Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67183 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( Farm WIP.)
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2021, 01:15:30 AM »
Those buildings look great, the small logshed in particular. I always struggle with the dimensions for doors, can't deicde if to make them a head taller than 28m figures, or just to barely fit a figure. Apart from that, very charming figures in the preceding posts! Might have to get some of the displaced persons/ refugees.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
Mark,

Are these for release from 1st Corp? Or are they for your personal project?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »
Both, technically you've Ewan to thank for the Yeomanry as he asked me to do more. At the moment there's four mount Yeomanry figures at 1st Corps for release ( no Idea why I haven't photographed the 4th.) If they go well then I'll do another four and a command.
For me personally I only need a couple as fast moving scouts . Rather than just the motorcycles( I've made a fair few so I just wanted something that wasn't a motorcycle.)
The snipers are also off with Simon and Mick.
They are working through the releases(I did give them a lot) They've released the 'Tillies'.
You can tell from the pictures that lads are still a rushed off their feet. The rear cab panel tab is still in place.The windscreen isn't on the cab( it's the same as the Homefront staff car.)and the tarp is laying down rather than standing against the cab.Which is why the civilian gunner appears to have iorn wrists.
But you can still see they're a fun addition as a period technical Once the mount with the Morris CS8 is cast.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( quick update.22/01)
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2021, 01:31:36 AM »
Thanks for the answer Mark. And THANK YOU EWAN for the cavalry!  :D

I saw the Tillies this week. Wonderful work on those. They're on my "list" (which gets longer by the minute).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( started throwing paint at the Farm board(WIP)
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »
Starting to get some where with this one still way too much to do.

(What does stand out even more to me now it's go some paint on it. Is the child like design of this Mdf house and in fact many on the market . the Windows just aren't well proportioned . Giving you a product that's a 3d version of a Pepper Pig House. ::) )

I've still some tidying up to as a little over enthusiastic application on white paint seagull poop and a badly wiped line of paint need adjusting.I was using pictures of a farm on the east coast as a reference . It turns out that level of seagull abuse doesn't translate as well as I thought it would merrily plonking on paint at one in the morning. lol

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:19:48 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( Farm House painted(outside still a WIP)
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »
Added the veg garden this afternoon. The veg still needs tweaking as it's too bright.. But it's a little too cold to set the 'flock' with spray varnish. With out risking it going milky instead of clear. So it'll be a while before I can shade and highlighting the veg.
Just the inside to do.  :?

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( Farm House painted(outside still a WIP)
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
Those turned out amazing!  :o

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Farm house' 1st farm tile finished(Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2021, 10:03:59 AM »
Here's board number one.( hopefully) as I've gone back and tweaked it a little further . In the vain hope of distracting from that Pepper Pig feel of the original building. It's still a little off for my personal sensibilities. But it's not as wounding to look at now .In theory it should be less of a sore thumb with every tile I make/ add.
Main bug bear is that I'd over estimated the camouflage of painting and not left enough room to add a full porch on both sides of the house.Not so bothered that its sagged slightly whilst drying over night. ::)

The tricky bit in the whole farm project is orientation. As each tile will orientate to the others on all four sides. As to allow them to be set up in several different ways using all the farm tiles or just a couple.

That as pompous paragraph lol what I mean is the type of farm in the East Riding . Has its orientation defined by its relationship with it's access road.
If the farm is in or near a village then the Farm house's tend to be orientated to face the road.With the farm buildings running Parrallel to the road. If the farms not close to a village the house tends to orientate to the farm yard and Parrallel to the road. Depending on the hill or slope the house will face the road or away from the road depending on whether the road is to the rear of the farm in relation to the slope. Farm house of this period and pretty much in general don't have the live stock or animals housed to the rear of the farm house on a slope only in front or to aside.( on account of gravity and fluids. ;) )
Then of course you get farms with road/track running merrily through the middle of it. Then they tend to take on a more hamlet nature and orientate with the road.
So in short I'm building a farm in a series of tiles that will be able to replicate the orientation of several different types of styles of farm and more importantly their relationship with the landscape. Without building more than one farm.

Yep it's sounds convoluted. For me environmental mapping is an important tool ( a hang up a previous life where I had a rough paper round  ;. ) I think it's a very much over looked and neglected area. In terms of gaming. If you spend some time arranging your buildings so they relates to the terrain naturally then you'll get a much more varried and interesting game. Simply by taking into account how a heavily plowed field is a tactical advantage in defense. Or cow's are the natural enemy of concealment.( you really cant hide from a herd of cow's once one spots you the just come over and stare right at you.)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #308 on: January 31, 2021, 12:41:19 PM »
That looks terrific. Really nice work, I don't know why you were complaining about the farmhouse.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2021, 05:26:47 PM »
Some very nice detail on that
liking the pigeon loft

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2021, 08:05:07 PM »
Lovely looking building now you’ve added your spin on it...love the foliage and garden .

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:32 PM »
 "For me environmental mapping is an important tool ( a hang up a previous life where I had a rough paper round  ;. ) I think it's a very much over looked and neglected area. In terms of gaming. If you spend some time arranging your buildings so they relates to the terrain naturally then you'll get a much more varried and interesting game. Simply by taking into account how a heavily plowed field is a tactical advantage in defense. Or cow's are the natural enemy of concealment.( you really cant hide from a herd of cow's once one spots you the just come over and stare right at you.)"

Wise words indeed. I try and keep similar in mind when laying out or designing a table.
Much more fun to deal with real life terrain problems than the 6-12" blob 8" apart tables you often see.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2021, 12:01:27 AM »
Haha, yes those window panes are huge :)
Having lived on two farms,even if they’re here in Oz,dead right! One from the mid 19th century ( Throsby Park,Google it,fascinating place),and late 19th early 20th,ridiculous compared to the age of British farm houses,old for us colonials lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2021, 01:14:51 AM »
As usual, your details take the buildings to the next level. I love the dovecote and garden  :-*
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »
Shahbahraz.
It's just not a good kit. Putting aside the terrible fit. In one end of the apex it had a round window (It didn't have a window frame in my kit .As mentioned all three kits were sealed and incomplete. So no idea if it was ment to have one.) But it made the kit even more toy like infact it was so large it looked like a bird house.
So I covered the whole end in a thin piece of card. Then to distract from the area one end is partially obscured buy a recycled birch tree model.The other with the Dove cote , which is loosely based on an edwardian in the Dales.
The reason I've battled with the kit rather than bin it. Is because it was a gift. I would rather scratch built the farm house. If time allows I'll scratch build a row of workers cottages.( in the middle of a Chinese junk and that has priority on my evenings)

Trotter.
I've seen so many pretty games where people insist on accurate colour schemes. At the same time as having magical LOS and fields of fire that go through brick walls just because the house is ' occupied' . Or a full platoon HMG's and all suddenly be revealed because one Recce jeep roled through a farm. When only a section is facing the road.
In reality the jeep would simply disappear . Then you'd know it's occupied and you'd have to go in force to find out just whats there. Or sit and wait on obb's till you could figure it out.No one gives away a positions full strength just deal with a blind probe.
Blackwolf
There's a useful pdf on English heritage .org (If I remember correctly)that discusses preservation and decline of period correct windows.
It's one of those obscure pieces I've had to read ovetr the years .But there's plenty of information for many periods on there.

Digits,
 I'd noticed your thread on a garden. You just posted on here before I posted on yours.I do know a couple of quick tricks and trips to use for things like leaks, turnips if its of any use

Lon
Here's a quick the quick sketch to plan the farm boards . Theres no magical detail or arty stuff . Just enough of a musing to get to yep that'll work.