Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67169 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Exodus' wip update 14/07( Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
1/48 th ?

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »
Wow have been looking for 28mm refugees for my CoC markers - might not matter that they are 1/48th
I do not own any, but to my knowledge the figures are 28mm not 1/48, the vehicles are 1/48.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2020, 11:42:33 PM »
Just going by the Russians I got from them- well padded - even their helmets!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Here's a couple of pictures of the figure height variations in the Yeomanry figures.
The original home guard do vairy slightly more as some are around 32mm tall. As some of the volunteers a lanky individuals. You can easily mix them in with the new figures as they're all made with the same size webbing helmets and weapons. As in real life kit looks small on big blokes and the smallest chaps tend to look overwhelmed, by the same kit.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
They do excellent, out of curiosity what is the figure in the bottom picture doing/holding. Thanks

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
It's a universal vehicle gunner. Designed to hold any weapon system that has a stock and pistol grip.
In this case a Lewis, Bren, or an anti tank rifle.In theory it could work for mg 42's and so on.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
Perfect, he has become even more useful  :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Even more so as I'll be doing a civilian copy of this pose. ;)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
An excavated spigot mortar position:

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
In what way do the Yeomanry figures differ from regular BEF units ?
Thanks
JM

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
It's an interesting topic in of it's self.
There's this strange misconception that the BEF in its entirety was kitted out in pattern 38. It's simply not true there's an amalgamation of earlier patterns of webbing especially in the Yeomanry regiments.(Although some Did get full 38.)
This pic if I remember rightly is one of the Scottish Yeomanry regiments in '39 prior to , and only just before deployment in France.
There's a tendency for hybrid yokes and pouch combinations amongst these units .Even more so as you take into account the majority of Yeomanry units are mechanized ,signals,and artillery.
Even more so on home service after Dunkirk. If you take a look at the Surrey Yeomanry. For a while they charged around with domestic commercial vehicles ,an old Rolls Royce armoured car. An obsolete 6 pndr. And a 1913. 13 pndr(ww1 version)
Also many of the East Yorkshire Yeomanry volunteered for the LRDG.
 Making their slightly quirky approach to the military way of life ideal for what I have in mind.

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
Very interesting - thanks.
Any chance of a crew for the spigot mortar ?
JM

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
In what way do the Yeomanry figures differ from regular BEF units ?
Thanks
JM

Without wanting to hijack Mark's thread, the best place to look for British webbing info is Karkee Web (http://www.karkeeweb.com/)
To make up shortfalls in 37 pattern webbing, 1908 pattern had modified 37 Bren pouches and other items manufactured to fit it.  The Royal Marines and most territorial units went to war in 1939-40 in Norway and other places wearing 1908 pattern webbing, and some even had the old Service Dress instead of battledress.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
 lol such a twit,
That'll teach me to type halfway down a bottle.( it was a very hot day so a justification for a libation   ::) )
Vodkafan is totally right Pattern '37.
Then you've the leather version of it pattern 39.Which is sort of a post Dunkirk issue so more of a homefront / training rig as to allow the '08 & '37 to be issued to active units
Both full '08 & '08/'37 hybrids were still in use for Dday.
There's not really much point sculpting the '39 pattern as it was issued with either the '08 great pack or the '37 pattern pack.
In 28mm or smaller you might as well just paint the pattern '37 most figures are made with. Leather colours with the exception of the pack and water bottle. Which remain what ever shade of dubbing you prefer.

Yep there's a crew.