Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690621
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 68385 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Farm house' 1st farm tile finished(Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:23 PM »
Stonking :)

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
Just looked through your posts and they are a real inspiration, also with the publication of the Bad Squiddo Home Front Rules I have decided to adapt my BEF force so it can be used as a Home Guard force as well, luckily I don't have to spend too much to do that as I already have a number of Empress Minis which are suitable. Just got to put in a couple of orders to 1st Corps and Bad Squiddo Games and I will be set.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
These are windows I prefer to use for commissions There £2.50 for a sheet of  24. You can get them in O gauge as well as the HO, I prefer to use.
The useful thing about them is the come with a glazing sheet . I use two back to back with glass between the two card window frames. Which makes building interiors a doddle.

I ordered a set of five fruit trees. To use for the orchard. They're a lot darker than expected.So they'll need tweaking .( that'll teach me to try and save time and money . short cuts are never short when your being clever with yourself. ::) )
Was suprized when I open the box as it's that thin. I actually thought when I it arrived. 'When did I order more grass tufts ??? '
Burt,
I do have an easy and cheap way to make concrete road block, pillboxs, and emplacements.That you can make just from recycling.( yep it's the obligatory cereal packet card and or thicker card if you've got it.)
If it's an idea that interest you I could do a tutorial. Although it wouldn't be before the end of the month. Which would give you time to gather up some card. Also pick the type of emplacement you'd like as the example in the tutorial.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
Could you not lighten them?  Air brush?   

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »
Just looked through your posts and they are a real inspiration, also with the publication of the Bad Squiddo Home Front Rules I have decided to adapt my BEF force so it can be used as a Home Guard force as well, luckily I don't have to spend too much to do that as I already have a number of Empress Minis which are suitable. Just got to put in a couple of orders to 1st Corps and Bad Squiddo Games and I will be set.
My Bad Squiddo and 1st Corps fit in nicely together however my Empress ones are slightly smaller but I tend not to mix them in the same unit.
Overall all three ranges are excellent.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »
Ewan, the 1st Corps figures do look rather stocky compared with Empress, I think I will  have to think again what I need to put a force together.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »
Burt .
Those specific figures are a sort of anomaly .As they're all representations of real people all of which are ridiculously over six foot and fan's of their food (these all have replacements to be released at some point As its been lost in translation since there release.). All of the figures have exactly the same weapons and equipment. It's standardized across the range.(as in life.) So they're kit and weapons look silly and small. But the frame of reference is there with in the rest of the range.
Sorry you can't really see the motorcycle troops that well as I've undercoated them and then promptly dropped them.
The Yeomanry are more in line with others on the market

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2021, 05:03:04 PM »
Thanks, the figures are great and look very characterful, just wasn't sure how they would fit with my Empress Minis.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »
Thanks, the figures are great and look very characterful, just wasn't sure how they would fit with my Empress Minis.
When they are on the table you don’t really notice the difference.
To prove Mark’s point this photo from the Irish War of Independence shows clearly the difference in size of soldiers and civilians.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
When they are on the table you don’t really notice the difference.
To prove Mark’s point this photo from the Irish War of Independence shows clearly the difference in size of soldiers and civilians.
I think the soldier on the left is an old 25mm whereas the corporal on the right must be 30mm  :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Burt,
 I did visual experimentation/ proof of concept . For Partizan a while back. Just to prove how preprogrammed we as gamer's are.
(Couldn't find the original concept 6'6" figure but this one still gives roughly the same visual result.)

All the equipment is the same size on both figures. Both figures are in exactly the same scale and proportions.
They're done just show how different items change the visual proportions such as the chins strap closing in the face. (Although taller figures head is a character and slightly heading in the bobble head direction. As the intention for the bigger figure was a more comical Home Guard set. Where as the range thats sprung up from the original idea is more gaming friendly.)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:33:46 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2021, 11:18:34 PM »
Recently I've been commenting on Digits rather wonderful thread and Avoiding adding to the farm tiles. (Mainly because I'm still waiting on some new flock and foliage mixes.)
So rather than rambling on and risk highjacking his thread I thought I'd prattle on in the right place.

