Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Spoils (Terrain Project)  (Read 7689 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: The Spoils (Terrain Project)
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
Yeah, I've tried playing with magnets at times, but frankly I think they are always fiddly and the "what" they solve is rarely worth that effort. Maybe if I intended to play games onboard a ship at sea, or I've heard people talk about magnetizing bases of figures for transportation. I don't take my figures anywhere, and the few times I have I really didn't see the problem with foam inserts protecting figures just fine. So my overall thought on magnets is that they are a neat idea, but really not important overall.

Cork seems like it would have more surface friction (less slide) than plastic sheet, or even cardboard. I don't have an issue with either of those things sliding around a lot, so I'd think the cork would be more than fine. No matter what you do I think there will always be the occasional clumsy bumping of terrain, but it isn't the end of the world.

Did the second pour shrink less?

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »
"Yeah, I've tried playing with magnets at times, but frankly I think they are always fiddly and the "what" they solve is rarely worth that effort. "

I like the idea of being able to reconfigure the layout on a whim - lego-like if you will - but ultimately the variability or adaptability of my terrain isn't the thing that is holding me back from engaging in more games.  It's just one of those things that I may pursue on the side.
"Maybe if I intended to play games onboard a ship at sea, or I've heard people talk about magnetizing bases of figures for transportation."

I regularly play at a pub just down the road from me, so being able to transport stuff has its merits in my situation.  Magnetised bases for my minis is way less fussy than having form inserts - I've got a few different sized metal-based transport boxes/cases and I can quickly collate and transport what I need on-demand.  I like to be able to do the same with my terrain - making the terrain collapsable just makes it that bit easier to pack into a smaller box etc.  Again, first world problems.

Did the second pour shrink less?
Yes, it seemed to work pretty well.  There is a bit of shrinkage but well within tolerances.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get my desk quite level, so the resin hasn't consistently spread across the board, but in the scheme of things, it's hardly an issue.  Oh yeah, apparently cat hair is still a thing in the year 40,000  :-[

The resin is WAY reflective, as is evident in the video.  It's also expensive - at this price point, it will remain a hobby splurge rather than a staple - so I am going to have to track down cheaper alternatives if I want to do some more.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 02:09:19 PM »
I think the resin looks good. Does it ever reach an elastic state where you could work some ripples into the surface?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
I love your stuff! Everything is so organic looking

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
I think the resin looks good. Does it ever reach an elastic state where you could work some ripples into the surface?

I suspect that it might.  As it sets, it becomes increasingly inelastic, so that there is likely some small window of opportunity where you could manipulate the surface.

I watched a YouTube with someone using a heat gun and flame gun on their resin.  It looked like it could create ripples as well.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2019, 11:21:09 PM »
I suspect that it might.  As it sets, it becomes increasingly inelastic, so that there is likely some small window of opportunity where you could manipulate the surface.
I watched a YouTube with someone using a heat gun and flame gun on their resin.  It looked like it could create ripples as well.
Why reinvent the wheel?  Blob two part epoxy resin on the surface and agitate with a popsicle stick until it starts to set.  Here is an example of mine. 
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3O4lHuGOiUk/XVrU1XEr4DI/AAAAAAAACDk/kfR-kIpYM8YexL6JTDYO74lh3MpSj3kXACLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_0835.jpg
Full technique here.
https://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
It is an easier solution that will not damage the surface. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2019, 01:56:41 AM »
Oh yeah, apparently cat hair is still a thing in the year 40,000

Cat hair, especially long hairs, used together deliberately, can be amazing foliage. 
WHISKERS are quite handy for antennae, think personal or vehicular gear.  Or insectoid monsters!!

Valerik

"Dancin' Truth's gossamer tightrope"
HPF
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:58:38 AM by Valerik »
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2019, 07:00:18 AM »
Why reinvent the wheel?  Blob two part epoxy resin on the surface and agitate with a popsicle stick until it starts to set.
Damn you with your sensible, flameless solutions!  I am yet to find a problem that can't be solved with flame!  :-[
Here is an example of mine... Full technique here... It is an easier solution that will not damage the surface.
I am confused.  When does one set fire to it?  Mmm...  I may have to reconsider my options some...

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2019, 07:02:45 AM »
Cat hair, especially long hairs, used together deliberately, can be amazing foliage.  WHISKERS are quite handy for antennae, think personal or vehicular gear.  Or insectoid monsters!!
Mmm... I have suddenly seen my cat in an altogether more useful light - now where did I leave my scissors?

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2019, 06:49:06 AM »
I finally got my Sump Dock entry complete and am looking forward to playing on it next year 😁

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
Nice scenery,very evocative!
In regards to ripples et cetera on your resin pour; you can use Vallejo water effects (AK Interactive and MIG Ammo do similar stuff too). You can see its use(a little bit) in my last years Build Something entry.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
So the next Necromunda Terrain Build Challenge has been set and I've gotten this far to date.  It was pretty quick and easy to get to this point, now I am looking at how to incorporate some gantries on the trunk's body... nothing like a theme to spark the innovation fuse i say.

I am keeping something of a build log on my blog - it's just a draft ATM as I've been flat out with real life demands as of late.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
Now the new improved Power Station with gantries and all manner of pipes, ladders and shite.  Next: painting!

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:02 AM »
So how the movest recent build integrates with the rest of my terrain... this quick vid gives you a sense of how the various elements hang together.  The Tonksche Station (thanks FB Friends) is now fully painted and includes lots of little bits of detail that bring it to life - I'll likely do a more detailed write-up on my Blog in due course with more pics etc.

We were intending to use this in our Melbourne Australia Little Wars game in a couple of month's time, however with the recent C-19 restrictions coming into effect, that now looks unlikely.  With mandatory isolation in effect, I may have to turn my mind to rescuing my solo game design project(s) and see if I can record a game with these various 'Spoils' terrain pieces in play.