand Warlord romans but when I bought a small sprue of Victrix I wished I had gone with them from the start.  Part of me hoped that Victrix would be much more expensive but they aren't!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:17:07 AM by Griff Glowen »

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
Warlord Imperial Roman figures were sculpted to match the Perry Romans that Wargames Foundry sells.

If that was the intention they certainly failed! I have a lot of the Perry Roman figures crouching and thrusting the sword. He is a head taller than the Warlord stationery figure, and his bunk and shield are notably bigger.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12:12 PM »
It seems that the big issue is different sculptors and while Victrix scaling is pretty consistent across their ranges, Warlord have acquired different ranges from different sculptors and different manufacturers. So consistency is an issue.

My Celts are largely Newline so far, Romans & Carthaginians are Victrix and Greeks are Immortal Miniatures (now Warlord). Mixing them would be an issue, but they are generally in different armies, what is a real issue is when the Legions and Auxilia are scaled quite differently (Warlord). I hate when one 'side' has different scales or basing within their force.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »

Thanks again. 

Rich

You could always sell on your substandard stuff and ask Victrix for a celebrity discount if you promote their product (either in print or on one of your YouTube broadcasts, or both). After all, magazine reviewers get freebies to review (and you do occasionally write in magazines) so a discount might not be impossible.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »
Ouch! - but when is he ever going to get positive feedback from WG after that..  :)  I mean, not that that ever happens anyway... oh...

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 04:36:05 AM »
Well,,this thread came back from the dead.

I’ve ended up building about ten different armies for Infamy, Infamy!  Chiefly I went with Foundry in the end as I found their ranges to be comprehensive and really nice sculpts. Some of them, like the Copplestine sculpted Germans are, to my eye, the best figures I’ve ever painted.

I rather abandoned plastics as not being robust enough for my personal needs. My figures do a lot of mileage, going round the shows and Lardy games days, so metal suits me better as there are less prone to broken spears. That said, if you replace the plastic spears with metal ones, Victrux figures are incredibly beautiful. Our house artist has painted a lot of them for use inside the rule book; they are simply stunning.  I’ll post some later.

I have to say that the idea of a quid pro quo, where I get cheap figures based on then promoting them isn’t something that I’d even consider.  We do a lot of product recommendation on the Lardy Oddcast, but always based on what we have bought and liked, never as a repayment for discounts.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
I really like the Foundry sculpts as well, but when in lockdown, between jobs, I ended up picking up a bunch of Newline Celts cheaply on eBay. I'm using Victrix plastics for my Romans.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
I have to say that the idea of a quid pro quo, where I get cheap figures based on then promoting them isn’t something that I’d even consider.  We do a lot of product recommendation on the Lardy Oddcast, but always based on what we have bought and liked, never as a repayment for discounts.

Rich

A refreshingly honest approach.
I can obviously be bought too easily - but if anyone sends me anything to review I will comment if it's plug ugly.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 10:08:29 PM »
I rather abandoned plastics as not being robust enough for my personal needs.

I agree.

I love plastics though - I rather like putting them together and getting subtle pose differences. 

Yes, changing the spears helps.  (but the swords, bows, pila, slings, etc ...)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »
Didnt Warlord update their old Romans to better match their newer models, those old were their first and are really small.

I think their newer Romans are larger?

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 06:56:33 AM »
Didnt Warlord update their old Romans to better match their newer models, those old were their first and are really small.

I think their newer Romans are larger?
What newer Romans?

Their Late Republican Romans which also appear in SPQR are larger but the plastic boxed sets of EIR are still the same basically 25mm guys so far as I'm aware.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:55 AM »
One thing people forget is that most Romans were shorter than many of their opponents. So appearing to be 25mm is actually a good representation of a 28mm person.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 06:25:06 PM »
One thing people forget is that most Romans were shorter than many of their opponents. So appearing to be 25mm is actually a good representation of a 28mm person.

I’ve heard many people try to tell themselves that ...  :D

If they’re in different units, no one is going to really make a big deal of it.