Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Danielle Mead Skjelver's thesis: Paul Dolnstein's Landsknechts c.1500  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
A shame there's no cross-posting feature....

Back in 2013 on TMP, Daniel S. mentioned Danielle Mead Skjelver's thesis: "there I, Paul Dolnstein, saw action." The sketchbook of a warrior artisan in the German Renaissance

Kept procrastinating over purchasing the digital and hardcopy versions from proquest, but it appears the former is now available gratis on the University of North Dakota's Theses and Dissertations page: "there I, Paul Dolnstein, Saw Action." The Sketchbook Of A Warrior Artisan In The German Renaissance. :)

Supplementary material from Academia.edu: Medieval Poultry, or A Recipe and a Battle Scene

Contains the full sketch of the 1502 Siege of €lvsborg, Sweden and a poultry recipe involving brushing the bird with an honey and salt water or urine mixture!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Danielle Mead Skjelver's thesis: Paul Dolnstein's Landsknechts c.1500
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 06:24:25 AM »
A shame there's no cross-posting feature....

Back in 2013 on TMP, Daniel S. mentioned Danielle Mead Skjelver's thesis: "there I, Paul Dolnstein, saw action." The sketchbook of a warrior artisan in the German Renaissance

Kept procrastinating over purchasing the digital and hardcopy versions from proquest, but it appears the former is now available gratis on the University of North Dakota's Theses and Dissertations page: "there I, Paul Dolnstein, Saw Action." The Sketchbook Of A Warrior Artisan In The German Renaissance. :)

Again. Fantastic and much appreciated. I've not got so many Pdf's open my laptop is slowing down  lol

Supplementary material from Academia.edu: Medieval Poultry, or A Recipe and a Battle Scene

Contains the full sketch of the 1502 Siege of €lvsborg, Sweden and a poultry recipe involving brushing the bird with an honey and salt water or urine mixture!

Yeah, I generally remove the skin, trim the fat off, leave out the salt; don't mind the honey but deffo skip the urine  lol ;D

Man, they knew how to eat in the latter Middle Ages  :P lol

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:11 AM »
Coincidentally, just two days ago I was browsing through his illustrations that made it to the Landsknecht Soldier book by Osprey - I guess I should try to take a look at this at some point.

Might skip testing the poultry recipe, though.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:37:55 AM »
Coincidentally, just two days ago I was browsing through his illustrations that made it to the Landsknecht Soldier book by Osprey - I guess I should try to take a look at this at some point.

I've got that project coming ASAP too :)

Might skip testing the poultry recipe, though.

Meh, I double dare you!  ;D

Offline Stuart H

• Assistant
    • Towton 28mm
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks, really useful.

If you havent alreadu seen it do look at the images and text (in German) in Birgit von Seggern (2003): Der Landsknecht im Spiegel der Renaissancegraphik um 1500-1540, PhD thesis, Bonn, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjqoOi0w9LkAhVStXEKHS0gCHkQFjAAegQIABAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhss.ulb.uni-bonn.de%2F2003%2F0285%2F0285.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3MAEbGK5bTS-cuVd6xdX1e

Stuart
Stuart H

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the link to the Dolnstein thesis, Condottiere. I've been trying to get a copy of that through my local university library, to no avail, so great that it is available for free!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the link to the Dolnstein thesis, Condottiere. I've been trying to get a copy of that through my local university library, to no avail, so great that it is available for free!

Yeah, despite the dress being later then I was looking for this is all very interesting stuff Stuart. Quite a lot of information to absorb.

Excellent stuff.

Offline Komsomol

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
Thanks for finding this and posting Condottiere - excellent stuff.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:32:30 AM »
Thanks for finding this and posting Condottiere - excellent stuff.

Ditto the above- appreciated  8)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 01:12:53 AM »
Yeah, despite the dress being later then I was looking for this is all very interesting stuff Stuart. Quite a lot of information to absorb.

Excellent stuff.
Sketch 13 places Dolnstein at Montfort in 1491 and 16 and 18 in the Landshut War (1503-1504), so how early are your Landsknechts supposed to be?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 07:34:12 AM »
Sketch 13 places Dolnstein at Montfort in 1491 and 16 and 18 in the Landshut War (1503-1504), so how early are your Landsknechts supposed to be?

1499 so pretty much spot on with TAG.