Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67266 times)

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
In 28mm or smaller you might as well just paint the pattern '37 most figures are made with. Leather colours with the exception of the pack and water bottle. Which remain what ever shade of dubbing you prefer.

Blanco on webbing and Dubbin on leather surely? 

Brilliant project BTW. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Not on the leather . Just the fabric components.

Here's a couple of pictures to clarify.
The image of the Foresters in pattern 39. Show's that at first glance if you didn't know its a leather set you'd automatically assume its fabric '37.
So If you apply that assumption in reverse to your 28mm pattern 37 . You can paint it to look like the leather pattern 39.  Which is why there's no real reason to sculpt 39 as no one is realistically going to be able to spot the difference on a 28mm sculpt sat on your table.Until you add some colour.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Great info

That helmet looks very light in that photo have been doing some reading up on webbing and helmets and there seems to be 5 or 6 different opinions on helmets in 39-40 varying from Pea Green to Bronze green and several shades of light and dark brown.

Did every Tommy paint his own?  lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Oh there's more  ::)
Your not far off the mark with individuals painting their own . Paint colours and consistency are iffy as sin. You've logistics verses improvisation combined with in house wisdom . Often you'd get stuck with a less than matt finish. So other known to be matt tins of paint would be mixed in .With the hope it'd dull down the shine. The same was done with sand or grit . If I remember rightly a Home guard unit  improvised with brick dust and concrete to matt and texture an oddment of paint. I've no Idea how well it stuck to the helmets(It's not a fifty fifty mix just a handful to dirty the paint) or how it effective it was.
 Here's a couple of stills from a period colour film.
Again with bits and bob's hybrid riggs. It's worth noting the gas mask carriers .A nice change from thr usual khaki.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Beaverette mk2. ( Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.) 25/08
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »
I quite casually commented in another thread on scratch building a 1/48 Beaverette. That I'd made several over the years. Including a Master for The HomeFront range. As it's one Simon and Mick are always getting nagged for me to add to the range.
It wasn't until now as I'm sat up enjoying about of insomnia and merrily deleting work photos I don't need. Including the Beaverette one's. It dawned on me ..
That I hadnt actually posted any pics on here.Or Even mentioned to Simon and Mick it's done  ;D
Okay it didn't actually sink in until the last photo.

This one will have to do for now as it's all packed up in the master pile/ box. For the range.Which is steadily filling up again for when I've enough spare time to drop them off with Sinon and Mick.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:25 AM »
Nice work Mark. Will be popular I'm sure.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »
Like the Tilly  :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2020, 09:55:42 AM »
They better. Since I had to make twelve figures and three weapon systems just to cover the basics . lol
There's two versions on the Tilly. Civillian wheels and cab roof.The military version with the wheel on the cab roof and the heavy tires .Both have the canvas roof stowed .Both use the metal windscreen , head light's, and wing mirrors. Of the existing staff and saloon cars.

The Beaverette has two crews both Civillian and military(as does the Tilly.) There's a Boys mk1, a Bren mk1, and a Lewis Home Guard varriant.
It took quite a chunk of my spare time to fit it all in. So it was bagged and boxed asap. Just so I could crack on with the list.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
They better. Since I had to make twelve figures and three weapon systems just to cover the basics . lol
There's two versions on the Tilly. Civillian wheels and cab roof.The military version with the wheel on the cab roof and the heavy tires .Both have the canvas roof stowed .Both use the metal windscreen , head light's, and wing mirrors. Of the existing staff and saloon cars.

The Beaverette has two crews both Civillian and military(as does the Tilly.) There's a Boys mk1, a Bren mk1, and a Lewis Home Guard varriant.
It took quite a chunk of my spare time to fit it all in. So it was bagged and boxed asap. Just so I could crack on with the list.
Well even more vehicles and figures to buy  :)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
I was wondering if there was any updates  :) Thanks

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
 Hi, I'm late to this thread. Lovely looking models. Are they available to buy commercially? If so who from?

Regards

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
Hi, I'm late to this thread. Lovely looking models. Are they available to buy commercially? If so who from?

Ist Corps under 20th C Follies Home Front?

Regards
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:11:06 PM by Truscott Trotter »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
SJWi,
Cheers . As already mentioned most sculpts on here will end up with Simon and Mick at 1st Corps. Infact everything up to me writing this. Is already with 1st Corps miniatures. As for release dates I'm non the Wiser as it's upto Simon and Mick.

I'll post a few more pictures of some of the next batch soon. As I'm a little busy with a couple of illustrations . plus Mexicans on Mopeds are nibbling at my sculpting time( it's a Dag's thing apparently).

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2020, 05:44:00 AM »
Thanks,  my 1940 collection is quite old hasn't been augmented for some time.  I'll check out the 1st Corps website.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Early Morris CS8 ( Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.) 17/10
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
Quick update
Still needs a little tweaking but it's nearly done.Theres also Motley mount with both a Lewis version and a Bren.Theyre prepped for casting.