First musing I really must make a train for my raised tracks.
Already have an Armoured train. Digits has some interesting pictures of 3d print renders on his thread.
However it's more than likely I'll end up scratch building a locomotive from cereal packet card . As I know from doing the loco in the picture that I can knock up the body work in an evening. Wheels aren't an issue as you can knock them up with out a compass . Time consuming but easy enough. Second opinion is to get hold of several larger HO scale wheels and re scale .
Next musing a bridge and a river.More probably a canal for speed and to make the raised banks connection to the table in a more plausible way. As many canals and rivers in my area have raised banks to guard against flooding.
For my personal preference. I find it much easier to build the river to fit the bridge than to make the bridge fit the river.
As for the bridge I've mused an procrastinated for an ice age
Between Box girder, Suspension, and Stone.
But having mentioned in Digits thread my two main contenders. I realized it was B.S.. I didn't want either( thats the reason it kept getting pur on a back burner.)
I was more drawn to this premade box girder bridge. In mentioning it need tweaking .I dawn on me it was the right starting point but tweaking was an understatement.
Because what I really want to build is a Scherzer Rolling lift bridge.Not like Pegasus .
But like the one in the Photo .Hull has three of them built between 1930 and 1939. Sutton rd being the most plausible as it cross the river at a point thats similar in width to a table top river.Im not sure its even as wide as a public swimming pool( narrow boats are 6'10" wide). But still navigable.(if you avoid the spawning shopping trolleys)

Next musing I need a small railway station. Also a gated level crossing. I've an experiment with a diecast level crossing planned( waiting on its arrival) I was originally going to scratch build one, Then use mdf gates. But it turns out (if it works) it's way cheaper to pick up a vintage die cast HO one than purchase a plastic kit version.
As it's die cast .Im working on the assumption that its very unlikely to be 1\72-1/76 more likely nearer 1/60. But it could just as easily be 1/87  ::) hense the musing.
It literally only has to look okay in comparison with a based figure.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:34:17 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Musings on finishing railway and bridges(Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
I'll be interested to see what you do for the river/canal, been thinking about making one for myself but can't decide what I want it to actually be for. Your crossing if it's Hornby dubloo like the file says should be about 1/87-ish, but the way they measured the accessories all bets are off. ;D

Also get on with it, might inspire me to do more with my own train scenery. :)
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2021, 09:54:02 AM »
Being able to choose between scratching one or buying one with your skills?  Scratch every time fella!

Either way, looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
As I only paid £1.49 for the crossing its no great loss if it doesn't work.
Plan B is to take the gates off the base add a kick board skirt and a faux additional rail  to them and use the on the existing crossing in the pictures.

Got a little hopeful today thinking the bits to finish the farm has arrived . Turns out I'd bought a box of second hand trees.( don't recall doing that all. Definitely should surf eBay whilst home schooling. lol)

I think I'll probably end up scratch building an Engine( if nothing else It'll be unique.) Soundest option would be to use. HO wheels just for durability. Mind you the track I've done so far is just card. But somewhere in my workshop is a carrier bag full of plastic track. Which will probably end up at a similar height to Digits track rather than on an embankment.
I'll end up making a crew set for the engine as well. I know I've joked about sculpting an Ivor the engine themed crew. But I'm more likely to head off in the Will Haye direction.

I came across these railings set on eBay. Which might prove useful to finish the Water tower base .
They're ment to represent 6' iorn railings for HO railways .As they stand 24mm tall .I sure they'll work on a low wall between brick pillars in 28mm.
They come in at roughly £6.60 including p&p for 1.5 metres.
There's also a set of wooden fence panels with posts and rails.that are 5' tall in HO , 20mm tall and 1.5 metres worth for roughly £6. Which will make an above the waist fence in 28mm. Not actually bought any yet but it's something that might prove useful.

As for canal and river construction .There's two really simple method .
Clear Acrylic sheet. Cut to size a shape .Paint,air brush, or spray paint your river colours on the reverse side. Then just plonk your premade banks on top.( a bit over simplified but you get the idea.)

The others the toilet paper and high gloss varnish ( at least five coats.) There's quite a few tutorials on YouTube.