Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:27:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TMWWBK Cape Skrimish Scenarios  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
TMWWBK Cape Skrimish Scenarios
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
Hi all,

I realise that there are a number of generic scenarios in TMWWBK book but I'm specifically looking for tailor made scenarios for the First and Second Cape wars, all combatants included/considered.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: TMWWBK Cape Skrimish Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
I've never even heard of anyone gaming those wars. We don't get much 18th Century gaming on this board. Sorry, beyond the odd paragraph describing the wars I know pretty much nothing about them.

Look forward to hearing about it, should you come up with anything. Pics would be cool, too.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
I've never even heard of anyone gaming those wars. We don't get much 18th Century gaming on this board. Sorry, beyond the odd paragraph describing the wars I know pretty much nothing about them.

Look forward to hearing about it, should you come up with anything. Pics would be cool, too.  :)

I bought the Cape Warriors Volume 1 Frontier Warfare & Fighting Men in Colonial South Africa 1834-53, Mike Snook a while back and should have the second book, Cape Warriors Volume II- British Battles in Colonial South Africa 1834-53 on the way soon.

I was just wondering if anyone had played any TMWWBK scenarios of their own devising?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »
Those are both books worth having, but they don't cover the period you mentioned, unfortunately. The First and Second Cape Wars were fought between the Dutch and the locals in the 18th Century. The Brits weren't in South Africa at that time.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
I've often considered doing the Cape Wars, well some of them, in 15mm.  My inspiration was a book called Frontiers by Noél Mostert which is a must have for anyone interested in the period.

A couple of things come to mind.  The Xhosa liked shotguns and much of the fighting was in very close terrain.  I can think of at least one occasion when the Xhosa attacked a town.  The Khoi Khoi at one stage allied with the Xhosa providing Boer style horsemen firing from the saddle.  If I recall anything else I'll post it.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
There are lots of possibilities.  Xhosa ambush British wagon train, British/colonial troops sweep the bush for the Xhosa, Xhosa raid a frontier settler farm, British/colonial troops try to capture a Xhosa leader, British/colonial forces break out of a besieged frontier fort, etc etc  Small-scale bush warfare stuff.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Have you thought of using Musket and Tomahawk rules? I have played a few games of Cape Wars using these rules and find they work really well with just a few period specific modifications.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
Those are both books worth having, but they don't cover the period you mentioned, unfortunately. The First and Second Cape Wars were fought between the Dutch and the locals in the 18th Century. The Brits weren't in South Africa at that time.

I'm getting my dates mixed up. I was really thinking of looking at the British and their involvement in the Cape Wars.

There are lots of possibilities.  Xhosa ambush British wagon train, British/colonial troops sweep the bush for the Xhosa, Xhosa raid a frontier settler farm, British/colonial troops try to capture a Xhosa leader, British/colonial forces break out of a besieged frontier fort, etc etc  Small-scale bush warfare stuff.

Thanks Bazookajoe.

All great ideas and is definitely food for thought.

Have you thought of using Musket and Tomahawk rules? I have played a few games of Cape Wars using these rules and find they work really well with just a few period specific modifications.

I don't even own a copy of the rules. How would they compare to TMWWBK?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »
I have no idea which issues, but there were a few articles on this in Wargames Illustrated and I believe in the early years.  Don't know if there were scenarios included or only background information.  And, of course, decades before the rules you are inquiring about.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »
I have no idea which issues, but there were a few articles on this in Wargames Illustrated and I believe in the early years.  Don't know if there were scenarios included or only background information.  And, of course, decades before the rules you are inquiring about.

Thanks, that's a lot of digging  lol

I've a literal mountain of WI's that I have simply refused to get rid of! Not to mention other mags, no! Not that sort!!  :)

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:20 AM »
I don't even own a copy of the rules. How would they compare to TMWWBK?

While they are suited to conflicts in America during the 18th century a lot of the mechanics can be used to suit the dense terrain warfare of the Cape Wars. TMWWBK are great rules but can be a bit generic. M & T's activation is random via specific cards but certain units have more cards than others, but less actions when they are played so some units are more flexible but less effective if that makes sense? I find this suits the difference between Trained Regular Infantry and Irregular forces that may be more familiar with their surroundings.

A user on this forum (Happy Wanderer) made a Colonial Variant for the rules called Rifles and Spears which I have used alongside the rules from the main book. I'm not too picky though and figure muskets are muskets. Here is the link to his blog: https://agrabbagofgames.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/masai-iv/