Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Little Big Uruk  (Read 12491 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Little Big Uruk
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »
I agree. I think that there is a "mistake" about the real scale of War of the Ring : GW wants us to think that it's a game for biiiiiiig battles but it's "only" a game for WFB like battles.

And WITH warhamster-like battle magic...  >:(
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »
Let's face it, you cannot play anything like the appocalyptic battles in LotR on a tabletop. A couple of 10.000 troops on each side? Forget it. So the "big battles" they present us at GW are minor skirmishes in reality.

That's why I actually like LotR as a skirmish game without pretending to be anything but.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:37 AM »
Interesting thread, I've lurked a few times and this got me to register. First off, my friends and I huge fans of Warmaster and several of us really like the idea of replicating part of our 10mm army in  28mm. One of these friends has already begun and I may follow.

That said, I'm confused as to your goals with this. Let me explain. After playing Warmaster, several of us asked, why ever play big battles with 28mm ever again? There is nothing like a Warmaster army to give you the feel of a sizable battle, and after that, Warhammer size confrontations are duller than they were before (which is saying something). And so we play skirmish games in 28, and big battles in 10mm. We are actually really into skirmish and really into full size confrontations, and the warhammer "middle ground" has lost its appeal.

The DRAW then, the whole reason to make figs in both scales, is that we can model the scouts, heroes, etc in 28 and run skirmishes with them, then turn around and run huge battles in 10mm for the same campaign. My friend also wants to make a fleet of ships and get Man'O'War into it . .

But, fbruntz, you're saying you want to play the same style of big battles with both scales! That's where I'm scratching my head.  o_o  Still, awesome figs, they look fantastic, and good luck with the battles!

Offline fbruntz

• Bookworm
    • Les Chroniques Ludiques
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
But, fbruntz, you're saying you want to play the same style of big battles with both scales! That's where I'm scratching my head.  o_o  Still, awesome figs, they look fantastic, and good luck with the battles!

In fact I want to play a whole campaign with different game systems. I'm sorry my english is poor so I can't explain that clearly. Let's take a simple example.

I want to play the war between Rohan and Isengard. I'll use the Lord of the Ring to play skirmishes (a Rohan patrol is trapped by Uruks), War of the Ring to play limited engagement (for example the attack of Eomer against the Uruk who have captured the two hobbits) and Warmaster to play big battles (Helm's Deep!).
François Bruntz

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »
Looking really nice! Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »
Awesome painting.

Here's me considering selling all my LOTR stuff and converting to 10mm warmaster or BOTFA...  :)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »

In fact I want to play a whole campaign with different game systems. I'm sorry my english is poor so I can't explain that clearly. Let's take a simple example.

I want to play the war between Rohan and Isengard. I'll use the Lord of the Ring to play skirmishes (a Rohan patrol is trapped by Uruks), War of the Ring to play limited engagement (for example the attack of Eomer against the Uruk who have captured the two hobbits) and Warmaster to play big battles (Helm's Deep!).

Oh, pardon me, now I understand.  :) Sounds like we have similar notions.

Offline fbruntz

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
Hop, Sharku for Warmaster :

And the whole chain of command of the army :

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
 After seeing this topic I placed an order for several packs of miniatures from Copplestone.Really cool little sculpts.Just noticed my Sauruman is missing.They dont have contact details on the site either.

Looking forward to seeing updates to your forces.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 03:20:47 AM »
Hi

I played a bit of big battle LOTR with 6mm a few years ago (before the movies came out or the GW set). I have some pictures of figures and information here, although figures could do with a repaint.

Figure galleries
http://6mm.wargaming.info/page1.shtml

I also wrote some first age and WOTR scenarios for Chipcos Fantasy rules but you should be able to convert them to Warmaster easily enough. I tried to stick more to the books than the movies although there are some options for troops from the movies

Scenarios
http://6mm.wargaming.info/page71.shtml

If you have any questions about these let me know.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline fbruntz

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
After seeing this topic I placed an order for several packs of miniatures from Copplestone.Really cool little sculpts.Just noticed my Sauruman is missing.They dont have contact details on the site either.

There is a form to contact them :
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/contact.php

But didn't you receive a mail to confirm your order?

6mmfan, thanks for the links I'll carrefuly read that.

Next pictures will come soon : 25mm Lurtz and Uruks... After these ones, there will be a 10mm Warg Riders unit. Lots of work!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »
Great looking little dudes all around here. But I cannot even finish my Battle of Five Armies pack...  :(

Offline fbruntz

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
These are some pictures of Lurtz for the War of the Ring :

Coming soon : pictures of a company of uruks.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
 Thanks for the link to get in-touch with mark.

What do you base your 10mm miniatures on?

I have boxes full of GW lord of The Rings miniatures with only a few painted.The 10mm scale seems to be a much better way to go.

Offline fbruntz

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the link to get in-touch with mark.

You're welcome.

What do you base your 10mm miniatures on?

Old coins of 20 cents (French Franc). As we now use Euros, I don't need these coins any more. ;)