Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67217 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( tabletop progress pictures 08/04)
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
Nice work.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2020, 10:38:18 PM »
Number four son got it right and the old man got it wrong ::)(I shook the excess foliage off,and instantly regretted it. So I'll have to glue some more on tomorrow.)
As for the buildings there's a mix of heavily converted  HO Metcalfe card buildings(the factory great kit for the money as you can usually pick it up for around the £12 mark.)
Mdf for the front of the terraced row( whole back and yards are card) and the front of the unfinished green building( the sides and mouldings are card.)
The garage and Chippy are completely made of cereal packet.
The church is a hefty conversion of a £12 mdf church . The roof is paper decorating masking tape as is the one on the garage,and the signal box which is virtually a straight Sarissa build.(the kit was a gift from a friend who thought it'd be funny as I didn't have a railway.)
The interior of the church is all cereal packet card.(I think I did a thread on the build?) But here's a couple of interior shots .)

Oh the railway track is cereal packet too. ;)

The colours are balancing out quite nicely at the moment. I just need to make two more legnths of terrace house's to do for this side of the town . Then a railway station. It's really going to be quite lengthy project.
Forgot there's a farm complex that just needs painting to go on the rural side of the track.

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2020, 02:06:11 AM »
Terrific .... more! 👍😬

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2020, 05:12:04 AM »
So much character in these buildings.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2020, 03:37:11 PM »
Here's a little break from buildings.
I had some down time this afternoon for a quick experiment.
Way way back I picked up four Dinky Daimler Armoured cars.(one of those EBay oddball situations were everyone is scrapping over a single item and not noticed the buy it now thats a bargain.. four for £10 free p&p )To see if they'd tweak for a skirmish game.
This one has had its barrel replaced with a nail at some point in it's life.So it doesn't fit with the other three.
So rather than let it gather dust. It's become an exercise in using a toy as a dummy tank.
Rather than loose time looking up the shading net for the original dummy vehicle. A quick option was to just roughly shade the existing detail and use a bold highlight so the colours look artificial. To imply its not a real vehicle and a couple of pieces of wire as supports.
After all that . I'm not a 100% convinced by the end result. It's functional but not quite right. But since it's all recycled painted bits. It's not really cost anything or much more than an hour to put together. So it's still a win.

I'm planning on doing the original musing of raising the axle height .To see is if it's enough to 're scale' the car.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( quick musing 09/04)
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
Awesome
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »
Looks great :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2020, 05:25:21 PM »
Here's a little break from buildings.
I had some down time this afternoon for a quick experiment.
Way way back I picked up four Dinky Daimler Armoured cars.(one of those EBay oddball situations were everyone is scrapping over a single item and not noticed the buy it now thats a bargain.. four for £10 free p&p )To see if they'd tweak for a skirmish game.
This one has had its barrel replaced with a nail at some point in it's life.So it doesn't fit with the other three.
So rather than let it gather dust. It's become an exercise in using a toy as a dummy tank.
Rather than loose time looking up the shading net for the original dummy vehicle. A quick option was to just roughly shade the existing detail and use a bold highlight so the colours look artificial. To imply its not a real vehicle and a couple of pieces of wire as supports.
After all that . I'm not a 100% convinced by the end result. It's functional but not quite right. But since it's all recycled painted bits. It's not really cost anything or much more than an hour to put together. So it's still a win.

I'm planning on doing the original musing of raising the axle height .To see is if it's enough to 're scale' the car.
Interesting idea.

For a comparison of the Warlord one and the Dinky one have look here:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/01/dinky-daimler-armoured-car.html

I like the Scarecrow soldiers.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2020, 01:46:06 AM »
What an awesome trip through your build...thanks for sharing!  Great work and inspiration too.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
Really love the idea of taking that Dinky and making the dummy tank. Personally I think it looks fantastic and works perfectly.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2020, 06:15:17 PM »
 :o :-* :o :-* : :o
Stunning! Simply stunning! Would love to have a game on that table... and if you’re still not lucky with your mock up armoured car, just send it to me. I'll happily bin it for you  :D

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2020, 02:07:43 AM »
It’s all been said .... I will sound like an echo but .... stunning !

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
Thank you one and all.Your proving quite the motivation.
As Ewan knows I lost virtually all of the first attempts at this table to water damage and damp. Some of the this 'table' is rescued from the original
I gave Ewan the original Hotel tile to be fair it need a damned good airing as it had a heavy smell of damp. Even though it was mould free.
The farm building tile that's about to be beaten into submission had a wonderful layer of green mould on the raw mdf . As did a Sarissa Roman template.
But a little mould treatment and we're back on track if now with the faintest wiff of bleach lol

UVS.
It was your comparison pictures that got me musing on the use for old and knackered Dinky toys .In all honesty I'd forgotten it was your pictures. So I went on the hunt to the author to modify my post.
But was unable too as the forum kept coming up as being down.
When I finally got back on . You'd beaten me to the punch.

I've another musing on the Daimler ' dummy tank' to try .Inspired by original photographs and Sabot's
Pantomime cow.So I'll try and fit it in over the weekend.

Mark.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
That is really amazing, I love it!  :-* :-* :-*

I'm really impressed, thinking about what I can steal  :D

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
The Dinky Daimler is 1/60 scale Mark.  I have the Bandai model in 1/48 and the size difference is really noticeable so don't know how successful trying to fudge it might be...obviously the Warlord 1/56 one would be a better bet.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt