Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Big plastic ancients ; any leads?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Big plastic ancients ; any leads?
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:08:58 PM »
What are the largest/ tallest plastic historical ranges you guys know of? Victrix? Agema? Warlord?

They don't necessarily have to be ancients, but could also be dark ages.

I always like my miniatures to do double duty, and I'm looking for some miniatures that can double as mooks in Conan's Hyperborean setting, which I always felt was more of an ancient style setting in armys and armor than more modern interpretations. Since fantasy miniatures tend to run a little taller than historicals I'm hoping to find some ranges in plastic that won't look as out of place as my Gripping Beast dark age plastics do

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Big plastic ancients ; any leads?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
What are the largest/ tallest plastic historical ranges you guys know of? Victrix? Agema? Warlord?

They don't necessarily have to be ancients, but could also be dark ages.

I always like my miniatures to do double duty, and I'm looking for some miniatures that can double as mooks in Conan's Hyperborean setting, which I always felt was more of an ancient style setting in armys and armor than more modern interpretations. Since fantasy miniatures tend to run a little taller than historicals I'm hoping to find some ranges in plastic that won't look as out of place as my Gripping Beast dark age plastics do

Thanks in advance for any help!

It’s tempting to recommend some 54mms here, but I assume you’re talking 28s...😀

Warlord are no bigger than GB, and Agema are very slender compared to fantasy minis.  Victrix are the tallest of the four.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 12:04:20 AM »
I know the OP specified plastics, but if metal figs are an option it might be worth looking at Aventine Miniatures. They are a bit closer to heroic fantasy size than most ancients and they’re really nice models.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 01:06:11 AM »
For 28mm agema and Victrix stand about the same height, but Romans from Victrix are bulkier and agema has bigger shields.

Warlords caesarians are also a fair size. Wargames factory made some big Hoplites amongst other minis.  Those are the biggest 28mm plastics I know.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »
Expeditionary Force produces a range of really nice 54mm plastic Greeks.  A few years ago Conte made some Greek and Persian figures; possibly still available on the secondary market.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! I'll take a look at Aventine metals and start making plans for some Victrix ancients.

I have a number of the WGF Hoplites left, but many have already been fed to the conversion machine...
I wish they were still available!

For the 45-54mm scale are there any that are modeled in the nude, or perhaps just with loincloths or similar primitive clothing? I need some Pool of the Black One giant guys...

Offline DaveL

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
If you want big, then as has been already stated, Expeditionary Force or Conte are your best bets (60mm sized figures).
My own preference is Ex-Force