Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:13:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Black Seas  (Read 10354 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Warlord Games Black Seas
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
we had a game last night (scenario 2, but using the advanced rules). Actually we had two games, both fun; first one the merchant escaped, second one she was boarded by two brigs but survived due to good rolling, and due to the fact that one had been badly damaged by the merchant colliding with it.
Anyway, we tried the revised critical hits (rolling for crits per damage caused), and I felt a 10% chance per damage was too low; we got too few criticals. So I’d either use a d6 and say 6s are crits, or uses d10s and says 9s and 10s are crits.

Question about the scenario. Do the privateers only get their 2 bonus dice when they initiate boarding, or all the time? The privateers boarded the merchant, won the boarding action thanks to getting a ‘1’ on one of their hits, but took so much damage themselves in the process (both sides got 3 hits, so the brig lost 6 damage, while the merhcant lost 8 due to the critical) that they struck, which is a bit odd….
The merchant then boarded and reclaimed the loot from the struck privateer.
We gave them the bonus all the time (and the +2 to hit), but the merchant kept rolling 4 or less so was getting hits even with its green crew, and the brigs just can’t afford the damage.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
This release came out of nowhere for me.

It is the one era I really like but have never done because the ships available were all too small. 1/700 is, for me, the ideal scale because I want lots of detail in the models.

I don't think I would do a lot of ships, but I'm going to go all in and buy Meridian sails and ratlines as well. From what I have seen the models themselves look fantastic.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »
The models come with sails (which are nice) and ratlines (not so much, but they are ok). The starter set even comes with thread for standing rigging. It's a fun set of rules, plays fast, and is accessible to landlubbers. If I want more realism I'll use Post Captain but really that's strictly one person, one ship; too complicated to do more.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
Check this out:

Warlord game frigate hull with Meridan masts, sails, ratlines, and small fixtures. The sailors are by Eduard miniatures.

You can find it: HERE

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
Yeah, talk about taking it to another level.... that guy is brilliant. The patience to add crew... amazing!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
New pre-order:

- US Navy Fleet
- Spanish Navy Fleet
- Santisima Trinidad
- HMS Royal Sovereign
- Scenery Pack

https://mailchi.mp/warlordgames/warlord-games-new-pre-orders-for-black-seas-and-warlords-of-erehwon

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
Good to know! The scenery is tempting as a basis for a bit more.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Check this out:

Warlord game frigate hull with Meridan masts, sails, ratlines, and small fixtures. The sailors are by Eduard miniatures.

You can find it: HERE

Yeah Julian is a brilliant model maker. For a ship modeler the masts on the Black Seas ships are left wanting. So he went and scratch built masts using wire on one of his models. If I could afford it I would just buy models from him!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2019, 06:17:04 AM »
Terrific job! Wish I have the money to buy his models!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
Yeah Julian is a brilliant model maker. For a ship modeler the masts on the Black Seas ships are left wanting. So he went and scratch built masts using wire on one of his models. If I could afford it I would just buy models from him!

That frigate sold for 225 euros.  :o

Here is his website where he sells his ships: http://modeljship.com/en/

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
That frigate sold for 225 euros.  :o

Here is his website where he sells his ships: http://modeljship.com/en/

I have seen it. I play Sails of Glory and he frequently posts his work on that forum using the 1/1000 Ares models.