Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Model making is not a crime!  (Read 2772 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Model making is not a crime!
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »
Had a video banned back in June under YouTube's hate speech policy. Some kind soul wrote a piece about it...

https://reclaimthenet.org/youtube-hate-speech-censorship-model-game-communities/

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Model making is not a crime!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
basically extreme guidelines probably associated with aggressive but not properly developed software... you do not know how many comments to blog I had removed because they were 'spam' when I was only commenting on the poster (usually about models or wargames!). I had a comment removed twice and  I was pointing out a wrong identification on a AFV in a picture...

It is like the weird decision spam filters does. I had a mail from RMAS War Studies ending in the  spam folder .... go figure....
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
I heard some bloke and his kid were hauled in by special branch for playing VBCW, you got off lightly.

I'm not painting anymore Templars just in case  ::)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
Politics  chaps...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 02:35:49 AM »
Politics  chaps...

Where?

It’s a reasonable discussion of the unreasonable repression of YouTube. Nothing more.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:13:15 AM »
This was posted all over the Bolt action facebook page...by the guy who it affected. And he was told to go elsewhere there as well.

At the end of the day, youtube are a private company and free to do as they wish within their own company (within reason) if that includes kicking people for what they deem hate speech thats up to them.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:57:56 AM »
Where?

It’s a reasonable discussion of the unreasonable repression of YouTube. Nothing more.

There will be my friend,there will be...

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »
Seems like a problem with their new software.  If some one complains about their reject it should be reviewed and analyzed to improve the screening. Granted it might take some time to be allowed but it shouldn't have been dismissed out of hand.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
Maybe I am missing something. The title to me is inflamatory and misleading, perhaps deliberately so, perhaps not. The alleged ban has nothing to do with the criminality of modelling. It appears to be about broadcasting the "politics" and perceived hatreds of the various factions.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
A computer programme created by humans failed to do its job.

News at 11.

I must agree that this verges into politics - and with the above poster's comments on questionable thread titling.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 08:33:38 PM »
The alleged ban has nothing to do with the criminality of modelling. It appears to be about broadcasting the "politics" and perceived hatreds of the various factions.

This is what it looks like to me. The article clearly states the video included speeches by Oswald Mosely, head of the British Union of Fascists. The niceties of the context in which these recordings were used aside (which might be laughed at in a game setting), perhaps YouTube didn't want their platform to be used for broadcasting fascist propaganda!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
Whilst I can understand Phil's disappointment.
The point is simple.This is nearly a decade old video and the world has changed significantly.What was acceptable has changed.
The use of the internet has spiraled .Hate  propaganda is often embedded in the benign.How ever innocent Phil's original intent was .The fact remains it is a video with audio embedded hate propaganda.
There is no socialy acceptable form of Hate driven propaganda.All social media companies are being politically and economically preasured to crack down on such content.The reality is it is there in the video .
This forum when in German ownership .Banned any form of fascist symbols or audio.
Which we all happily compiled with it.If you inadvertently broke the rules and your content was removed or edited.You just became more vigilant and mindful.I personally fell pray to this simply because the symbol on the model held no significance to me so it didn't mentally register.
I suspect Phil operated in a similar fashion.

Every day people are being dragged over the coals and even fired for comments they've made historically on social media platforms.

I think sometimes its possible to loose sight of the fact that historical wargames.Are sanitized versions of events often Driven by Hate whatever its form.
It doesn't do any harm to be occasionally reminded.
That certain flags represent more than a tricky painting session.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Well said.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
This was posted all over the Bolt action facebook page...by the guy who it affected. And he was told to go elsewhere there as well.

At the end of the day, youtube are a private company and free to do as they wish within their own company (within reason) if that includes kicking people for what they deem hate speech thats up to them.

I thought exactly the same but i found out that youtube had a deal with the american goverment . They get some goverment support in various forms and in exchange they have to act as a free speach bastion. Now hate speach offcourse is not included, and there is the problem of defining  every time what exactly hate speech is.

The main problem imo is that youtube as company tries to run the biggest video library in existence with a sceleton crew. Algorithms and automated precedures can only regulate things to a point. They need many more people to check the content. There are cases where experimental archaeological content was characterized as potential terrorist guides. In other cases you just need only some spitful individuals to flag your videos as inappropriate. The whole situation is a huge mess.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:35:45 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
Facebook banned a posting of a nude portrait that I'd seen and admired a little earlier in London; though in fairness, they backed down when I challenged their ruling.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.