Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish for IWI/ICW/VBCW?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Skirmish for IWI/ICW/VBCW?
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
Hello

A while ago (2009) I collected and painted two small forces for the Irish War of Independence, which, in a pinch, could be used for ICW or VBCW. Thing is that I only have a few: 30+ Irish, 16 Black and Tans and 8 British regulars, plus one Armoured Car. They are enough for small skirmishes, but many of the rules that I have been looking demand bigger forces. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a skirmish ruleset that could be used with the models I already have.

I have thought to use Fistful of Lead (PDF is only 7.00 $), but I don't know how well would adapt to early 20th Century skirmish. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Skirmish for IWI/ICW/VBCW?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
Well I use Pulp Alley for VBCW skirmish games but, at this level, my VBCW is of the whimsical-bordering-on-silly variety: Morris-men, clowns, escaped chimps, cricketers, Womens' Institute etc. Not sure how PA would suit something more hard-nosed like the IWI.

Doug

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »
Chain of Command would work fine. There are also free downloads to take it back to the Spanish Civil War period, and the technology is the same. 
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »
We used to use Triumph and Tragedy for VBCW, shifted to Bolt Action, and are now experimenting with a modified version of The Men Who Would be King.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 10:49:55 PM »
Chain of Command is designed for platoon sized actions of approx 25-35 men per side.

You would need to make up your own lists with command structure.

Doug's tip about the SCW is a good one - there is also an Abyssinian set of mods that might give you some ideas also