Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67179 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Downed Pilot musing no.2.. (Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #435 on: October 01, 2021, 04:43:14 PM »
I think will indeed add that to the mix.  :D
As  children are already part of another set.( which could in theory be mixed in with this set. To make a more interesting vignette.)
Cheers.
Mark.

Can’t wait  :D :D

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Quick update (Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2022, 08:27:41 PM »
As it says a quick update.  Simon picked up alot of the 'green's ' shown on here.Just before Christmas. I'm trying to find enough spare time to paint up a pair of early pattern Morris CS8's.  ( which are now released. )
Simon and Mick have just added two more set from the  backlog to Homefront range. With more apparently due next. Week.
I've not had time to update my thread on things of late.As I've been grinding through a series of truely tedious and painful museum projects overseen by equally obnoxious individuals.
Who place you on par with indebted servitude. So rather than face something Historical I've been relaxing with some fantasy stuff.( it's just nice to know noone can tell its wrong  lol )
But just to show I've not totally given up there's a couple of hints on what's being added soon.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2022, 02:09:15 AM »
Love those observers and if I didn't already have a HG force, the rest would be on my list as well.

Just wish the vehicles were in 1/56 but 3D printing does that for me.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2022, 08:30:27 AM »
I know there's more due out that'll tempt you  ;)

As for vehicle scale Simon and Micks tanks and new vehicles are 1/48.As they're  Digital sculpts.  The Follies and Homefront are Anolog as the majority of releases of vehicles so far have been civilian and are sculpted in 28mm (6mm to a foot +/- moulding and casting prefered thickness) They've all been collectively class as 1/48 by magazine articles to the point there's no point trying to correct it as people have decided they are 1/48 and I must be mistaken  ::) Which is odd as they're scaled in exactly the same way as the WW1 vehicle range and no one claims they're 1/48( The Rolls Royce is 2mm longer and 2.5mm taller than the Copplestone one. It just has more sausage finger friendly details)
If you wanted to be pedantic they're nearer 1/48 than 1/56. And nearer 1/50 than 1/48.
Which isn't an issue as these ranges will be 99% soft skins and civilian vehicles. So they visually sit well with the 1/48 tanks.
Just let me know which one's you were in two minds about and I'll list their dimensions.

That said the CS8 is probably is all but 1/48  lol
As it's 28.5mm tall from floor to the top of the side panels. Simply so once miniatures are based the vehicle is at the correct chest height. Otherwise it'd be nearer waste height. Which would bugger up your cover and LOS claims in game.

While I'm waffling there is a sandbag revetment with another set that would work the Observer's. I think I might have taken a picture of it before it was boxed up if your interested.
The figures in the bottom picture are from similar sized sets to the rollerskating home guard. They'll probably end up in the Follies range as they're period accurate but unlikely to fit mist people's ww2 games. One's from the shore/raiding party and the other from an early war downed Bomber crew with a Vickers K as a section weapon ( just for ease of stats for people's rule choices. )

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »
The Home Guard Observation Team is absolutely amazing  :-*

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #440 on: January 21, 2022, 06:59:53 AM »
Lovely work Mark. Very nice sets.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #441 on: January 21, 2022, 07:39:32 AM »
So Mark, I get the one man bomb shelter…(though I’d hate to be in one if a bomb went off next to it…….you’d surely loose your eardrums for starters!)…..but, what may I ask is the swimming pool next to it?  :D

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #442 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:54 AM »
It's an auxiliary water supply. There's simply too many variations on this concept to try and represent them all. I chose to make the slightly smaller diameter and deeper version than the one in the picture, just to keep it a usefulsize on a table. The 'pool ladder' looking structure isn't a ladder at all .It's  actually a suppot and access point for the fire hose's. The idea behind it is as the water level drops the weight of the water filled hose's doesn't collapse the side of the pool.
These were placed where ever possible  to provide Fire fighters an alternative water supply .Roughly  every couple of street in areas where there was limited access to water (no rivers ,ponds ,etc) or more commonly where the was no mains water. The actual distance between these supplies is a combination of location and the needs/ limitations of the auxiliary fire units.
They also turn up on campaigns as water storage site's .
So the make an  interesting way to bugger up movement at the end of a street or  LoS in field.
This along with the fire fighter's, auxiliary pump and rubble sections are a colourful way to hamper movement on a table.
Or even just to add a little more storytelling to a table set up.
(Especially if you add in the refugees ,car ,and carts.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:21:32 AM by tin shed gamer »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #443 on: January 21, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »
Ha!  Brilliant!   I have never seen one of these before so thanks for the heads up.    I wasn’t a million miles away! Lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #444 on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:25 PM »
Interesting bits of kit. The Auxiliary Water Supply is an interesting choice, there would be the temptation to have some swimmers in it (knitted swimming costumes would be in period ^__^).
So Mark, I get the one man bomb shelter…(though I’d hate to be in one if a bomb went off next to it…….you’d surely loose your eardrums for starters!)…..
I would prefer to be in it than standing outside it.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Auxiliary Fire figthers and rubble(Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.)
« Reply #445 on: January 23, 2022, 05:25:11 PM »
Simon has released at little more of the backlog .
I must admit I'm quite looking forward to getting some paint on them. Oddly enough I'm not as daunted by all the rubble as I thought I was going to be. Once I realised I'd plenty of the colours I use for brick,already in stock. It'll be even easier if I represent brick dust. With the dry rust pigment I've never bothered opening.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #446 on: January 23, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »
These look brilliant!  I second the call for swimmers! Lol

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2022, 10:01:07 PM »
Brilliant!

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2022, 09:57:48 AM »
I must admit I'm quite looking forward to getting some paint on them.

Ditto.

Great stuff, Mark

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Homefront rubble and auxiliary fire pump ( tsg's WW2 thread)
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Cheers Chaps,
I wasn't 100% sold on these translating well with gamers. How I intend on using them is to combine them with the refugees to act as ways to block roads and slow advances ( difficult terrain being one theory) and to block LOS. Or just to add some sideline scene setting on a table.
The actual pump predates the war and was sold internationally so its possible to use it in both military and civilian setting on both sides of the conflict. Plus it was still around and in use in civil defence during the cold war( styling changed towards the end of the cold War.)
Without knowing how well these would sell in advance. I haven't invested my time in doing a German Auxiliary Fire crew.But it's something that could be added in as little as two weeks once there's sufficient feed back to warrant me pulling late nighters.
To change the pump into the military version towed by lorries and water tenders. Is a very simple conversion. As the only real difference is the towing eye,which is mounted on a dog leg extension.
All that requires is one vertical cut to the towing eye just where it meets the hose's. Then reattaching it at the desired height with a rectangle of plasti card acting as the joining  piece between the main body and the towing eye.

Just for fun here's another soft skin I'm musing over making.